Putting in an offer 'Subject To Visa'

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hi - We are hoping to come out on a reccie in October/November.

We've made some enquiries and have been told that we can make an offer on a house 'Subject to Visa' - has anyone got experience of this? :err:

I imagine it's not very popular with sellers - and they will still take offers from other buyers?

When your visa comes through, do you have to buy the house - i.e: is it a legally binding offer?

Any advice will be extremely appreciated - thank you!

Alexis

Guest Aussie pat

The Real Estate Institute of South Australia (REISA) has a really good website for answering questions. We have sent them 2 questions in the past week about buying a house and they have been very helpful.

Goodluck.

Hedy

Guest Lulujim
Just out of curiosity why do you want to put an offer on a house you havent seen?

Oooh no - we're not that crazy!!? :goofy: It would only be if we saw our dream house in Nov on the reccie I mentioned above... as my OH has got a job to go to, and we are lucky enough to have sold already, it would be nice to save on rent and go straight to a house. Hopefully the visa might come soon after that going by other's timelines etc....

Aussiepat - BIG BIG thanks for your help - I have emailed them and look fwd to their response! :)

Alexis x

Oooh no - we're not that crazy!!? :goofy: It would only be if we saw our dream house in Nov on the reccie I mentioned above... as my OH has got a job to go to, and we are lucky enough to have sold already, it would be nice to save on rent and go straight to a house. Hopefully the visa might come soon after that going by other's timelines etc....

Aussiepat - BIG BIG thanks for your help - I have emailed them and look fwd to their response! :)

Alexis x

aww i didnt see the reccie bit :biglaugh: hope u find your dream home then x

Guest Lulujim
" Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy"

nora ehphron

i think that sums it up well :)

haha!! Thanks.

I said to a friend the other day 'I'm so dippy since having the girls, can never remember anything these days, like where I've put my car keys etc..' She said 'That's ok, you only need to worry when you've got your car keys but can't remember what tthey're for!' :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I dont think you will find a seller willing to wait on how long you may take. House sales here go through in as little as 4 weeks and after the cool off period which is usually 48 hrs the house is yours in the way that you have to take out insurance and you the seller choose the settlement date between you.

You never know though, stranger things have happened.

sarah

Guest Lulujim

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies. Bit of a weird one, I know. Basically we have been chosen by A Place in the Sun to film an episode in South Australia in Oct/Nov. However, our visa hasn't arrived yet (in Jan when we applied for the show we thought we'd have it by now). They are being really understanding, but say that due to all the new regulations and scandals that have been happening over here in TV, (lying to viewers, competitions, phone call charges etc..) if they tell the viewers we are ready to buy - we have to be ready to buy.

The only way they can see round this is if we were legally able to put in an offer 'Subject to Visa'. Obviously we might not see a house, and even if we put in an offer - I expect (as you all confirmed) it wouldn't be worth much - but it would be the answer for Channel 4 to make their programme with a favourable outcome - and mean we could get free flights and accommodation to see SA before we move there!!!!

We really hope it all works out, the producer's in Aus at the mo researching property, and is going to call this morning to say yes or no...am so nervous :confused:

We def can't afford to do a reccie without this, and James has been offered a job which it would be great to see in person before accepting - so this is a huuuge help for us.

Am keeping my fingers crossed - and will post the outcome as soon as we hear.

Many thanks for all of your help - as usual I knew PIA people would know the answer!!

Take care, x x

Guest Aussie pat

We all seem to be great subjects for TV programs. Libby on 'Wanted Down Under' and now 'A Place in the Sun'. When our house went on the market 'Escape to the Country' approached us and it is in the current series they are producing. Sadly we only got £1 for the privilege as they made us sign a copyright document and a token sum had to change hands. Wish we'd got a trip to Australia!

Hedy

Guest Nick & Jo

You were lucky Hedy, our house was filmed for 'Escape to the Country' as well earlier in the year and we didn't get anything for it!! It's due to be on next month I think in the UK, so our families are looking out for it to tape for us. (It never sold in the end though.)

Jo

Guest Aussie pat
You were lucky Hedy, our house was filmed for 'Escape to the Country' as well earlier in the year and we didn't get anything for it!! It's due to be on next month I think in the UK, so our families are looking out for it to tape for us. (It never sold in the end though.)

Jo

To be honest Jo they never bothered to pay us the £1 and we never pushed it as it was just a bit of a laugh really. Our house was never visited. They used the photographs to show people what they could get in the same area for a different budget.

Hope you sell soon. It must be a nice house to be featured on the program.

Hedy