Where to avoid in Adelaide????

Guest warren1832

Guest warren1832

Hi Everyone!!

My wife and i are looking to emigrate to Adelaide very soon and need some help on where to live and not to!!. We looked at developments in Muno Parra and around Darvoren Park but heard its a bit dodgy round there?!!. We have thought about Mount Barker as well as it seems ok. Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would avoid Davoron Park if I were you. A friend of ours used to teach at the primary school there. It's a deprived area, lots of nationalities, lots of kids who don't speak English as their first language. Anything with Para in the name is probably a bit dodgy too. Haven't been to Munno Para but Paralowie and of course Elizabeth aren't the best areas. I'm sure others on this site will advise you of areas not too far from there which are much nicer.

Guest Libby1971

:notworthy::notworthy:

Well you do know how to take your life in your own hands!

People can be touchy about areas around Adelaide. There are some people who don't like anywhere south of the city. As I live here, I get a tad touchy about that, although I am quite pleased when people say they are heading north as it means things are a little busy. However, I wouldn't go anywhere north, well maybe Barossa, and quite rightly those who live that way are quick to defend.

Some are more vocal than others, so just get ready to duck. Mount Barker is a nice area, quiet and a little way out. It was very nice. I wasn't sure how much there would be for our girls to do there or schools nearby. It took about 30mins to get into the city from there using the expressway.

Guest Guest75
I would avoid Davoron Park if I were you. A friend of ours used to teach at the primary school there. It's a deprived area, lots of nationalities, lots of kids who don't speak English as their first language. Anything with Para in the name is probably a bit dodgy too.

I'm Paraplegic so are you going to avoid me?????????

Joke,joke,joke before I get jumped on.

Sorry I could not resist.

Another old favourite is avoid a suburb with the word "Downs" in it but that's just a syndrome............. Joke,joke,joke before I get fumped!!!!

Sorry,it's my sense of humour and I alone appreciate it at times.

Yes , there are some areas to avoid in general but really have a good look around once you arrive.

:)

I'm feeling very non pc tonight.

Guest rockpool crab
Another old favourite is avoid a suburb with the word "Downs" in it but that's just a syndrome............. Joke,joke,joke before I get fumped!!!!

lol..I actually did laugh out loud..love it.

Carol Ann

I'm Paraplegic so are you going to avoid me?????????

Joke,joke,joke before I get jumped on.

Sorry I could not resist.

Sorry,it's my sense of humour and I alone appreciate it at times.

Yes , there are some areas to avoid in general but really have a good look around once you arrive.

:)

I'm feeling very non pc tonight.

now now tyke thats not very pc of you is it? (said in best john cleese voice) was funny though. As usual itts best to have a good look round yourself as everyones opinions differ and what i might like may not be for u etc

Guest salisbury massive

Hi Warren

Look its a common theme that the North East suburbs are a deprived area and should be avoided at all costs. However there are some great areas up my way that are very very nice. Your comment about Munno Para leads me to think you are looking to build a house? If thats the case I would certainly avoid Daveren Park, it is rough but virtually next door is Andrews Farm which is a new estate and where IanB lives. I wouldn't live in Munno Para either but the Shopping Centre is fantastic. Have you been drawn to these areas because of work?

If you are interested in the North East suburbs then I can help you with some suggestions. Being by the beach was never an issue for us as a family so we didn't look in the south. Also my brother lived up this way and I couldn't see the point of moving 12,000 miles to still live an hours drive from him.

Jo

This probably won't help much...

As Libby has pointed out areas can be a hot topic for many people and I have seen many a heated debate on this forum about areas but this is my view point:

I think it is impossible for anyone to comment on an area to somebody else as everyone's expectations are different. For instance I came from a pretty dodgy area in the UK so I think most areas I have seen in Adelaide are OK but somebody who lived a posh area in the UK may have different view. Also it depends whether you have children, need to be close to public transport or want to be in the hills or near the beach etc. The best advice I can give would be to find a location pretty central when you get here and go and explore the different area, certainly don't invest in a project before you have a good look around Adelaide.

Hope you find what you are looking for in Adelaide

Kris

Guest warren1832

Hi Jo,

We only thought about Muno Parra and Davoren Park as we saw new build houses which were cheap....im starting to see why now!!!. We have thought about Mount Barker and need some advice on other areas as we havent been out yet which we need to do really. Is Mount Barker North of Adelaide and a nice place?. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

well i am not getting drawn into a slanging match. We are happy where we are, its quieter where we are than anything we was used to in UK. All our neighbours are really nice, all ozzies and very helpful.

Just goes to show research and finding a suitable area is a personal preference

Guest Guzzler&Sas

next door is Andrews Farm which is a new estate and where IanB lives.

Andrews Farm is okay but living next to Iab B I would avoid:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:,

Guzzler

Guest Rob and Clare
Hi Jo,

We only thought about Muno Parra and Davoren Park as we saw new build houses which were cheap....im starting to see why now!!!. We have thought about Mount Barker and need some advice on other areas as we havent been out yet which we need to do really. Is Mount Barker North of Adelaide and a nice place?. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

Whilst everyone here gets defensive about their areas, us included, it does appear that nearly everybody takes to where they settle really easily.

The best areas are the ones nearest to the city (generally and most expensive) where as the suburbs i find much of a muchness, all with good and bad points. One area in particular always seems to get bad press is Elizabeth or anywhere around Elizabeth, which is odd, as it appears most people have never lived there to find out and it's all hearsay. To walk around Elizabeth Shopping Centre is the same as walking around Collenades, same shops same type of people. I work to the south of the city and all the ozzies i work with prefer to bad mouth Morphette Vale, Christies Beach and Hackam, yet i find them all relatively peacefull to the Ghetto of West Bromwich...

Have a look at the following link

http://www.ocsar.sa.gov.au/maps.html

Change the view to Local Governement areas and you'll see the high crime areas for yourself. Some of safest areas inlcude all the areas around Elizabeth, Munna Parra, Andrews Farm, Craigmore, virginia, One Tree hill.

So use the crime map as a guide to help, but only as a guide.

You'll have to install the viewer to look at it though...

Cheers

Hi Warren

Look its a common theme that the North East suburbs are a deprived area and should be avoided at all costs. However there are some great areas up my way that are very very nice. Your comment about Munno Para leads me to think you are looking to build a house? If thats the case I would certainly avoid Daveren Park, it is rough but virtually next door is Andrews Farm which is a new estate and where IanB lives. I wouldn't live in Munno Para either but the Shopping Centre is fantastic. Have you been drawn to these areas because of work?

If you are interested in the North East suburbs then I can help you with some suggestions. Being by the beach was never an issue for us as a family so we didn't look in the south. Also my brother lived up this way and I couldn't see the point of moving 12,000 miles to still live an hours drive from him.

Jo

Your ok in Salisbury heights, but Salisbury North and Elizabeth should be avoided at all costs, full of the pomms who came here in the 60's the $10 pomms who left th UK for a better life all they have done is lowered the tone of the ares. Munno Para and Smithfeild are not much better, but then again most of the southern burbs are not much better changing the name to Huntingdale Heights may confuse a few for a while but its still Hackham, the east is the way to go if you can afford it

There was nothing wrong with the 10 pound Poms, they didn't lower the tone. Those suburbs were full of community spirit as they all started new lives. It all went belly up when there was a down turn in employment in the 70s and industry became less labour intensive. This started the long term cycle of unemployment and the problems inherent in this. It also happened in Australian working families.

Your ok in Salisbury heights, but Salisbury North and Elizabeth should be avoided at all costs, full of the pomms who came here in the 60's the $10 pomms who left th UK for a better life all they have done is lowered the tone of the ares. Munno Para and Smithfeild are not much better, but then again most of the southern burbs are not much better changing the name to Huntingdale Heights may confuse a few for a while but its still Hackham, the east is the way to go if you can afford it

Or the NorthEast, eh Marty? ;)

Diane (fellow Highbury resident!) (oh and I'm reliably informed that it's not "Smithfield" it's "Smifffeeld")

Guest salisbury massive
Your ok in Salisbury heights,

Phew, for a minute there I thought I was rough!!!;)

Mike, what line of work are you in as that can make a difference to where you live? I can't comment about Mount Barker, only ever driven through. But if you are looking at newish places in the north east, which is about 30 - 40 minutes drive to the city then I would suggest you check out, Wynn Vale, Golden Grove, Greenwith, Salisbury Heights (obviously). For some slightly older burbs with bigger plots, have a look at Fairview Park, Redwood Park, Banksia Park, Highbury, Hope Valley, Paradise & Athelstone. If you want to live in newer houses and close to the city, check out Northgate, Oakden and the new supposed Eastern suburb of Lights View.

Jo

Guest Christoph

Have a look at the following link

http://www.ocsar.sa.gov.au/maps.html

Change the view to Local Governement areas and you'll see the high crime areas for yourself. Some of safest areas inlcude all the areas around Elizabeth, Munna Parra, Andrews Farm, Craigmore, virginia, One Tree hill.

So use the crime map as a guide to help, but only as a guide.

In terms of the Oscar Map - one observation: It pays to look for the type of crime. Don't just assume that a low crime area means save parks and sobriety all around. If you're going for the areas with the highest break-ins and car thefts, you'll be hitting the good parts of town (obviously, where there’s little to nick, the perps go elsewhere).

If the granularity of the map allows to list domestic violence it’s not going to give you good information either. In my opinion, there’s little use from those kinds of maps to help locate save areas. The only exception is maybe bikie and drug related offences.

As for the actual “feel” of a suburb, nothing beats visiting… Since rental costs are a fair bit below mortgage payments, you might want to start off on a rental property and “try before you buy”?

Finally, there’s a lot to be had from Google Maps – Adelaide has been covered by the Streetmap application and you can see at great detail how any particular street looks like. I personally find this by far the most useable tool in determining desirability.

I'm also reliably informed that it's not "Huntingdale Heights'' it's " Huntfield Heights''icon12.gif