A debate... Tiles or Tin roof???

Guest Alipally

Tiles or a tin roof?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Tiles or a tin roof?

Guest Alipally

OK,

A certain someone has agreed to abide by the majority rule, (you know who you are!!:P)

Place your vote and please, for the sake of balance argument state your reasons behind it....

Should the roof of the House be tiles or should it be tin????

Guest Tracijbc

Definitely tiles, without a shadow of a doubt. We have lived under both, and the colourbond roof was soooooo damn noisy when it rained. I couldn't imagine when it hails!!! :err:

T x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

We have a colorbond roof and have no complaints, the noise is not bad at all when it rains especially with correct insulation, and then again when does it rain?

They are a lot more secure than tiled roofs, a burglar could be into a tiled roof within minutes by pushing a few tiles up and dropping down through the ceiling, although specs are now changing and they are starting to nail every other row of tiles.

They have far less maintenance issues than tiles and will give you a much cleaner loft area after time.

Cost and apperance all have to be taken into account, good luck with your choice,

Guzzler

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Tiles . In the summer you can hear all the tin roofs creaking with the heat and movement of the timbers.:arghh:

On a tiled roof what will that movement be doing to mortar joints?

Guzzler

Guest guest569
On a tiled roof what will that movement be doing to mortar joints?

Guzzler

Only the ridge tiles are pointed. You can see the stars through the valleys ( not Tom Jones or Catherine zita Jones )

Maybe a tiled loft doesn't hold the heat as much ????

Guest Rob and Clare

Although tin roofs are much more secure particularley on a single story home, the rain noise is intolerable, well it was for us next to a tin roof while we were renting...

We have gone for tiles because that was the cheaper option (I am married to a Yorkshire man). I do however think that colourbond roofs looks fantastic. I'm with you Rachel, I love the noise that rain makes on colourbond roofs, especially when Im lying in bed after a night shift. We would have gone for colourbond, but it all boils down to pennies in the end!

Most houses over here in NZ have metal roofs - even the ones that have tiles (the tiles are metal!). It is noisy but you get used to it and we get a lot more rain over here than you guys. I actually find it quite soothing now. The hail stones are loud though. On the coast I would probably opt for tiles but depends on the style of the house - for old homes (and some new ones) I think the colorbond can look really smart - theres not so much weight on the roof either so less chance of subsidence.

Mmm its a difficult one!

Cliff & Mariane

Guest graandjac
OK,

A certain someone has agreed to abide by the majority rule, (you know who you are!!

Place your vote and please, for the sake of balance argument state your reasons behind it....

Should the roof of the House be tiles or should it be tin????

Abide by the majority rule:goofy::P:huh:;)....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest graandjac

;)right need to come clean here, after a chat to Alli we had(past tense) made our selections re tin or tiled roof.............so Alli said right lets put it to the vote...........now look where its left us :shocked:. After driving around every new development from Flagstaff Pines to Sellicks Beach .......it seems its still 50/50..........

;)right need to come clean here, after a chat to Alli we had(past tense) made our selections re tin or tiled roof.............so Alli said right lets put it to the vote...........now look where its left us :shocked:. After driving around every new development from Flagstaff Pines to Sellicks Beach .......it seems its still 50/50..........
Thats because tin is cheaper than tiles:). However tiles do hold the heat in in, and as said before whirlybirds sort that out.Each to their own:)

Guest guest569
Thats because tin is cheaper than tiles:). However tiles do hold the heat in in, and as said before whirlybirds sort that out.Each to their own:)

I think its the other way round smit. A colourbond tin roof is an upgrade and the tiles are standard.

Your right though it is all about personal choice, there are pros and cons to both.

Guest guest569

I wouldn't like to say wether its better or worse graham. I think the pros and cons are equal so it all goes down to the style or look of your new home that you are making.