Greenwith / Hallett Cove

Guest vikkiann

Guest vikkiann

I'm looking for advice if someone can help me....

We are hoping to be in Australia in December as long as our house sale goes through smoothly.

When we first started looking we liked the look of Greenwith then i liked Hallett Cove but i'm hearing that HC isn't that nice. I know everyone has their own opinion.

Can anybody advise me please or give pro's and con's of both area's.

We have 4 children 1, 2, 6 & 10 so need good schools nearby.

Thank you in advance.

Vikki

Guest moonraker1959

My sister has lived in Greenwith for a long time.Its not my cup of tea as I dislike living in the suburbs (I lived in the country)but if you're a city slicker then Greenwith has alot to offer.My sister/family have been very happy there.her sons are grown up now but the 3 of them went to the local primary/high school no problems there at all.Greenwith is a good suburb,its relatively close to the city,close to a huge shopping complex (Tea Tree Plaza)excellent bus services to the city,an outside public swimming pool (At Tea Tree Gully 10 mins drive away)plus its also easy commuting to other area's like the Barossa ect.Its clean,relatively crime free (also unfortunately my nephew had his car stolen from the driveway!!!),and its a friendly area.Good luck but as other posters have suggested,pays to have a good look around as there are other just as nice area's.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I'm looking for advice if someone can help me....

We are hoping to be in Australia in December as long as our house sale goes through smoothly.

When we first started looking we liked the look of Greenwith then i liked Hallett Cove but i'm hearing that HC isn't that nice. I know everyone has their own opinion.

Can anybody advise me please or give pro's and con's of both area's.

We have 4 children 1, 2, 6 & 10 so need good schools nearby.

Thank you in advance.

Vikki

Who ever told you Hallett Cove isnt nice..................they were right:biglaugh:.

Claire is right make your own mind up when you get here its the only way to be sure. We all like different things about places, eg I live in Hallett Cove I really like it but someone has told you its not that nice so whos opinion do you choose to believe?

Good luck with your search

Sarah

I live in Hallett Cove and it has had some bad rap.

Yes the graffiti is bad, but then it is everywhere but the council are going to do something about it. We had a letter from the local MP, recognising that the graffiti was bad and has set aside a certain amount of money to get it sorted, also the letter said that they are going to make the criminals clean it off as part of community service.

Also all the talks of a certain gang that hangs around have died off (I heard they were brits)

Hallett cove isn't a bad place to live, in fact we wouldn't live anywhere else in Adelaide.

It is quite a large suburb, with older parts, not so old parts and really new parts, so you would really need to drive around the whole lot to see which part you would prefer.

Obviously it's not for everyone and that is why they choose to live where they do.

We drove around several suburbs when we first came and only Hallett Cove felt right.

You need to get a feel of what is right for you and you can't do that through other people's opinions.

Best of luck.

J

Sorry you asked for pros and cons.

Pros (for me)

A sea view almost everywhere you go in HC

2 train stations

Friendly peeps

Choice of 3 schools

15 mins each way from major shopping centres.

A new smaller shopping centre being built here.

A feel of not living close to suburb after suburb. (some suburbs just roll into each other, HC is by sort of by itself, except for sheidow and Trott park on the other side of the highway)

Not far away from a choice of beaches.

A lovely nature reserve with a walkway that runs parallel with the sea.

Beach is ok for walking dogs and you can have a coffee or a bite to eat at the cafe by the reserve.

Cons

Beach isn't very nice for sitting on.

Quite hilly

eg I live in Hallett Cove I really like it but someone has told you its not that nice so whos opinion do you choose to believe?

Good luck with your search

Sarah

Saw this and was about to answer something and due to me ordering my Simply Red tickets yipee!!!!!!!!!!! I was beaten to my answer about the Hallett Cove clique :biglaugh:

Only joking too!!!! Sarah is lovely and a brilliant hairdresser, hence how she knows so many people. Other than that she's in a world of her own :biglaugh::P

If you want to be near nice beaches, Greenwith is probably out of the equation as it's 30-45 minutes from the nearest beach at Semaphore.

They're both about the same distance from the CBD with half-decent options for public transport (Train from HC; O-Bahn from Greenwith).

We lived on the Golden Grove / Greenwith border for our first 6 months. It's a lovely area, with good schools and good amenities (malls, libraries, water park...) IMO. You get views over to the Port Adelaide area and the mount lofty ranges or both depending on where you are.

We made the switch to go down south purely from the perspective of being nearer the beaches. HC is very hilly in places which means you get excellent sea views to go with the sore legs ;) The shopping centre there is currently getting a major revamp too.

They're both nice places, but offer different pro's and con's. And as others have said, until you've had a look yourself you won't know which one is right for you.

BTW it'll be over an hour's drive between the two, so don't try and recce them both in the same day :biglaugh:

PS - Before we set foot here, we discounted both because they were too far from the CBD (where I'd be working). And we've ended up another 20minutes down the road from HC at Seaford.:goofy:

Sorry you asked for pros and cons.

Pros (for me)

A sea view almost everywhere you go in HC

2 train stations

Friendly peeps

Choice of 3 schools

15 mins each way from major shopping centres.

A new smaller shopping centre being built here.

A feel of not living close to suburb after suburb. (some suburbs just roll into each other, HC is by sort of by itself, except for sheidow and Trott park on the other side of the highway)

Not far away from a choice of beaches.

A lovely nature reserve with a walkway that runs parallel with the sea.

Beach is ok for walking dogs and you can have a coffee or a bite to eat at the cafe by the reserve.

Cons

Beach isn't very nice for sitting on.

Quite hilly

Hear hear, but disagree about the cons. Just clear away a few stones and the beach is fine for sitting on. Just not good for walking on! The hilliness is precisely why there's a magnificent sea view around every corner. As far as I am concerned, it is the best value for money for people who like sea views and proximity in the whole of Australia.

Hear hear, but disagree about the cons. Just clear away a few stones and the beach is fine for sitting on. Just not good for walking on! The hilliness is precisely why there's a magnificent sea view around every corner. As far as I am concerned, it is the best value for money for people who like sea views and proximity in the whole of Australia.

Well said Bill, I absolutely agree with you.

HC was the biggest surprise for me, in the UK we'd pretty much decided to avoid it simply because we thought it would be 'too british'. But after driving round and round all local suburbs ended up liking it the best...for many of the 'pros' suggested by J-inOz.

The only down side for me is that it isn't as old as I'd like - I love the freestone and bluestone houses of places like Goodwood etc.

:)