buying a house in SA

Prema

Guest soggy
Hi there,

Does anyone know if you can buy a house on a 457 visa?

Do you need to be PR before you can buy?

Thanks

Prema x

Hi,

I believe you can buy a property on a 457 providing it has at least one year left on it and you get FIRB approval, have a look at their web site http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp you can also give them a phone call, helpful people.

Simon:)

Guest Bernie

Hi Prema,

Really good news for all temporary resident visa holders in Australia.

The rules have just changed.

I am copying a blog post I wroye about this below.

The Australian Government's twenty year old rules applying to temporary residents buying property in Australia have just been relaxed. Yippee!

What does this mean? Previously if you were a temporary resident you had to notify the Foreign Investment Review Board of your proposed purchase and had to comply with restrictions on resale and development.

Not any more, here is how it will work in future.

If you are living in Australia as a temporary resident, (apart from tourists, business people and those here for medical treatment).

You will now be able to do the following without notifying the FIRB:

-Buy an established or new home to live in as your principal place of residence (not for investment purposes).

-Buy a single block of residential land on which to build your new home.

In addition foreign students resident in Australia will no longer have a $300,000 restriction on the value of a property they can purchase to live in.

For more information read the press release in full and always get independent professional financial and legal advice.

Good luck

Guest soggy
Hi Prema,

Really good news for all temporary resident visa holders in Australia.

The rules have just changed.

I am copying a blog post I wroye about this below.

The Australian Government's twenty year old rules applying to temporary residents buying property in Australia have just been relaxed. Yippee!

What does this mean? Previously if you were a temporary resident you had to notify the Foreign Investment Review Board of your proposed purchase and had to comply with restrictions on resale and development.

Not any more, here is how it will work in future.

If you are living in Australia as a temporary resident, (apart from tourists, business people and those here for medical treatment).

You will now be able to do the following without notifying the FIRB:

-Buy an established or new home to live in as your principal place of residence (not for investment purposes).

-Buy a single block of residential land on which to build your new home.

In addition foreign students resident in Australia will no longer have a $300,000 restriction on the value of a property they can purchase to live in.

For more information read the press release in full and always get independent professional financial and legal advice.

Good luck

Hi,

I am not sure if this has happend yet, I am on a sir 495 and am buying a house as we speak, I spoke to FIRB directly 2 weeks ago and 1 week ago and at that time approval was still needed, they thought then that the change would have taken place 3 weeks before that but there were delays, I was granted FIRB approval to buy a house to live in as recently as Tuesday (25-03-09) so if you are about to buy check first to make sure. Even if you do still need to get FIRB approval it is not a big problem anyway so you need not worry.:)

Sorry Rachel but South Plymton will be going down market a bit from Easter.:D

Guest Bernie

Hi Soggy,

Thanks for the info. The press release was in Dec 2008 and the changes were due to be implemented by Feb 2009. The wheels of officialdom may have ground to a halt finalising the paperwork. I am checking for updates on the situation.

Glad you're got sorted with a new home.

We're currently on a 3 year temp visa and hoping to get PR after that. We've just paid the deposit on a new block of land at Wasleys (just north of Gawler) and were unsure about whether we still needed FIRB approval.

We showed the agent the info about regulations changing from 18 Dec 08 but not being fully in place until end of Feb / early March 09 re no longer needing approval.

He wrote a clause into our contract re pending non-requirement of approval and we said we would check and still apply if needed.

When I rang FIRB a few weeks ago they said approval would not be required within the next couple of weeks so it would be easier and quicker to hold off going any further until the regulations were officially changed. I rang 3 times altogether to clarify points and each person was helpful but seemed to tell a slightly different story.

The expected date for the regulations has so far gone back at least one month and we're now thinking that we had better get the approval after all, especially as Simon mentioned he got his this week.

Guest Bernie

Hi Burgermeister,

Yes it is a bit frustrating and what I am finding too, no definitive answer about exactly when the changes will be implemented.

No harm getting the approval as you have done the right thing by writing it into the contract.

All the best with in your new place!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TC for short

Just be careful buying a house on a 457 visa. Remember your visa has strings related to your sponsor (ie your employer) and the EXACT job you do so if anything goes wrong at work you could end up in deep doo-doo. You might want to consider waiting until you're on something a little more stable, given the current economic climate.

TC

Guest wemadeit

Thanks for this feedback. I am on a 495 visa - so to clarify, if I were to buy a house (new or old) or land to build a residential property - I no longer need FIRB approval?? What if I choose to buy land and not build on it for the forseeable future - is this ok?

Many thanks,

Tom

Thanks for this feedback. I am on a 495 visa - so to clarify, if I were to buy a house (new or old) or land to build a residential property - I no longer need FIRB approval?? What if I choose to buy land and not build on it for the forseeable future - is this ok?

Many thanks,

Tom

Correct Tom, so if you are to buy a new or established house to use as your main residence then you no longer need FIRB approval.

The same goes for buying land to build your own home again no FIRB is required.

With regards to not building for the forseeable future, not 100% on this one. It used to be that you have to build within 24 months but I think that this exemption may have overuled that.

Give them a call to find out for sure if that is the way you want to go. Very helpful people, details below:

Telephone Inquiries +61 2 6263 3795 (9:00 am – 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm AEST, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and the period between 25 December and 2 January)

Email for all general foreign investment inquiries firbenquiries@treasury.gov.au

Andy

Guest wemadeit

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your help in clarifying this - gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tom

Correct Tom, so if you are to buy a new or established house to use as your main residence then you no longer need FIRB approval.

The same goes for buying land to build your own home again no FIRB is required.

With regards to not building for the forseeable future, not 100% on this one. It used to be that you have to build within 24 months but I think that this exemption may have overuled that.

Give them a call to find out for sure if that is the way you want to go. Very helpful people, details below:

Telephone Inquiries +61 2 6263 3795 (9:00 am – 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm AEST, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and the period between 25 December and 2 January)

Email for all general foreign investment inquiries firbenquiries@treasury.gov.au

Andy

I believe the new FIRB rules have dropped the 24 month time limit for building providing you are a temporary resident and buying for yourself ie not part of a company etc.

However be careful as some new developments have time limits imposed either by the developer or the council. For example we looked at new developments in Freeling and Wasleys, both about 15 mins north of Gawler. Freeling is a bigger site and they want it to grow more quickly so it does have a time limit to start the build (18 months I think). Wasleys is only about 50 lots and has no time limit. We went for Wasleys partly for that reason as we are temp residents and probably won't build until we can get permanent status.

Guest sandar1

Someone sent me a message looking for the contact of an agent based out at Mawson Lakes, and I have not been able to reply to them. The Agent's name is

Anne Kane, can whoever it was that was looking contact me and I will give you the details. 0439884129