Bad Real Estate Agents

Guest markrob

Guest markrob

Just a word of advice for anyone looking to rent real estate in Adelaide. Do NOT use ***** Why this cowboy outfit is called *****, I do not know. I was advised not to use them by an Australian colleague, but decided to make my own juddgements which ended costing me financially and substancially. When you rent a property you put down the normal (in-advance) payments etc and the bond. This out-fit ******** will use every dirty trick in the book, not to return your bond. Even if you have done everything correctly they will play the system and you will not get your bond back. Therfore if you do use this real estate agent be prepared to forfiet any (in-advance) payments. Not only this, the service provided whilst your tied in the tenancy agreemant is appalling, they will not assist in any way. I was without hot water for a week. Anyway, you've been warned, dont fall into the same trap as me........Avoid *******.

you do realise that the bond is held by the government? If there are any disputes its up to them to intervene but you must go to the office asap after handing keys back, letting agents then have a limited amount of time to disbute what should be payed out of bond and proof is required ie photographs etc. most people arent aware of this, i know we werent only a friend had problems recently and this is why the bond office is so full!!

I would advise you to contact these people and make a complaint:

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA)

Chesser House 91-97 Grenfell Street Adelaide 5000

PO Box 965 Adelaide 5001

Residential tenancies

Phone - (08) 8204 9544 (advice)

Fax - (08) 8204 9570

Phone - (08) 8204 9555 (bonds)

Tenancies info on the OCBA site

Tenancies legislation

(2) Residential Tenancies Tribunal

The Tribunal is an independent body that provides low cost resolution of disputes between private landlords and tenants. The Tribunal does not deal with complaints from tenants in public housing .

Level 4 100 Pirie St Adelaide 5000

GPO Box 2361 Adelaide 5001

Phone - (08) 8226 8989

Fax - (08) 8226 8985

I have dealt with them as both a tenant and a (disgruntled) landlord. Their service was excellent and impartial, 9even if I didn't like the result. As stated above, the bond you pay is held by this agency and refunded through them. The Real Estate agent has to say why the Bond is not refunded fully and you can appeal that decision to the Tribunal. It used to cost nothing, but requires a bit of paper work.

The rental manager gets paid for handling the affairs on behalf of the landlord. I would really encourage you to complain through these channels, as the system is set up to avoid unscrupulous landlords, or their agents

Hi,

We are renting through LJ Hooker and our house is twinned with another next door,both owned by the same Landlord.Both our previous neighbours and those in our house before us were treated appallingly,they are attempting to keep the full bond for the most ridiculous reasons imaginable.One is taking it to a Tribunal.We have already resigned ourselves to forfieting our bond($2,100)This is a big racket here in Adelaide amongst certain Letting Agents and,or Landlords,and is morally reprehensible.Beware,and try to speak to previous tenants,or neighbours.Renting privately seems to be the better option.

I've rented through Professionals (Morphett Vale), L J Hooker (Happy Valley), Residential Letting (Hallet Cove) and now through Ring Partners at Blackwood - having rented for over 9 years here, and never had any problems with any of them at all. L J hooker at Happy Valley were superb managing agents - I was with them for 5 years. Ring Partners - whom we are currently renting through - are fantastic. I've never had any problems getting things fixed quickly and efficiently, nor any problems getting my total bond back.

Do not forget that most of the agents I, and others, have mentioned in this thread, are FRANCHISES, and any problems could be with one franchisee only. Be careful not to tar them all with the same brush. Know your tenancy rights - use OCBA as posted above. And have a positive attitude with your managing agent - a bad attitude can really harm the relationship between a tenant and landlord or managing agent. It works both ways.

Southern Real Eastate (Happy Valley) manage the property we rent and i have to say they've been great. have only needed the air con fixing since moving in and it took less that 24 hours for someone to come and fix it (in the heat wave too).

As Wizzy says it's important not to tar all with the same brush :)

Guest Bernie

You do feel powerless when this kind of thing happens. It's a shame because any business operating like this will find that the power of the internet is savage. QED!

Sorry you've had a bad experience.

Guest LordLucan
Southern Real Eastate (Happy Valley) manage the property we rent and i have to say they've been great. have only needed the air con fixing since moving in and it took less that 24 hours for someone to come and fix it (in the heat wave too).

As Wizzy says it's important not to tar all with the same brush :)

I can thoroughly recommend Peter F Burns Real Estate at Brighton, excellent rental agents.

Guest David Brown

One problem we found was that apparently if its a short let it counts as a holiday let so you can't take them to the small claims court, but they are still suppose to register the Bond, which some of them don't do. If they haven't actually paid the bond over to the government agency then the agency will be keen to know about this and so mentioning that you know this to the agents, and generally sounding threatening and knowledgeable will probably get your money back- I had to be really aggressive (out of character!) and persistent to get mine back. Sounds like I was dealing with the agency mentioned in the first post

Guest Lorraine Brinsden

I would like to let you know that there are many good landlords like myself who have rented homes for many years including migrants from th UK and I have never kept any or part of a bond, as a matter of fact I have let tenants out of leases for good reasons like moving into newly built house with no exit from lease costs. I have a good relationship with my tenants as I treat them the way I like to be treated. From Lorraine, Adelaide South Australia

Guest soggy
I would like to let you know that there are many good landlords like myself who have rented homes for many years including migrants from th UK and I have never kept any or part of a bond, as a matter of fact I have let tenants out of leases for good reasons like moving into newly built house with no exit from lease costs. I have a good relationship with my tenants as I treat them the way I like to be treated. From Lorraine, Adelaide South Australia

There are some great landlords, me for example:huh:, and some bad letting agencies, like the one we are just finishing with, I would rather live in a tent in the parklands than use them again, although I don't think the would have me back either now.:D:D

Simon