Whats the best area to live with the best schools?????

Guest markshelley

Guest thebaddeleys
Hi all,

What are the best areas for living in that has the best schools (girl 9 and twin boys 6)?

hi,

we've been told by friends that live in Adelaide that glenelg and brighton are the best , hence most expensive x x

:confused:Am logging in for 1st time, a virgin to this kind of thing, but in need of a great deal of advice and help!!! Am moving to adelaide beginning Nov, tink we are going to Mt Barker as husband has work there, but i like the look of Flagstaff hill and aberfoyle, does any1 know how far these are apart and how long it would take to travel between 2. Also we have 3 kids, 6 3 and 5mths what are the best schools and kindy!!!!

HELP, i have soooooo many questions i could be here for a while!!!:confused:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
:confused:Am logging in for 1st time, a virgin to this kind of thing, but in need of a great deal of advice and help!!! Am moving to adelaide beginning Nov, tink we are going to Mt Barker as husband has work there, but i like the look of Flagstaff hill and aberfoyle, does any1 know how far these are apart and how long it would take to travel between 2. Also we have 3 kids, 6 3 and 5mths what are the best schools and kindy!!!!

HELP, i have soooooo many questions i could be here for a while!!!:confused:

Flaggie and Ab Pk are next to each other, but they are both quite big subs, they are no where near Mt Barker, just a rough guess it would take around 45 mins to get there from either of those places.

sarah

Guest Libby1971
hi,

we've been told by friends that live in Adelaide that glenelg and brighton are the best , hence most expensive x x

Glenelg is essentially a tourist beach town and Brighton about the same. Neither one offer the best schools in Adelaide. They are expensive because they are by the sea, not because they offer any outstanding features.

Regarding primary schools, the general consensus is that state schools are just as good as private. The difference could be seen at high school but it depends upon where the school is. There are some schools that have poor reputations, some have good and some ou wouldn't touch with a 20 foot bargepole!

Best is relative...what you consider a focus I may not. I worked at a private school in the northern suburbs, a place that was supposed to be excellent with a good academic reputation. I went there for a contract but couldn't teach properly because the behaviour was totally shocking. I have never seen anything like it. I generally feel that behaviour is a benchmark because of the kids don't behave, then they won't learn anything.

The schools up our way are pretty good.(Belair, Blackwood, Eden Hills, Coromandel Valley )They work collaboratively and are all participants in the IB primary & middle years programmes. Then you've got the Private schools, Scotch & Mercedes at the bottom of the Old Belair Rd.

I would agree with Bodie about those areas in the hills, you also have St Peters Lutheran(a private primary) and St John's Grammar a private that goes from Montessori through to yr 12 in Belair, that is cheaper than some schools but has a good rep even among the other big privates. Most of the families in these areas have stability, and are behind the schools ideals of education for their kids.

It's a good option if you need or want to live closer to the city than those southern suburbs. The housing whether you buy or rent is still pretty affordable and it's cooler and fresher up there. You also have the national park up there, which is great when your older kids are out n about on bikes.

Guest Pesky Varmit

Welcome Irish Kelie !!

We are from Belfast too, as is Caoimhe but they are still to arrive. Ask all the questions you want as the friendly folk on here will always try to answer.

Good luck with all your plans

Guest Pesky Varmit

I forgot to mention my friends kids went to Nativity primary in Aberfoyle Park when they lived here and thought it was great, it's the only one I have any knowledge of - sadly for us, they had been and gone before we even got here.

Thanks for that Pesky, Bodie. I think i might wait until i get there and go and view 1 or 2 schools and let the kids decide. I am looking through all kinds of sights for houses to rent and cant decide where, every time i think yes i like the look of this area i find another and now it seems i love most of Adelaide!!! Would love to be beside the beach for the kids, but im not really a sit on the beach kind of person, so think a house with a pool would be ideal, 3 maybe 4 bedrooms with a bit of a garden for kids to play. Would rather not spend too much on rent, so am aware will have to live out of Adelaide but dont really know hich way to go!!! Up towards Semaphore, Grange west lakes etc or out towards Hallett Cove etc what do you think?????

i rreally liked the look of west lakes when we were up at henley beach. No way we could afford to buy there, rent maybe. Do you like it? Are you still going back to the uk?

Yes we are probably going back Jan 09

But it is a wonderful place to live all the facilities are close by and living on the beach is good quality living.

Our rental cost $380 per week. Its not hugh but plenty of space and we love it.

The school here is great.

Lauraxxx

Guest Pesky Varmit
Thanks for that Pesky, Bodie. I think i might wait until i get there and go and view 1 or 2 schools and let the kids decide. I am looking through all kinds of sights for houses to rent and cant decide where, every time i think yes i like the look of this area i find another and now it seems i love most of Adelaide!!! Would love to be beside the beach for the kids, but im not really a sit on the beach kind of person, so think a house with a pool would be ideal, 3 maybe 4 bedrooms with a bit of a garden for kids to play. Would rather not spend too much on rent, so am aware will have to live out of Adelaide but dont really know hich way to go!!! Up towards Semaphore, Grange west lakes etc or out towards Hallett Cove etc what do you think?????

Hi

It's probably best to wait until you get here - we liked the look of quite a few areas too but changed our minds on some when we arrived as some photos can be very deceptive!!!

Semaphore, Grange and West Lakes may be quite expensive - fantastic beaches at the first two. We paid $330 weekly when we rented in Hallett Cove almost 2 years ago for a nearly new 4 bed house and even though hubby was adament we wouldn't buy here, this is where we have settled! :biglaugh:

Guest Pesky Varmit
Pesky,

I know the Nativity well. I'm from Northern Ireland as well.

I'm in education in SA. Please feel free to PM me and I'll give you the warts and all.

Welcome.

Mark

Thanks for that - my kids are already happily settled at schools as we are here almost two years!