Rental Nightmare (those coming over be warned)

Guest Django

Guest Django

Word of warning for those coming out. Get yourself a short term rental for nothing less than 4 weeks.

I thought once we were here we could get on with our lives without any hassle. Not so. We have been trying to get a long term rental now since we arrived but had no joy. Our short term rental is up on Tuesday and we have no sign of a long term. We have registered with untold agents and been to opens filled out applications and lost out everytime.

Tracey was ready to chuck in the towel and book flights back to the UK this afternoon when we were told yet another property had gone to someone else. We have managed to get another short term rental for another week thanks to a jolly good fellow but after that it looks at the moment we will be on the streets.

One viewing we went to had 40 applicants. Others have had 20 odd. We have more to see this week but Tracey starts work on Tuesday which makes life difficult.

The other thing is the way things are done here. Don't expect to phone up an estate agent and book a viewing. They wait until they have a few people interested then arrange an open. The house is opened up for 10-15 minutes to be viewed and everyone piles in. On the internet it says the house is available now but when you phone up they have arranged an open for a few weeks time and they won't let you view it before then or consider any applicants until after the open.:arghh:

We can't buy because our house remains unsold in the UK and we can't rent, it seems, because we have no rental history.:arghh:

We are begining to feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall at the moment. Our luck may change over the next week but we aren't holding our breath. Might have to get a tent earlier than we expected to.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest KP Nuts

OMG, if your finding it difficult and are already there, what hope do we have that are still in the UK, coming out very soon......

Good luck and hope you find something very soon

Lord o lorky,

is it THAT bad?? Pete, i am so sorry; i know how you feel, and im not even there yet!!

Tried so hard to find/ secure a rental for the first few weeks. I haven't got my visa yet, and although Roo has been kind enough, i can't book until i know what's happening with that. Roo, if you're reading this, keep the place for the 21st, for a min of 4 weeks!! Nearer the time, i will pay $100 if i cant take you up!!

We're lucky, we have sold our house; but the dosh was meant to pay for rental/ keep the OH on the golf course for a bit, and all that malarky..........

Looks like Japan whaling fleet will defo be arriving in Adelaide..........when i am camping there:shocked:

Bloody h mate, good luck.....

so sorry to hear that pete, well will have to book that holiday rental today.

does anyone know if the estate agents are open over there on satdays, might wait up tonite and fone them up instead of e-mailing.

oh yes and for anyone shipping stuff over, we have had our stuff in storage since june and we foned them today to them them we had the visa and would be landing november the woman almost laughed and said our stuff will arrive between 12-16 weeks ARE YOU HAVING THAT!!!!

because of the petrol prices and all that jazz.

so am just warning you all its a LONG wait for your shipping stuff.

suexxx

Hey, Fisher's

Likewise; 457 application just gone in 1/10/08............

have to say, yummy babies; good photographer. Can he make me look like Elle McPhereson??? I will pay a fortune.........well about £50, it's all i have left:biglaugh:

Hopefully we will all find somewhere to reside soon.

J

Hi J

Thanks for the comment, would be happy to take some pics of u, sure we can get u looking better than Elle. :notworthy:

Where are you, New Brighton? Don't know where that is. :nah:

We will be in Adelaide somewhere in Feb '09, no idea where yet but would be good to meet some poms in Adelaide.

Back to the photos, will try and attatch some of my friend Zoe that I took last night, we made her look hot, we try and get the best from the people we shoot ("we" being myself and Heidi - the wife). We try and have fun and so far we have a 100% record of customer satisfaction - thats all shapes, sizes, ages etc ;) and affordable ofcourse.

ps We aren't swingers, my mate just wanted sexy shots so we obliged.

Hope these inspire you, regards Hamish

Gang,

Stick with it something will come up. There is a big shortage of rentals in all areas. Im sure i heard that some properties have about 20 people chasing it and some are paying over the odds to try to get it!

Hope something comes up soon guys. If all else fails i do have a tent you can borrow;)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Pete thats not good. Hang in there something will come up. Can the person who rented to you short term write you a glowing reference? Most people havent rented before and manage without references to get a rental. Wish I could help, if I had the room..................

To those still coming............you think the worst of it is over when you get your visa and manage to sell your house.............be warned it is not always the case.

God luck Pete and family, at least if you do end up in a tent the summer is coming!!!

sarah

Hi Pete. So sorry to hear your having trouble with the rentals. I'm always on realestate.com and thought that they had loads of places available, guess i was wrong. Really hope you find somewhere soon, everything crossed for you. Take care.x

aww pete sorry to hear that mate hope your sorted soon. I guess it depends what area your looking in. We got round the no renting before by offering 2 months rent upfront, took a copy of bank staement and a reference form uk estate agent who sold our house plus a copy of the sale brochure. Ive never heard it being this bad i guess youve just been really unlucky!!:wubclub:

Guest katsmajic

Where are you looking? Areas?

Ive helped finding and sorting viewings for a few friends in the south and so far alls gone well. The hardest ones Ive helped so far are Aussies with Aussie references!!! - cos theyre only 21/20

It is really disheartening, i know, weve been there too.

The agents here are nightmares and you DO have to stalk them, they dont have to work to fill houses.

Youve prob heard it all before but for any newbies coming over,

Dont just submitt the application - pursue them for a response, start with offering extra rent up front etc, be organised and have photocopies of all id to hand in with the application there and then, so they dont have to wait to process your application, hide lively kids when you go to viewings...lose them somewhere :biglaugh: as you can be sure over excited kids will go against you...im sure they think kids should be seen not heard etc...

A reference is really helpful - who ever you get your short term from should be ok to write you a reference, G & S did and it definately helped. Its just to say youve paid your rent and kept the house tidy/not wrecked it etc. Thats all agents/owners are worried about.

Pete - if all else fails we have a huge garden for Ians tent.

(seriously we have actually got 2 spare rooms at mo mate xxx)

Guest Tina P

hide lively kids when you go to viewings...lose them somewhere :biglaugh: as you can be sure over excited kids will go against you...im sure they think kids should be seen not heard etc...

Hi

Agree with this point, our 3yr old though it was great fun going to opens and ran aroud like a nutter, I know when we first arrived this went against us.

Im in my 2nd rental now and I got it because I rang the agent and asked to see it before the open, it was the following week.

I was probably luck as well.

Lots of luck to you

Tina

Hi Sue,

The estate agency is closed on weekends, this is usually when they do open visits and auctions.

You can leave them a message on line though.

Laura xxx

so sorry to hear that pete, well will have to book that holiday rental today.

does anyone know if the estate agents are open over there on satdays, might wait up tonite and fone them up instead of e-mailing.

oh yes and for anyone shipping stuff over, we have had our stuff in storage since june and we foned them today to them them we had the visa and would be landing november the woman almost laughed and said our stuff will arrive between 12-16 weeks ARE YOU HAVING THAT!!!!

because of the petrol prices and all that jazz.

so am just warning you all its a LONG wait for your shipping stuff.

suexxx

Hi Sue,

The estate agency is closed on weekends, this is usually when they do open visits and auctions.

You can leave them a message on line though.

Laura xxx

thanks hun for ur reply good to get some feedback.

how you getting on there xxxx

pm me if you wanna go on chat

hi not sure if you are fixed up now? if not I do have a few weeks free this month and then again next year after january if that helps?

Word of warning for those coming out. Get yourself a short term rental for nothing less than 4 weeks.

I thought once we were here we could get on with our lives without any hassle. Not so. We have been trying to get a long term rental now since we arrived but had no joy. Our short term rental is up on Tuesday and we have no sign of a long term. We have registered with untold agents and been to opens filled out applications and lost out everytime.

Tracey was ready to chuck in the towel and book flights back to the UK this afternoon when we were told yet another property had gone to someone else. We have managed to get another short term rental for another week thanks to a jolly good fellow but after that it looks at the moment we will be on the streets.

One viewing we went to had 40 applicants. Others have had 20 odd. We have more to see this week but Tracey starts work on Tuesday which makes life difficult.

The other thing is the way things are done here. Don't expect to phone up an estate agent and book a viewing. They wait until they have a few people interested then arrange an open. The house is opened up for 10-15 minutes to be viewed and everyone piles in. On the internet it says the house is available now but when you phone up they have arranged an open for a few weeks time and they won't let you view it before then or consider any applicants until after the open.:arghh:

We can't buy because our house remains unsold in the UK and we can't rent, it seems, because we have no rental history.:arghh:

We are begining to feel like we are banging our heads against a brick wall at the moment. Our luck may change over the next week but we aren't holding our breath. Might have to get a tent earlier than we expected to.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

We offered more rent than was asked for on the form i.e scored out the weekly rental and added $20/week. We were told by several people this would help and it did. We got the place even with 2 kids tearing around.

Guest Django

Thanks everyone for your wishes, advice and offers of help both on this thread and my pm box. I am actually blown away by you all. :notworthy:

We had a fabby reference from Judi the owner of our short term rental. We offered $30 more per week than the asking price and still someone beat us to a much loved rental.:arghh: We went to look at a couple more today. The second one was lovely. Although we were not really looking for one with a pool we thought we would give it a look. Tracey stayed in the car while I had a look around. My first thought was 'we'll never get this' as we had been turned down for lesser gaffs. I told the agent we were just over from the UK and really needed somewhere and asked a few questions about the property. Then we swapped over. I kept the kids quite while Tracey had a look around and she also spoke to the agent but really gave her the hard luck sob story. Tracey said she nearly made herself cry.:biglaugh: Anyway to cut a long story short the agent phoned us back within 15 minutes and offered us the place.:jiggy:So its going to be a hot aussie summer for us instead of a cold wet english winter. You cannot imagine the relief. It really is like a huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders.

Again thankyou to everyone that has contacted me over the past couple of weeks with offers of help with the children, advice on what to do at the opens, etc. What a difference a day makes (cue for a song methinks).

Once we move in we will have a bit of a house warming and invite you all round.

It just goes to show you that 2 weeks really isn't enough time to secure and move into a rental. Although we have secured one we won't be filling out the lease until Thursday morning. We have already started our 3rd week here and I believe we were very lucky today. If I did this again (which I won't as I love it here) I would book up a short term rental for 4-5 weeks.

Pete

glad to hear things have worked out for you, it does seem unfurnished rentals are hard to find at the moment, good luck with the move!

Thanks everyone for your wishes, advice and offers of help both on this thread and my pm box. I am actually blown away by you all. :notworthy:

We had a fabby reference from Judi the owner of our short term rental. We offered $30 more per week than the asking price and still someone beat us to a much loved rental.:arghh: We went to look at a couple more today. The second one was lovely. Although we were not really looking for one with a pool we thought we would give it a look. Tracey stayed in the car while I had a look around. My first thought was 'we'll never get this' as we had been turned down for lesser gaffs. I told the agent we were just over from the UK and really needed somewhere and asked a few questions about the property. Then we swapped over. I kept the kids quite while Tracey had a look around and she also spoke to the agent but really gave her the hard luck sob story. Tracey said she nearly made herself cry.:biglaugh: Anyway to cut a long story short the agent phoned us back within 15 minutes and offered us the place.:jiggy:So its going to be a hot aussie summer for us instead of a cold wet english winter. You cannot imagine the relief. It really is like a huge weight has been lifted from our shoulders.

Again thankyou to everyone that has contacted me over the past couple of weeks with offers of help with the children, advice on what to do at the opens, etc. What a difference a day makes (cue for a song methinks).

Once we move in we will have a bit of a house warming and invite you all round.

It just goes to show you that 2 weeks really isn't enough time to secure and move into a rental. Although we have secured one we won't be filling out the lease until Thursday morning. We have already started our 3rd week here and I believe we were very lucky today. If I did this again (which I won't as I love it here) I would book up a short term rental for 4-5 weeks.

Pete

Guest the staffords
Hi J

Thanks for the comment, would be happy to take some pics of u, sure we can get u looking better than Elle. :notworthy:

Where are you, New Brighton? Don't know where that is. :nah:

We will be in Adelaide somewhere in Feb '09, no idea where yet but would be good to meet some poms in Adelaide.

Back to the photos, will try and attatch some of my friend Zoe that I took last night, we made her look hot, we try and get the best from the people we shoot ("we" being myself and Heidi - the wife). We try and have fun and so far we have a 100% record of customer satisfaction - thats all shapes, sizes, ages etc ;) and affordable ofcourse.

ps We aren't swingers, my mate just wanted sexy shots so we obliged.

Hope these inspire you, regards Hamish

hamish..great photos mate...when you get here,could you please shoot my wife!!!

ha ha ha ....but if you get caught,i will deny everything:biglaugh: