need help now we are here

sueoc

can any of you in adelaide help we arrived yesterday and are in really poor accommodation two teenagers really unhappy desparate to find rental any advice on where to live that is ok for 18 and 16 year old boys also easy to get to flinders hospital where i will be working. feel really worried that we will not find the house we want some seem very old fashioned and poorly decorated we want new house good area quickly.....help help help

Guest Libby1971

Hi Sue

I don't know where you are...Everard Park by the sounds of it but here is what advice I can offer you.

Hopefully you have a hire car. Get to a newsagent and buy a copy of the Advertiser. Tomorrow early is really important to get it.

In there you will find information about all the Open Inspections available for tomorrow. Tonight, sit down with a map and work out which areas you think you would like to go to. I am in the south, and I would look at rentals as far south as Noarlunga Downs/ Onkaparinga Hills area. That gives you a drive of approx half an hour from Flinders which is manageable. List the suburbs that you would like to visit.

Then tomorrow, sit down with your map as early as poss and check which viewings are in your chosen suburbs, make a list and go for it. When you find somewhere you like, you will be asked to apply for it which means filling in a form.

I can only offer help from a southern suburbs perspective as it is where I am. I have pm'ed you my mobile number so if you have any more questions, you can get a more immediate response.

Otherwise on Monday morning, get your little list of suburbs and head out to them. Nearby will be at least 3 rental agents, usually either next door to each other or very close by. Go in and get their lists.

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Sue,

Don't panic you will find somewhere nice. Libby has given you some sound advice and it will help you find what you want. It sounds like you are in an older part of Adelaide that is closer to town. You need to look in the newer suburbs further out. Fortunately for you Flinders is heading south of town. I used to work there and for many years lived at Morphett Vale in a brand new home. There are nice areas closer to the city centre but they are very expensive. Whilst you are out and about make sure you have a look at the lovely sea views down south as they will certainly cheer you all up.

Remember also that you are jetlagged and that can also make everyone feel down at first. You will get there, even if you do feel like you have landed on Mars at the moment!

Guest Blackcat

Hi Sue

We live in Blackwood with our two kids a boy of 17 and girl of 12 (her birthday today!). Would recommend you come and have a look at the Blackwood area, it would only take you 10 minutes to Flinders, I work at Flinders Uni. My oldest goes to Blackwood High which has a good reputation, not sure if your boys will be going back to school? Blackwood also has a train station to get into the city, lots of shops and facilites, is only 10 mins or so to the large Marion shopping complex and 20 mins to the nearest beach at Brighton. The areas around Blackwood are nice also such as Belair, Glenata, Hawthorndend, Coromandal Valley, like Libby has said have a good look round different areas and look on realestate.com.au for a rental in the area you decide on. If you need any more help/advice feel free to send me a pm, it does get better with time - honest! Gina

can any of you in adelaide help we arrived yesterday and are in really poor accommodation two teenagers really unhappy desparate to find rental any advice on where to live that is ok for 18 and 16 year old boys also easy to get to flinders hospital where i will be working. feel really worried that we will not find the house we want some seem very old fashioned and poorly decorated we want new house good area quickly.....help help help

I agree with Libby about living down South. You can be near to the beach and it is less crowded than the North. Of course, there is the centre as well if you want city living and have plenty of money... I have lived in the South and close to the beach (Hallett Cove and Seacliff) for 17 years and have loved it. Hallett Cove has fantastic sea views round every corner and is very reasonably priced. I'm assuming that the 681/682 bus still runs from there, ending up at Flinders after a guided tour of the Southern Suburbs! But better to drive - it will only take 15 minutes. Seacliff is 5 minutes down the hill from Hallett Cove, close to a better beach, but more expensive.

A lot of older properties have been refurbished and are very modern. Cazzie and I are moving into a 2.5 bedroom homette 5 minutes walk to Seacliff beach, recently refurbished, ducted heating and cooling, wooden floors etc etc fab place. Obviously with your boys you would need a house, but there are loads around that are lovely, modern or refurbished and great for the beach. Hot tip - try for ducted heating and cooling - you will need the latter in the next few months, the former not so much now, but there will still be plenty of cool nights in September.

As for cheering up your boys - I suggest that you drive into Glenelg on Sunday (park down the side streets off Moseley Street), and head to the central beach area by the jetty (= pier!). There will be loads of cool young people hanging out, and hopefully your boys will imagine themselves doing that soon.

Good luck and don't be put off by your first impressions. Adelaide is a fantastic place to live with a brilliant climate, loads to do for young, old and in-between, and your boys will find friends quickly, because the British are really popular as unlike many newcomers, we assimilate very well into a very familiar culture.

Bill

update situation worse by the second have to leave here on friday still nowhere to go getting desparate youngest boy continues to be very unhappy making everything harder oldest son has started working and is happy i start work on monday spending loads of money that we cannot afford any advise as to what we can do next any help appreciated sue bilyy and boys

Guest sarahsmartiepants
update situation worse by the second have to leave here on friday still nowhere to go getting desparate youngest boy continues to be very unhappy making everything harder oldest son has started working and is happy i start work on monday spending loads of money that we cannot afford any advise as to what we can do next any help appreciated sue bilyy and boys

Is your younger boy going to go to school? Have you checked out the short term rentals that advertise on here maybe they have a week or two till you get somewhere more permanent.

Thats a lot to go through only arriving yesterday, dont despare Sue, it will work out

sarah

Hi, I sympathise entirely. I’ve been here since last Monday and have been battling with the less than helpful Estate Agents. :arghh: It changed my plan of attack and I’m now approaching landlords direct through the Advertiser (as was pointed out by Libby – a good source), http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/ and http://adelaideexchange.com.au. Having much more success and generally feeling better about things :) (I was a little more than hacked off last week). Also, as I’ve been surfing like a man possessed I’ve also camped out in the State Library on North Terrace where free WIFI is available should you need it. Good luck.

Guest lulu and bailey

Hi

sorry to hear your troubles, im re locating to port augusta in the nxt 2-3 weeks , i have a 3 bed 2 bath house near flinders, marion shopping, buses etc its $350 per week and 1 yr old.....email ally.my@gmail.com if interested in viewing, its really nice and will be in the advertiser this week so first come first served![

quote=sueoc;50812]update situation worse by the second have to leave here on friday still nowhere to go getting desparate youngest boy continues to be very unhappy making everything harder oldest son has started working and is happy i start work on monday spending loads of money that we cannot afford any advise as to what we can do next any help appreciated sue bilyy and boys

Guest Libby1971

Kimberley has a rental in Aldinga. It is unfurnished but is available very soon.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6056

PM the following people to see if they have anything that will help, they all have rentals:

Guzzler&Sas - not sure if the person renting is still there now

Roo1 - she has 2 properties I think

Tyke - I think he has 2 or 3

Dale&Jo - I thought they had at least 1

Diane, I think she is Highgate but I may have the details wrong.

I will ask at work tomorrow. I wish there was something I knew to say. All I can see say is that one day you'll laugh your yourself silly about the hideous start to your stay.

If it is any consolation, 3 days after we arrived, we found out that our money had not been transferred to our Aussie account and therefore we had no idea where our money was or when we'd get it. We'd had a day and a half of Aussie bureaucracy and I stood in the middle of the city branch of Commonwelath Bank and told to shove Australia right up their a*se. I advised them that Australia was not 'all that', I'd seen all I wanted to and was not impressed and they could all clear off while I went back to the good ole UK, home, where they knew how to be competent in their jobs and professional! :biglaugh::shocked:Surprisingly they let me keep an account!

once again libby thanx billy has gone to the pub the boys keep saying you know it has all been a mistake i an on the mothers ruin crying into the very expensive internet and know i cant go home cos someone else is living in my lovely home will update you of progress tpmorrow sue

once again libby thanx billy has gone to the pub the boys keep saying you know it has all been a mistake i an on the mothers ruin crying into the very expensive internet and know i cant go home cos someone else is living in my lovely home will update you of progress tpmorrow sue
Look , youve been here 2 minutes, all I would suggest, is ' get a grip' and stop stressing so much.You get nowhere stressing.( this isnt meant to be nasty :)) Oh, secondly , give your male members a kick up the backside and tell them Adelaide wasnt built in a day !!!.The first month isnt easy and youve got to work together. :) Get the papers and take other peoples information and get on the phone and in the car.

No worries mate............shell be right!..........

Guest Aussie pat
Hi, I sympathise entirely. I’ve been here since last Monday and have been battling with the less than helpful Estate Agents. :arghh: It changed my plan of attack and I’m now approaching landlords direct through the Advertiser (as was pointed out by Libby – a good source), http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/ and http://adelaideexchange.com.au. Having much more success and generally feeling better about things :) (I was a little more than hacked off last week). Also, as I’ve been surfing like a man possessed I’ve also camped out in the State Library on North Terrace where free WIFI is available should you need it. Good luck.

Hi Col,

Welcome to PIA. I'm glad things are improving for you and wish you all the best in getting set up. Hope you'll soon be settled and enjoying the sun on your face.

Hedy

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Sue,

I think everyone else has summed things up for me. Please don't give up. Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed for you. It's early days yet and things will slowly settle down. You're being far too hard on yourselves and Adelaide. Remember it took you years to build the life you have left behind. So Adelaide deserves more than a few days.

Hedy

PS You'll probably be able to find a more affordable internet connection once things are less stressful and you have more time to shop around and talk to others. At least you're on the internet for now.

Guest alan smallman

Hi Sue

Haven't been on PIA for a few weeks (still 'trapped' in the UK with a house to sell as so many of us wannabe emigrants are at the moment). Just looked at your posts regarding the problems you are having at the moment with housing etc. How's it going at the moment? Hope it's improving for you and your family. Have you started work yet? How's that going?

Just hope things are starting to improve for you all, thta's all.

Cheers

Alan