New Arrival. Lots of questions!!!

Guest lizdaz

Guest lizdaz

Hi Everyone.

Have not been on here for a while as have been busy moving from UK. Arrived on the 10th December staying in 3 month rental in West Beach and at first had no internet connection and really missed it.

We spent Xmas and New Year in Melbourne with friends and came back on the 1st Jan as husband started work on the 5th Dec.

I have lots of questions and hope not to bore anyone too much but rental is probably the priority question. While husband is at work I have the job of finding the next rental while keeping a 10 and 6 year old girls entertained!!

Rentals - We are looking at the Flagstaff Hill, Blackwood and, Aberfoyle Park areas.

Would we be correct in thinking the best thing is to rent for a while first before we buy? What are these areas like we want somewhere with a bit of space so the houses don't feel they are on top of each other?

We also have the girls in schools in the Brighton / Hove area so will need to commute in.

My husband works in Port Adelaide but is prepared to commute having come from London hoping it won't be so bad.

Obviously the only worry is that the rental money feels that it is eating into our savings.

Kids. - Have been limited in choosing schools as when arrived many schools had just shut so have decided on Marymount College for one and Stella Maris for the other. Does anyone know anything about these schools?

Have been active since arriving as the youngest daughter broke her arm 10 days after arriving so now has a plaster cast for three weeks and can't go in the sea!!!! Not good when living next to the beach and your older sister can go in!!

Social - Having worked for 26 years back in the UK currently enjoying the time with the girls but will have to find a job myself once the girls are settled.

Are there get togethers with people from this site who have kids as well as I may need some adult conversation at some point!!!!

I'm sure there will be more questions but that's probably enough for now.

Liz.

Guest Django

Hi Liz,

Yes there are meets happening all the time and children are able to meet others their own age.

As for rentals and buying have a look at www.adelaidebound.com it will give you some good links for that plus many other things.

Can't help with the schools mentioned but no doubt others will be able to help out in that department.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Your timing is good, there is a get together tomorrow night from 7.30 if going for dinner at Victoria Hotel on South Road. Drinks from 8.30.

Also Marymount is a good school, has a good reputation within school circles. I know a couple of staff there but no bias!!!

Hope we can be of more help to you later

Guest lizdaz

Dear Libby .

Thanks for the tip off about tomorrow would it be possible to bring the children or not? Would they be allowed in the bar?

We would probably only come for drinks so I assume you are eating at 7.30pm and drinks at 8.30 maybe a bit late for the kids but it's not a school night..

Liz

Guest Libby1971

Hello

Kids aren't going to be allowed in the bar area I wouldn't have thought, and no-one else will really be bringing their kids...opportunity for the ladies to be child free!! It is a ladies night out, not a family thing, we tend to have the family days during the day and at the beach.

But it will be a chance for you to make some friends, hopefully, and go from there. I think you'll have a good time...

Guest Guest75
Hello

Kids aren't going to be allowed in the bar area I wouldn't have thought, and no-one else will really be bringing their kids...opportunity for the ladies to be child free!! It is a ladies night out, not a family thing, we tend to have the family days during the day and at the beach.

But it will be a chance for you to make some friends, hopefully, and go from there. I think you'll have a good time...

It's an opportunity for you ladies to get one of those rare (sic) hangovers and have hubbies laugh at them in the morning:p:p

Guest lizdaz

Hi Libby,

Sounds great I assume having looked it up it is the Hotel in O'Halloran Hill.

Is it 7.30pm for dinner hubby has offered to drop me off and pick me up.

Liz.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adelaide_aussi

Hi Liz,

Welcome to Australia and Adelaide and I hope you are enjoying the lovely summer weather and the beach. Hopefully I can help with your questions about renting. The areas you are looking at (Flagstaff Hill, Blackwood & Aberfoyle Park) are great suburbs as close to the city and beach and the houses are generally on larger blocks with plenty of space to move and have the feel of country living with the convenience of being close to the city. Also close to Marion Shopping Centre which is one of the largest shopping complexes and cinemas in Adelaide. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Please have a look at my Blog site, the link is below.

Jane :rolleyes:

http://adelaidehouseforrentforpoms.blogspot.com

Hi Everyone.

Have not been on here for a while as have been busy moving from UK. Arrived on the 10th December staying in 3 month rental in West Beach and at first had no internet connection and really missed it.

We spent Xmas and New Year in Melbourne with friends and came back on the 1st Jan as husband started work on the 5th Dec.

I have lots of questions and hope not to bore anyone too much but rental is probably the priority question. While husband is at work I have the job of finding the next rental while keeping a 10 and 6 year old girls entertained!!

Rentals - We are looking at the Flagstaff Hill, Blackwood and, Aberfoyle Park areas.

Would we be correct in thinking the best thing is to rent for a while first before we buy? What are these areas like we want somewhere with a bit of space so the houses don't feel they are on top of each other?

We also have the girls in schools in the Brighton / Hove area so will need to commute in.

My husband works in Port Adelaide but is prepared to commute having come from London hoping it won't be so bad.

Obviously the only worry is that the rental money feels that it is eating into our savings.

Kids. - Have been limited in choosing schools as when arrived many schools had just shut so have decided on Marymount College for one and Stella Maris for the other. Does anyone know anything about these schools?

Have been active since arriving as the youngest daughter broke her arm 10 days after arriving so now has a plaster cast for three weeks and can't go in the sea!!!! Not good when living next to the beach and your older sister can go in!!

Social - Having worked for 26 years back in the UK currently enjoying the time with the girls but will have to find a job myself once the girls are settled.

Are there get togethers with people from this site who have kids as well as I may need some adult conversation at some point!!!!

I'm sure there will be more questions but that's probably enough for now.

Liz.