Arranging a rental from the UK

Denise

Hi

Did any of you secure a long term ( 6 - 1 months) rental from the Uk before you arrived in Adelaide?

I have been in touch with 9 or 10 estate agents, most of which said this isnt possible as they prefer us to view the property.

I have one estate agent who guarentees me we can do this but I dont like relying on one person incase this falls through.

Any advice or contacts from any of you who have done this would be great.

Thanks

Denise

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Denise.

Like you we tried to arange a rental from the UK but after many phone calls and emails to agents this end i was advised to rent when we got here so we booked into a hotel for a few weeks whilst we looked.

Luckly we got our rental the 2nd day here. So i would say do what we did, it worked well for us.

Matt

Christies Beach

Guest hughes

Hi,

we're also going to apply for the SA on arrival accommodation, as you will be there before us, can you please let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks and good luck with everything.

Karenxx

aren't you going to apply to SA for on arrival accomodation? You are eligible for this on a 475. That's what we are doing. It's not 100% guaranteed but I guess we'll book a caravan etc if we don't get one! lol

We have been really put off the OAA, read many posts about the awful places you can end up in!! I guess if it was just the two of us we wouldnt really care but having 2 babies its too risky for us so want to secure a house if possible. I just can't take the risk of not getting any where also, don't you only find out if you have OAA about 2 weeks before you fly, couldnt handle the stress if we didnt get anywhere to stay.

Thanks anyway for advice, Ill keep trying the agents.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya Denise.

Heres the name number of the rental compant that we are with: Residential Lettings 08 8321 9066.

http://www.residentialletting.com.au/index.php

There based at Hallet cove and have sorted out a lot of brits.

The quality of there properys are a lot higher than most of the other companys and i recommed them.

Matt

Christies Beach

Really? What/ where have you heard? I haven't seen anything about it anywhere. Like you we have young kids - ages 5, 2 and 10mths. You've scared me now!! :confused:

Oh Jo I'm so sorry, I didnt mean to do that but I really have heard horror stories. Maybe people only report back on bad places and there really are some good ones out there. I dont know how to put links to old threads on but there was one just recently about how bad OAA is. Have a search in the renting and real estate section or ask the question again.

I could be wrong.

Guest LOOBYLOO

We secured our rental from the UK. Arrived on 30th Nov and didn't want the hassle of trying to find a rental so close to Christmas. The site I found was www.noagentproperty.com.au I found a suitable property and emailed the landlord then posted on here for info re schools/location etc. Decided to rent the property, phoned the landlord (she emailed me Agreement etc) faxed them back and did a bank transfer to secure the rental. She has another rental available now in Aldinga Beach. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck.

We secured our rental from the UK. Arrived on 30th Nov and didn't want the hassle of trying to find a rental so close to Christmas. The site I found was www.noagentproperty.com.au I found a suitable property and emailed the landlord then posted on here for info re schools/location etc. Decided to rent the property, phoned the landlord (she emailed me Agreement etc) faxed them back and did a bank transfer to secure the rental. She has another rental available now in Aldinga Beach. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck.

Thanks Linda, Ill be looking on their website now and will definatley contact them. The one in Aldinga if available now is too soon for us, we dont arrive until June but thanks anyway.

Denise

Guest Guest75

I was going to post some advice on this subject ------ BUT.

Due to a recent comment I'll keep it to myself.It might be taken as self promoting.

Just shows how damaging for others an ill considered comment can be.:nah:

Not picking an argument - just highlighting a matter.:)

Guest Nick11

There are some good oaas - but some oaa is in less than pleasant surroundings. Have heard of a few that get regulary broken into because the locals know them.

It is luck of the draw.

However they are cheap and you don't have to stay there for long. My friend only stayed in one for 2 nights before she secured a rental.

Guest Nick11
Couldnt agree more, Jacqui has some beef with someone or is bitter about something?

Yes I was thinking that to.

However the poster seems to be ignoring the uproar that they have caused.

Maybe just as well :realmad:

Guest woolmerdj

Hi

We used OAA when we first got here and whilst it isn't brilliant it is a great base to explore the area's where you want to settle.It cost us $180 per week and was near to local facilities and transport into the City.I am not sure anout renting before you get here, but as we didn't have a clue about Adelaide, locations and the best area's to live in relation to good schools(which are based on where you live, unless you go private) and where your jobs will be.We have a friend who secured a renatl before they got here but still used OAA as a base, but they had also done a reccie last year.If you cant rent before you come here, you need to bring ID with you, things like, morgage statements, reference from your bank/landlord could laso help you secure a rental, as being new, the landlords like to know you are going to pay and look after their property.I found using OAA allowed us the freedom to explore all possibilities and to get an address which is from a government body, which here means a lot.Plus also using the meet and greet service helped us find things like banks, medicare, tax office, driving licence change, all of which enabled us to quickly change our address and get a reference for our landlord.I have other friends whom have used hotels, caravan sites and Youth Hostels, but sadly they aren't cheap.

Good luck

Jane

Having looked around numerous rentals in and around Adelaide although there were good ones the quality of some left a lot to be desired. From a practical point of view I think it would be far better on initial arrival to stay in short term accommodation, at least until you have had a look around some of the suburbs, rather than committing yourself to a 6 month let and then having to try and get out of it because you don’t like the area, school, location etc. There are some good caravan parks dotted around Adelaide as well as holiday accommodation, although more expensive for a short period they would give you time to get over the jet lag and as a base for looking around for something more permanent and suitable. Looking at it from another point of view knowing what you know about the UK would you rent somewhere in a city in the UK if you had never been there?

Guest Guest75
Having looked around numerous rentals in and around Adelaide although there were good ones the quality of some left a lot to be desired. From a practical point of view I think it would be far better on initial arrival to stay in short term accommodation, at least until you have had a look around some of the suburbs, rather than committing yourself to a 6 month let and then having to try and get out of it because you don’t like the area, school, location etc. There are some good caravan parks dotted around Adelaide as well as holiday accommodation, although more expensive for a short period they would give you time to get over the jet lag and as a base for looking around for something more permanent and suitable. Looking at it from another point of view knowing what you know about the UK would you rent somewhere in a city in the UK if you had never been there?

Not every time I agree with you Ranger but this is on the lines of what I was going to say.

Gold star - go to the top of the class:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest jan&andy

Hi Denise

We arrived in September and did manage to secure a 12 month rental before we left the UK. It was a bit of a gamble, but we checked out the area using Google Maps and just hoped the house resembled the agents pictures, which it did thankfully. We did offer to pay 3 months rent up front, but I also had a job lined up here which I think helped as I know they telephoned them to check my references were okay. Our rental is through Toop and Toop, so it might be worth giving them a try if you are still keen to get something sorted before you arrive. We are renting in Grange (a nice beach side suburb) but have now bought a house so will be breaking our lease in March which looks like it will be too early for you, but if anyone else is interested then send me a pm.

Best of luck with your plans.

Jan

i agree with others, no way id rent a house without looking at it, some here are truly awful even if they look good on the pictures. Your far better to find a short term let 3 weeks eg and that will give you enough time to have a look at areas (in theory). People are breaking leases all the time so dont worry its very rare that people dont find a house unless its in a very popular area where there is a shortage.

OH DEAR, now I am really confused as to what to do, I really should take all your advice and get a short term, I'm just panicking like mad for some reason.

Thanks so much for all the replies, its certainly got me thinking what to do now.

You'll no doubt see a thread in 6months time about me hating my long term rental which I organised against everyones advice!!!!

Guest hughes

I think i'm going to re-think the OAA now,the last thing I want is to get all the way there and the accommodation is awful!!!

Thanks for the info everyone, this website really is a godsend!!!!

Karenxx