Half price rentals ?

Guest deb and stoo

Guest deb and stoo

Hi all

Looking as though Aug/Sept will be when we're comming out and was wondering if anyone has had experience of the goverments half price rental scheme ?

Any info be most appreciated guaranteeing an invite to the first barbie ;)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Guest75
Hi all

Looking as though Aug/Sept will be when we're comming out and was wondering if anyone has had experience of the goverments half price rental scheme ?

Any info be most appreciated guaranteeing an invite to the first barbie ;)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Hiya.

Do you mean the OOA (On Arrival Accommodation) scheme??

Guest Guest75
Ah Tyke (see I'm following you...) you just said that to get an invite to their first barbie!;)

Seriously though, do you?

LC

I being stalked!!!!!:P:p

I'm popular so I don't need to go begging invites;)

Welcome to Poms In Adelaide LC

Guest deb and stoo

Hi all

Yes that'll be the one :o any info regarding this would be much appreciated as I feel this is our next step as we're not doing a recce.

:)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Guest75
Hi all

Yes that'll be the one :o any info regarding this would be much appreciated as I feel this is our next step as we're not doing a recce.

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Oaa's are OK for short stays.They are clean and basic and dotted all over the city

They inform you withing 4 weeks of flying if you have one.Plus it is a lottery as to which one you will get.Some are in fairly dubious areas though.

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Tyke

Thanks for the info,sounds like one idea though not too kean on the 'dubious areas' bit :(. Maybe private rental in the areas we're looking at might be the way to go ? Wondering if anyones experienced OAA's in the past and would they reccomend them and any stories of the good and dubious areas.

Barbie invite on the way,lol.

Stoo Deb & Boyz

We were lucky enough to be allocated a three-bedroomed house in Oaklands Park. It cost us something like $140 pw, which included all bills. It wasn't as beautiful as I had hoped, but it was a great base until we bought our house - bearing in mind that maximum tenancy is around 13 weeks, and buying a house generally takes around a month.

Our friends had an OAA in a small block. It was close to the city, but not what they'd have chosen- no garden, bit noisy. That said, the low cost made up for that and they were happy enough. I also knew someone who stayed in Christies Beach - which some people feel is a bit rough, but again, she liked it well enough.

I think what I am trying to say is that I would definately recommend trying for OAA. As Tyke says, it's clean and basic, and CHEAP!! Can't think of anything to add, but you know where I am if you need me!:)

LC

Guest deb and stoo

Hi LC

Thanks for that info it gives us something to think on in the few months we have left.Our only concern is the kids and their first impressions as they both not still fully hooked on the idea (teenagers and all that) and would really like them to live in a 'WOW' house when we first get there before buying.

We've been looking in a line between Hallett Cove and Aberfoyle Park as this would leave a half hour journey to the airport (hopefully get a job there) has anyone any recomendations around that way or any other nice areas etc ?

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Hi LC

Our only concern is the kids and their first impressions as they both not still fully hooked on the idea (teenagers and all that) and would really like them to live in a 'WOW' house when we first get there before buying.

We've been looking in a line between Hallett Cove and Aberfoyle Park as this would leave a half hour journey to the airport :)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Your kids are the same age as mine (although when we came over they were a couple of years younger:confused:) so I understand what you mean! That said, there's nothing to stop you applying, finding out where you'd be allocated and then deciding, although that would potentially be very close to your departure date.

We have lived in Aberfoyle Park since December 2005 and we like it very much. The kids can walk to school.The library, shops, leisure centre, BMX track, skate park etc are also within easy walking distance. Hallet Cove looks very pretty too, but has a different feel about it. Probably a shimmy nearer the airport though - depending on which bit of Hallet Cove. I have to say that it always seems to take me a little longer than 30 minutes to get to West Lakes skatepark and that's just before the airport. I'm told that traffic is slower in that direction in the morning too - the other side of the road is pretty clear apparently!

I personally would not be too hasty to pick an area without seeing it first. We found that things are not always as they seem on the net, IMHO. There are a lot of nice areas stretching out the other side of the airport too.

:cool:Lazy Cow

Guest donna T
Hi LC

and would really like them to live in a 'WOW' house when we first get there before buying.

OAA definitely does not have the WOW factor more like the OH MY GOD factor!

We were very depressed with the OAA we had in Novar Gardens initially but after a week or two really appreciated the fact that it gave us a solid base to explore from and the people were friendly that live around and abouts. My son made plently of friends and it was only for a few weeks. It cost us $128 per week all in which is a real bargain. It just meant that we didnlt have to penny (cent??) pinch at the beginning and could concentrate on finding where we wnated to live. Good luck

Guest deb and stoo

Hi LC and Donna T

Thanks for the advice and sharing you and your friends experiences it gives us something to think on and obviously the most important thing is initial cost when we get there,things such as car hire etc which are going to make a dent in the budget.

We also realise that we actually need to have a real good look around the areas we're thinking about and of course will consider areas nearer the airport though I'm not too bothered by the traveling having worked at Heathrow for the past ten years,a 55 mile journey that can sometimes take 3 hours so over half hour sounds like paradise :).

I think we will apply anyway and can always use it as a back up if a full price rental doesnt work out.Do you know if you can specify and area/areas where you'd like to stay or is it really pot luck? Also what are car rental prices like there and is it worth looking for a cheap car early for house hunting/shopping etc.

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Libby1971

Hello

We left OAA a couple of weeks ago. We specified on the form we were sent that we would like to be in Onkaparinga area but were allocated a place in Everard Park.

Due to a problem with our money not arriving, we hired a car for 5 days - a Hyundai Getz for, I think, $39 per day which was fine for getting to shops and driving round suburbs etc to get a better idea.

Once our money got here, it was straightforward to get a second hand car. We went to one place, chose the car, gave a $500 deposit and he gave us the keys and told us to bring the balance the next day! We couldn't believe it.

We are renting in Sheidow Park which is quiet, established and a nice area for the kids.

Hope this helps.

Libby