Left a house back in UK?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Know it seems like a daft question but.................................has anyone left their property unoccupied in the UK and if so, are you still having to pay council tax, electricity, gas and water bills (even if it's just to keep the supply connected)? We are entertaining just continuing to pay the mortgage and insurance and leaving our house empty:idea:. We could just about afford to so, but if we had to pay quarterly bills for services, then we would be forced to stay and wait for tenants or:arghh: purchasers.

Many Thanks

:notworthy:

Alan Smallman

457 Visa granted

House for sale/rent

Removal company sorted

Aiming for March 09!!!

Hi Alan,

My house in the UK has been vacant since September. I still pay the service bills as want to keep the house heated to avoid burst pipes etc. You'll have to ask your council what they do about vacant properties but mine is half price for first 6 months.

However, I've now decided to rent out with full service management so at least I'll have a little money coming in. I'm sifting through paper work as been stung many times before with tenants so this time going to choose the correct company and fingers crossed, a good tenant.

Also get the best insurance for your house too. Its pricey for being a vacant house and not many insurance agencies do it. I'm with Swinton.

Good luck

Judi x

Guest alan smallman

Hi Judi:)

Many thanks for your reply and advice:notworthy:. We are going to use a property managment company who will also have the place marketed for either rental or for sale. We would rather rent it our given the financial benefits, but as you appreciate this will have to weighed up against the possibility of problematic tenants:unsure:. But hopefully, fingers crossed that side should be taken care of by the PM people. We have someone coming next week to look it over with a view to rent so fingers crossed:skeptical:.

Thanks again Judi

X Alan

I think in this current climate, taking such a loss with the price of your house against renting it out for a few years, the latter seems favourable if you can afford to do so.

My house has been up for sale for 2 years. Within that time I've dropped it by 50 grand, and still no takers. I don't want to give it away, so this is why I've decided to go down the renting option again.

Just a bit of advice I learnt though. Tenants who occupy your house and know its up for sale may possibly put potential buyers off.

Mine was let and for sale and the tenants made it really difficult to arrange viewing etc as they didn't want to leave themselves. Your agent is legally allowed to give 48 hours notice to your tenants to enter the property but in reality things don't often go to plan.

Plus those people who want to rent your house and see its up for sale as well maybe put off and therefore you may not find a tenant for awhile.

With the rental market being so competitive as well (as so many people have the same idea) you need all the advantages on your side.

I'm at that point where as long as I have Full Management of my property and I've covered all basis so any problems will be dealt with........l can just forget about the house until the market gets better, whether its 2 or 10 years down the road, I'm passed caring and just want to get on with my life this side of the pond!

Best of luck Alan and family, I hope it all goes to plan,

Judi x

Guest alan smallman

Y'know Judi

You've more or less summed up exactly what we're thinking!! It's become an investment property now, since its price has also dropped £50,000. It's gone that low that it's not gonna pay us to flog it. You're right and a BIG THANKYOU for supporting our outlook. Nice to knwo there are likeminded people out there with the same feelings. God Bless and take care.

XX Alan

We have let our property fully managed and should be leaving in a couple of months, luckily we're stayin with family as we found someone to move in really quickly before the sign even went up and only had 10 days to sort stuff out and move! my Dads garage is now stuffed! We only put our house on the market last September just to get a feel of the market which went majorly down hill as soon as we'd done it so letting was the next option as I'm not willing to wait for the country to get back up off it's knees.

We were told that alot of people are lookink for rental properties now cos they can't afford to buy, the council also told us 6 months half rate if the house was empty, tenants are responsible now though, the letting agent told us to get forms from the tax office too so we don't get taxed if we're out of the country.

Me and my husband are also on a 457 visa and my only concern is if we have to sell one day and need to sort it out from so far away,and if we'll get hugely taxed on the proceeds of the sale if we become permanent residents, need to look into that one! then again it's a security blanket in case things don't work out and we have to come back home (hoping not!)

Sarah and Matt

(just waitin on Sarah nursing registration:arghh:)

Guest alan smallman

Hi Sarah & Matt:)

We both work at Pilgrim. I'm in Urology (lost most of our work to Lincoln County tho) but have had to adapt to becoming medical nurses also. Pauline works in Theatres in Pilgrim (gynae). What does that say about the both of us? What about you two? Is Sarah at the County? Are you a nurse Matt? I do nights (Fri Sat Sun - until end of March and then it's off to Aus).

XX Alan (also known as 'Jasper'). Matron Julie S****n (well she used to be matron) knows of me - if you know her, please pass on my regards!!

xx Alan;)

Hi Alan,

I'm working at ICU at the mo and have a job at Ashford in the HDU/surgical ward, don't think I'll be doing ICU again!!Just send off my registation fee a couple of weeks ago, been waiting for it for 4 months and had to hassle them a bit as I'm due to start my job at the end of May, then it's a case of waiting for my 457. I'm handing my notice in at the beggining of March and then I'll go on the Bank if the visa isn't through so I'm free to go.

Matt's working for a plant hire company at the mo driving the machines so he'll have to job search when he gets out there, not to sure how easy it'll be but it's all part of the adventure!!

Sarah

Guest alan smallman

Hi Sarah

I worked in ICU at Boston 6 months after qualifying. it was OK (there were some nice people working there :biglaugh:) but it wasn't for me:nah:. Neurology is where I'm going next and Pauline is going back into recovery.

XX Alan