where to live

Guest coral

Guest Guest75

Hi Coral

It really depends on what you want and need.

Adelaide is quite spread out with many different areas from beach to inner city to hills/farms.

Will you need to be near work?

Do you mind commuting??

:)

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im a bus driver here and drive around all the different areas.

I would keep away from Prospect / Blair Athol and Port adelaide areas as there quiet depressing.

It depends on the lifestyle your after.

We live out at Christies Beach and it brilliant with everything there and a great beach also very friendy people.

Hi Coral,

This is a very hard question to answer as everyone likes where they live otherwise they wouldn't live there. People like/want different things from their surrounding areas. They also see things differently. For instance Matt likes his local beach. We dont rate it much. Its lovely to the eye but don't like the 'feel' of the sand, if you get me. We love other beaches which Matt may find not to his liking. The same goes for suburbs. We like the Morphett Vale/Woodcroft/Reynella location. Others may not.

Basically you cannot decide on an area until you see it first hand for yourself. Before we came out we had a list of suburbs we thought we would like to live in. We ended up living in a suburb that was never in the running. Places we were recommended really didn't suit us. I'm not saying Matt is wrong about CB as you too may find its perfect for you.

My advice is when you get here make sure you are booked in a short term rental for as long as you can afford and have a good look round.

Pete

Guest ReadyPenny

I agree with Pete. Before our reccie we were dead set on a coastal suburb to be near the sea. After driving around considerably for days on end, we actually preferred the Adelaide Hills and have secured a rental in Eden Hills for our arrival in just over a weeks time.

As Pete said it is difficult until you see for yourself. Personally we didnt like Noarlunga and surrounding areas but people on here live there and love it. Each to their own.

Good luck with the hunting and the final decision.

Mandy

Guest Alipally

I also think that a lot depends on what sort of work you are looking for and how much you're prepared to travel to and from on a daily basis....

If you're into engineering then you may find that all the work is up north.... so if you live down in the Southern Suburbs you can be looking and over an hour travelling each way, each day..... If that's what you're used to then there's no problem. However if you're used to living within 20 minutes of work then it may be a problem....

When looking for a house women tend to look at lifestyle and community facilities (schools, shops etc) and men tend to think about proximity to their place of work.... The solution is to find a location that satisfies all of those needs....

The only thing I can tell you is that nobody wants to live in Elizabeth Vale by the Lyell McEwan hospital.... It's like the worst housing estate in any town in Britain!

If anyone cares to disagree with that, I'd be really interested to hear the rationale!

I also think that a lot depends on what sort of work you are looking for and how much you're prepared to travel to and from on a daily basis....

If you're into engineering then you may find that all the work is up north.... so if you live down in the Southern Suburbs you can be looking and over an hour travelling each way, each day..... If that's what you're used to then there's no problem. However if you're used to living within 20 minutes of work then it may be a problem....

When looking for a house women tend to look at lifestyle and community facilities (schools, shops etc) and men tend to think about proximity to their place of work.... The solution is to find a location that satisfies all of those needs....

The only thing I can tell you is that nobody wants to live in Elizabeth Vale by the Lyell McEwan hospital.... It's like the worst housing estate in any town in Britain!

If anyone cares to disagree with that, I'd be really interested to hear the rationale!

:biglaugh:if you think Elizabeth is bad youve not seen the ones in salford obviously, ok its shabby but ive seen far worse!!

Guest Wersal Gummage

I dont think there are any really bad suburbs South of the City, great beaches and wide open spaces, you just feel so free after living in the over crowed UK..

You have a drive around the South, then have a drive around the North / North East ( My god what a Dump the North East is) everything just seems so closed in and Dirty.

If you read the news paper online, you will notice most if no all of the Bikey gangs trouble, shootings, stabbings go on in the City or Just North of the City.

Not somewhere I would like to live thats for sure.

But drive down Brighton road, Lonsdale road, all the way down to Seaford, turn off right or left into any suburb and I dont think you'll be disapointed.

The only dodgey beach I guess is at Hallet Cove but the suburb it's self is very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alastair71

are you looking for a family house? our house is available and only 5min close to the city. In an ideal location close to bars, cafe's etc... lots of good schools etc close by

Guest salisbury massive

You have a drive around the South, then have a drive around the North / North East ( My god what a Dump the North East is) everything just seems so closed in and Dirty.

And this goes to show why you cannot ask where the best place to live in Adelaide is.

If you are going to put such a sweeping statement perhaps you should state which suburbs and why. I live in Salisbury Heights, I have 1/2 an acre, sweeping views across Adelaide to Port Adelaide and the sea. The houses in my road fetch anything from $500,000 to 850,000. It certainly isn't a dump. There are suburbs that are not so nice but I could equally give the same sweeping statement about some suburbs in the South. But I don't, I give practical advice about what I know.

If you would like to give us your wish list regarding what you would like in and around the house you would like to buy then maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Jo

Hi Jo

I read Worsel's reply and thought he obviously lives near us and is trying to stop an influx of Brits to the area! Just shows that you can't make judgements based on people's views on a forum as some may be being totally sarcastic and telling the opposite of the truth, and how do you tell from the written word!

To Coral,

Make your own choice when you get here, try and rent somewhere relatively central to start with and take your time driving round. For instance, one poster (sorry can't scroll back to see who) said Port Adelaide is awful, but actually that's one of the up and coming areas with an excellent community feel, and a very pro-active council, and some of the best apartments - think London or Liverpool Docklands regeneration - and fantastic transport links. At the end of the day, I think you have to decide where to live based on where you'll be working, so to some posters who are going to be working in the North, don't rule places out until you've seen for yourself.

Good luck

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest salisbury massive
Hi Jo

I read Worsel's reply and thought he obviously lives near us and is trying to stop an influx of Brits to the area! Just shows that you can't make judgements based on people's views on a forum as some may be being totally sarcastic and telling the opposite of the truth, and how do you tell from the written word!

So you think I got the hump to quickly eh????? Just defending the North East ( as usual)

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Jo

Guest coral

thank you very much i will look into your area we want to spent about 400,000 for a house hubby is an electrician so he drives i just want somewhere nice thats good for the kids i have a 6 year old boy and a 10month girl so like aome where to take them but close to shops and things does that help

Guest salisbury massive
thank you very much i will look into your area we want to spent about 400,000 for a house hubby is an electrician so he drives i just want somewhere nice thats good for the kids i have a 6 year old boy and a 10month girl so like aome where to take them but close to shops and things does that help

Check out Golden Grove, Greenwith and Wynn Vale. All three suburbs are close to mine but have a better selection of schools and a lovely shopping centre at Golden Grove. I couldn't recommend the High School which is zoned to Salisbury Heights. I've got one in Private school in year 10 at Wynn Vale and one in state High School in year 8 at Golden Grove. My youngest starts reception next term at Wynn Vale also.The houses are roughly around that price but don't forget you'll have to add stamp duty on top. When we bought our place for $440,000 we paid around $23,000 in stamp duty. The reason I love Salisbury Heights is its quite rural but close to suburbia. When we first drove round the area we live we couldn't believe how lovely it was.

Guest lastboyscout

And this goes to show why you cannot ask where the best place to live in Adelaide is.

If you are going to put such a sweeping statement perhaps you should state which suburbs and why. I live in Salisbury Heights, I have 1/2 an acre, sweeping views across Adelaide to Port Adelaide and the sea. The houses in my road fetch anything from $500,000 to 850,000. It certainly isn't a dump. There are suburbs that are not so nice but I could equally give the same sweeping statement about some suburbs in the South. But I don't, I give practical advice about what I know.

If you would like to give us your wish list regarding what you would like in and around the house you would like to buy then maybe we can point you in the right direction.

Jo

Yeah the North East is a dump.......................... I must be Stig of the Dump because I wouldn`t live anywhere else :biglaugh:

Guest salisbury massive
Yeah the North East is a dump.......................... I must be Stig of the Dump because I wouldn`t live anywhere else :biglaugh:

sorry Lee, I forgot to mention Redwood Park where Stig lives :biglaugh: Lovely suburb, great schools and not quite a pricey as the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

Jo

Guest guest569

Look at the poll. The majority of poms choose south for the beaches. It is all down to personal choice and only you can decide what is right for your family.Your budget will serve you well in all suburbs , so have a good look around when your here and in a short term rental.

And Wersel your right again !!!!;)

All I'd say is consider carefully your line of work - I have read a lot of posts on here from people who struggle to find part time work to fit round school hours - they all seem to be based down south and it always surprises me as if you look around in the North East, there seems to be plenty on offer - well, it has been when I've been looking anyway, and when I was temping and only wanted to do 9:30 to 2:30, I was turning work down. Yes, the beaches are nice, but the hills are lovely too and the city and all it offers is a lot more easily accessible from some sides of town than from others. Have a look at the south eastern suburbs too - 15 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from the City.

Sheep follow the flock, but it doesn't necessarily suit people. (No offense meant to any Kiwis reading!!)

Diane

I don't want to start another thread about where to live but I have read all these and taken them on board but I guess like you say you don't know till you get here.

my husband will likely be working in IT and we don't want a huge commute 30 - 40mins so whch areas of the above should we be looking at.

Unfortunatley I don't think we are going to be able to do a reccie??? might not get there at all with visa cuts etc but I like to dream...

Guest Thongs Rule
Look at the poll. The majority of poms choose south for the beaches.

The last time I checked a map of the city the beaches went all the way from North of the city to the South.

Guest Guest75
The last time I checked a map of the city the beaches went all the way from North of the city to the South.

Oh let's not start the North/South divide up puuurlease!

Maybe the best thing for the moment is to google it, you can look at street level at the houses and see how close places are where your other half works then research what you want in an area, I thought I wanted to live by the coast I did in England and have done for 14 years previous but found when we got here out towards the hills is more for us.

Julie

Guest salisbury massive

Oh let's not start the North/South divide up puuurlease!

its too late I've already got the hump and started it. :jiggy::jiggy: