Documents needed for renting

Guest robharding

Guest robharding

Hi all,

my wife and I arrive in Adelaide on 6th January. We don't know what documents are required by letting agents when accepting tennants. We want to know what we should bring over to assist in us securing a rental property for 12 months.

Thanks in advance

Rob:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi, are you in a short term rental when you arrive? if so ask them write a reference. Thats what we did plus we had to put down 6 months rent to secure the property. Renting in Adelaide is really mad at the moment you have to be really on the ball to get something good, especially at this time of year.

try and contact some agents before you arrive and be really friendly, they will help as much as they can.

usually rentals have an open day for possible tennants which can get very busy and it is down to the landlord and agency who gets the propery (hence friendly approach).

good luck if you want anymore info just ask

Guest robharding

Thanks Sion for replying so quickly. We own our house here in England and are renting it out, maybe my rental agreement in UK would help.

Cheers for the advice,

Rob

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Rob,

We have been here now for about 7 weeks. We were lucky to have had OAA which we were happy with when we first arrived as it gave us time to look around.

Prior to coming out we got together a list of documents which we scanned and stored onto a memory stick. We emailed the documents to our selves and we also brought a couple of copies of each with us to give to agents.

We viewed many properties and to be honest we viewed some bad ones although we only actually applied for two. One while still in England which we didn't get and the one we did secure for 12 months that we are in now. YES as previously said the happy very polite attitude will help without a doubt.

We also have a dog and it will narrow your choice down if you also have pets.

Anyway they base your application on a points based score so many for each thing you produce, so come prepared even if its an English document it will still be accepted.

We produced the following:

British Telecom Account

E-On Electric & Gas Account

Car Reg Certificate (English and once we had bought one an Aussie one)

Details on our house in England including the web link for it sale/rent details

Birth Certificates

Passports

Driving License (English and Aussie once you have one)

Photo of our Dog

Current Bank Statement (We had accounts in OZ and we got the branch to write a reference for us also)

Ref from your letting agent briefly describing your property and how nice it is and that you have a guaranteed income from your tenants

References from your neighbors

Its a long reply but I hope it helps. Good luck with the move.

Martin:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest David Brown

Thats a really helpful list, which I will start gathering the stuff together, but as someone who is facing prospect of having to find somewhere for a family and a medium-large dog, do you have any tips for that (apart from a photo of the dog!). I noticed some places say pets negotiable so I wondered, apart from size of dog, what sort of things landlords were looking for when it comes to negotiable dogs? Thanks

Guest Martin and Val
I noticed some places say pets negotiable so I wondered, apart from size of dog, what sort of things landlords were looking for when it comes to negotiable dogs? Thanks

Hi David,

We found that supply was limited as we had two dogs at the time of moving over. Unfortunately one died in quarantine (thats another story) so we must say that we do feel we would have really struggled if we did still have two.

We provided a photo and some of our references that we brought with us from the UK had comments about our dogs written in them. Ask your neighbors for references and ask them to say a few good words about your well behaved pet.

Bring as much documentation as you can and as many references as you can get.

Good luck

Martin

Guest graandjac

I think the trick is to really convince an agent that your the family that they can trust, i do believe that if you can do this the house is yours . Although the decesion is the owners they do take into account the agents feedback. All the above is good advice, its a good idea to get to know a few agents via e-mail before you arrive .........good old blag:emoticon-signxmas:

Hi,

the above advice is great.

If you know anyone here, use them as a reference; or make sure you have a really decent one from the UK they can photocopy. Espesh a j.p/ clergyman/ golf club captain etc. Worked for us!!

Get them to say how responsible and community minded you are; and if you have family/ pets.................that you are a good parent/ pet owner, firm but fair blah de blah.

If you have any queries with the forms, ask the agent to help; it gives them a purpose in life, boosts their ego and really makes them take to you as a real person.

Best thing though, is be quick. Dont wait for them, they wont chase you...................keep at them.

2weeks befor you leave, check the listings, and phone the agents...........arrange viewings as soon as you can.

Happy house hunting

Jane

Guest graandjac
Hi,

the above advice is great.

If you know anyone here, use them as a reference; or make sure you have a really decent one from the UK they can photocopy. Espesh a j.p/ clergyman/ golf club captain etc. Worked for us!!

Get them to say how responsible and community minded you are; and if you have family/ pets.................that you are a good parent/ pet owner, firm but fair blah de blah.

If you have any queries with the forms, ask the agent to help; it gives them a purpose in life, boosts their ego and really makes them take to you as a real person.

Best thing though, is be quick. Dont wait for them, they wont chase you...................keep at them.

2weeks befor you leave, check the listings, and phone the agents...........arrange viewings as soon as you can.

Happy house hunting

Jane

As the above......but make sure you know them a little as when Django put me down as a reference, i got a call:unsurexmas: from the agent and as much as i can blag a little it was a very awkward call:laughxmas:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Everyone has there own advice, all can say is what we did.

Arrived sunday 16th November, went looking at area's that afternoon and picked up a copy of the advertiser and scanned it for open viewing and picked out 5 to view on the monday.

Monday 17, looked a 5 houses around christies beach area, but the last one we didnt know about until the estate agent told us about it and thats where were to now.

We moved in 28th november and love it.

Tuesday 18 Filled in the application form and handed it in with paperwork.

Passports, driving licences, bills, job offers and a print out from a cash machine of whats in the bank. By 1pm we got a phone call saying the house was ours on a 12month lease, allowing both dogs indoors and dropped the rent by $20 per week to £330.

You wanna try residential lettings at hallet cove, cant recomend them highly enough.

There list of propertys are of a lot higher quality that the other agents we looked at.

Best of luck.

Matt

Hi, it would be a while yet (at least 3-4 years) until I move, if I decide to. I was just wondering what the prospects of getting a rented place would be like for a 23 yr old?? Although I don't live at home anymore, I don't pay any of the bills and therefore my name isn't on any of them (long story!). I do have a passport and a drivers lisence. And an english bank account. It might be that by the time I get over there I have other things but if I don't would I be able to rent somewhere with what I've got? I would probably be moving on my own so I couldn't rely on anyone else to have other documents.

Hi Bee,

they use a 100 point system here;

passport, birth cert, drivers licence and bank account would cover it! We didnt have any bills to show the estate agent. However, a short term rental agreement when you get here initially is good enough. Get a decent reference from the uk too; and if you have a job here, make sure you take your contract/ job offer with you, after all they want to know you can pay the bills..............................

good luck

Jane