Meet and Greet Housing SA

Guest Carkyde

Hi has anyone used the Meet and Greet service and the Housing SA accomodation?

Just wondered what areas the houses are in, are these safe areas, and did anyone have any problems with this service.

I think it is only available for 175 visa holders (which we have!!) Any advice on this would be appreciated as it looks like a cheap starter accomodation. Thanks

Hi has anyone used the Meet and Greet service and the Housing SA accomodation?

Just wondered what areas the houses are in, are these safe areas, and did anyone have any problems with this service.

I think it is only available for 175 visa holders (which we have!!) Any advice on this would be appreciated as it looks like a cheap starter accomodation. Thanks

Hi There,

We made use of this wonderful service.

A friendly couple met us at the airport, me and the kids went with them and my hubby went in the free taxi provided with the luggage.

We were based in Modbury, very near everything you need.

It was a housing association home and although my next door neighbour was friendly the area and people around us were quite undesireable.

we stayed for 12 weeks though and it gave us the references that you need to get renrals ect.

We did find it really useful.

You do have to have your flights booked and give them 6 weeks notice.

This cost us $170 per week.

Lauraxxx:)

We had this service and was in OAA in Novar Gardens. The accomodation was very very basic and non too clean but after a bottle or two of Pine-O-clean it wasn't too bad. The accomodation was very central and very usefull and very very cheap - $130 per week all in!

The meet and greet was good although there was so much to go through once youland that I think it all went a bit over my head!

definitely worth having I think if only until you are over the jet lag and can start to think a bit more clearly - we stayed about 6 weeks until we found a house we liked enough to buy

Good luck

Donna x

Guest theforrests

We used both the Meet & Greet and on arrival housing. We were met at the airport by a very helpful couple who gave us loads of information, a free street map guide called the UBD (invaluable here!) and we followed them (we had a rental car) to the on arrival house, in Christie Downs. It was basic and cheap and located in not-so-great place, with a few undesirables hanging around - but it served as a great base for suburb/house/school hunting. We stayed for 5 weeks before finding our rental in Seaford Rise.

Sarah

Guest Libby1971

In short it is sh*t! Don't bother.

We did it and if I could anything again, it would have been to go into a proper rental upon arriving. We had spent 2 days travelling, felt tired and stressed and then had to deal with the shockingly poor standard of accommodation. It was not the positive start to our life on the other side of the world that I wanted for my children. I am delighted to say we left it behind within 4 weeks but only because it took 2 weeks to get our money. One week to find a rental, and then a week to get all the furniture in it so we could move out.

Cheap but you get what you pay for...

Thanks Libby but we have no kids and bummed around the world living in some snide places.

Are the areas dangerous where the accommodation is placed? I don't mind basic but I do mind the fear of being burgled!!!

Guest Libby1971

I did hear of one family who were almost burgled...they came home adn found all their newly bought stuff piled up near a window so they had come home in the nick of time.

A couple that I met when we first got here were sent to Elizabeth and for the first 4 nights, the hubbie was too frightened to go to sleep. They moved out within a week.

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi

We applied for Meet and Greet and OAA, but only got the Meet and Greet.

The Meet and Greet was really good, loads of tips and useful advice and masses of info, so I would recommend it.

We tried to get OAA but didn't get it. So we stayed at the Midway Apartments at Kurralta Park, just off the Anzac Highway. The apartment was furnished - TV, stereo, microwave oven, bedding, kitchenware, washing machine and ryer. It was pretty basic but it was only $355 a week, I think the price may have gone up slightly now. We stayed there 4 weeks, and for short term it was fine. Location wise the city was about 15 mins and Glenelg was 15 mins in the other direction by car or tram. There was a large supermarket and Kmart right by it. The only downside for us is there were no pubs within walking distance, which started to drive us mad after 4 weeks! But it was a good initial base from which to explore, find our feet.

Good luck with everything.

Vicks.