Which area are you in?

Guest maxxangel

Which area are you living in?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Which area are you living in?

Guest maxxangel

So many people want to know where to settle, so I thought it might be a good idea to do a poll to see where the most popular areas of the city are and if people could put down there impressions of their area as well, that would be good (just because you live there, doesn't mean you like it!).

I live in the North East, which seems to be quite a desirable area. On the whole, I think you have to be working to be able to afford to live here so you don't get many unemployed who would rather not work. However, the housing isn't completely un-affordable either. This makes for quite a nice neighbourhood and good schools. It's pretty as well as you can see the hills and there are lots of trees lining all the roads. You get the occasional run down house and odd bits of graffiti which are usually cleaned up or painted over at some point. No council housing areas as far as I can tell.

PS: Hope this hasn't already been done...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75

OK - good idea.

How about this?

We are in Onkaparinga Hills.Lived here since 2000.

35 mins south of the city in a quiet suburb nestled on the hills with a semi rural feel.

Beach views,10 mins to beach,good local amenities - but you do need a car.

One of Adelaide's smallest suburbs I reckon but a mix of traditional quality housing on large blocks to small farms and horse property's.Not many rentals at all and not many houses for sale - a "tightly held" area.

Access to some good schools and facilities.

All in all a good and peaceful place to live:)

Guest Martin and Val

Well, I can't vote because The Western suburbs Coast line is not in the Poll!

Anyway,

Val and I live in a rental in the Western Suburbs just two streets from the beach overlooking the Southern Ocean. The views are constantly changing as the ocean and beach never look the same from one day to the next. We can also see the hills from the beach.

We are a short walk to a train station and can be in the city on the train within 20 Min's, we can drive it in about 25.

We are just nestled on the edge of West Lakes which is a nice housing area although they do tend to be of a high price. There are some cheaper housing available such as where we are on the edge and into Port Adelaide itself.

Port Adelaide is currently going through a building and regeneration program with some extremely expensive apartments going up.

We are located just along the coast from Henley Beach and within very easy access of the Adelaide Hills, the South and the Airport all being about 1/2 hour away.

Martin

Guest KP Nuts

Good poll Cara, but I've had a bit of a blond moment and picked the south, (in to much of a rush) and I should've picked south coast. We are in the Seaford Rise area. Nice local shopping centre, and lots of different ages of schools around. And the beach is only 3 minutes away, lol.....

Guest stufi1997

We live in Victor Harbor, so i picked south coast. It's a very small community which swells to around three times the size in holiday times. It's a bit cool for us down here, which we initially thought would be necessary cos I'm in the way of going a lovely shade of scarlet in the sun, but thankfully not here (we must've got stronger sun in scotland hahaha). It's got a choice of primary schools, we use the public school and it's been really good for us. a few pubs and eateries and fantastic views and surfing beaches on our doorstep. Plenty of affordable housing, both rented and for sale. Cheers Fiona xx

Guest Thongs Rule

What a great idea for a poll...

I've put CBD down, as the eastern suburbs aren't included either.

We live in Norwood, it's a perfect suburb with a proper irish pub, excellent shops and cafes on the parade, masses of activities and not to many ZZ top style beards in sight. Just 10 mins to the CBD where everything that is great about Adelaide happens, and people here go out to meet each other for an expresso or a beer.

Good idea for a poll.

We're also in the North East, and for me the advantages are: edge of the hills so lovely views, great park (Linear Park) to walk in (and for kids to play in), without major bushfire risk; good local shops and transport (Tea Tree Plaza, the O-Bahn into the City); just 20 minutes drive to the City for shows, restaurants, sports, central market, kids' activities; just 30 minutes drive to the beach or to the Barossa wine region; excellent choice of schools both state and private; good mix of nationalities without any one particular group dominating; good range of housing styles; plenty of employers within easy drive; don't have to drive home from work into the sun; good sports and arts facilities within easy reach.

Disadvantages - bit hilly probably so tend to drive rather than walking to places (just damn lazy though!); have to actually make an effort to go to the beach as it does entail a drive there - although personally I quickly get bored with sand so that's not a big issue for me!

Guest maxxangel

Sorry Martin. In my mind I kind of put the East and West suburbs in with the CBD as I always see it as the middle bit and connect places like Glenelg with the centre. I was worried about putting in too many options as well! Should have explained it or not lumped it together.

Well, I can't vote because The Western suburbs Coast line is not in the Poll!

Anyway,

Val and I live in a rental in the Western Suburbs just two streets from the beach overlooking the Southern Ocean. The views are constantly changing as the ocean and beach never look the same from one day to the next. We can also see the hills from the beach.

We are a short walk to a train station and can be in the city on the train within 20 Min's, we can drive it in about 25.

We are just nestled on the edge of West Lakes which is a nice housing area although they do tend to be of a high price. There are some cheaper housing available such as where we are on the edge and into Port Adelaide itself.

Port Adelaide is currently going through a building and regeneration program with some extremely expensive apartments going up.

We are located just along the coast from Henley Beach and within very easy access of the Adelaide Hills, the South and the Airport all being about 1/2 hour away.

Martin

we are also in the eastern burbs...........wattle park; great schools, nice shopping area, lovely wineries(hic), and just 15 mins from the cbd.

bit expensive to purchase...............rentals are available, can be very much but you pays ya money, right?

All depend where you work, how you work and what you can afford according to your familiy requirements.

We got a big place, but we are a large (shuttit) family;); and will have the ubiquitous family visits........................needs must.

hope my vote counts

Guest Martin and Val
Sorry Martin. In my mind I kind of put the East and West suburbs in with the CBD as I always see it as the middle bit and connect places like Glenelg with the centre. I was worried about putting in too many options as well! Should have explained it or not lumped it together.

Your forgiven, but I still want the West added or I'm not playing!:P

• 1 month later...

I live in Marino which is on the west coast next to Seacliff. It would be a lovely area if it did not have a working quarry which is blasting 2,3,4 times a week making you feel like you live in an earthquake zone. The dust that this generates makes living in central London seem like living in Shangrila! It's a shame the real estate agents and locals don't mention it when you are househunting as it is not a suitable area for kids or anyone with astma, respitory problems or who hates dusting every day of the week. Without the quarry it would be great except for the bogans who have moved in with grafitti artistic kids.

Guest salisbury massive

I'm in the North East suburb of Salisbury Heights. Generally given the thumbs down because it starts with Salisbury. However don't be fooled by other peoples opinions and come and have a look.

Its like living in the country but next door to suburbia, I'm only 10 minutes from the fabulous Elizabeth Shopping Centre and another 5 minutes further is Munno Para. I've got at least 6 excellent primary schools within a 10 minute drive and Golden Grove is next suburb but one. The shopping centre is 5 minutes drive and Tea Tree Plaza is 10 minutes the other way. I've got dentists, doctors, swimming pools, supermarkets, pre-schools, schools, a great local centre called Parabanks in Salisbury with a fab outdoor market. Parafield Airport is 5 minutes down the road for great shops and a massive Bunnings.

45 minutes drive to Jacobs Creek winery and 20 minutes drive takes me into the hills to Gorge Wildlife Park & the giant Rocking Horse etc. Ok its a bit of a trek to the beach. Semaphore is about 40 minutes drive but so what. I lived 10 minutes from the beach in the UK and in the summer it could take hours to drive the 5 miles to get there.

i'm very happy here.

Jo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adenick

We are living in Blackwood, just on the edge of the Adelaide Hills and really convenient for most places. I can get to the CBD in the morning in about 25 mins as long as traffic reasonable, Marion shopping Mall (huge place) is a 15 minute drive. Blackwood has lots of shops inc Woolworths, Coles and many individual shops. Blackwood High and Primary are good schools in my opinion. The beach is a 25 minute drive away and the trees here around the local suburbs give the place an English feel to some extent, but with much better weather! We love it here!

Guest majortom

Always knew there would be a lot of folks down in the south of the city,should really call it Poms in South Adelaide !!!.

Really suprised that there are 18 of us up here in the North East..........

Guest Guest75
Always knew there would be a lot of folks down in the south of the city,should really call it Poms in South Adelaide !!!.

Really suprised that there are 18 of us up here in the North East..........

I was up that way yesterday.

Did not get mugged or hub caps pinched.:biglaugh:

Quite nice up there in the NE especially in the hillier parts.

Only downside would be the distance to the beach.

Great idea

We are in Aldinga Beach, we have built on one of the two new estates in Aldinga - Bayswood. We have always lived south since our arrival in Adelaide, stayed in Morphett Vale (Roo's Rentals) when we arrived initially, rented in Seaford Rise for 18 months and have now been here for 4 months. We picked the south because for us it was affordable, we had some money but not nearly enough to be mortgage free but didn't want to be working purely to pay the mortgage. We landed in Adelaide and were shell shocked in all honesty - it was grey and raining but as we headed down south, the vision we had in our heads of what we thought Australia should look like appeared. My children are at school in Willunga and we have lots of friends in the area although at the moment they are mainly poms there are a few aussies creeping thanks to the children in and we are trying to get involved with lots of community things. I think that there is a great community feeling here too.

Lindsey