What is the Gawler area like?

Guest Janine3979

Guest Janine3979

Have been trying to decide where to live, have many posibillities including golden grove, greenwith area. I have been told that Gawler could be an option for us can anyone give us the good and bad points of Gawler and the areas around it?

Janine, Darren, Connor (7) and Melody (5)

Guest 3 go mad in adelaide

It's a long way out, but it's a nice old town, quaint but got everything you need - I like it personally, but like I say, it's a long way out from the City.

I currently live in Wynn Vale, which is just next to Golden Grove and I like it here, we are currently renting and we are going back to England soon, but if we were staying I think we'd look to buy around here. My husband likes Greenwith, but although I thinks it's lovely, as a non-driver I think it's not got the best facilities (and it's REALLY hilly!). Actually Wynn Vale is quite hilly too, but not as much and you do get stunning views of the hills of to Mount Lofty. Golden Grove shopping centre is just behind us (10-15 minute walk) and had all the basics covered, and Tea Tree Plaza is just down the road. The O-bahn leaves from Golden Grove village and takes about 1/2 hour to the City - it's great. If you like the idea of a small Country town feel, I think Gawler has it, but depending on where you are going to be working, Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Greenwith are more centrally situated. There are some other lovely areas around here that are a little more established, such as Redwood Park and Surrey Downs. With the ages of your children, you also need to take into account local Primary Schools. I personally would not recommend Wynn Vale, but there is a private Lutheran Primary next door and Keithcot Farm on the other side of Wynn Vale. Redwood Park has a good reputation though, look at schools VERY carefully, they seem to vary rather a lot!!!

Best of luck with your move and I'm sure you'll make the right decision on where to settle - as long as you have a general area, check out individual suburbs when you get here, you really can't tell until you get here.

I personally think Gawler is a good place to live. It depends on what your after, about 50 mins from the city and about the same to the nearest sandy beaches. Gawler has a small country town feel about it. Its an area that is growing and more facilities are being added all the time. Has all the large shopping places for your weekly shop, coles, foodland, woolworths and BigW and a high Street with many other shops and places to eat.

Some good senior schools in Trinity and Xavier College. Sorry do not know of Primary schools in Gawler but "generally" most primarary schools are similar although obviously there are some that may not be as good and what one person considers good may not mean everyone does. Gawler is close to the country and the Barossa and some great sceneray around.

As an area i would recommend it but...

what should be a deciding factor where to live should be based on what and where the line of work you are looking for and what sort of lifestyle you want more than peoples opinions of areas. You will need to see the areas when you arrive and make your own minds up.

Just to put in Golden Grove and Wynn Vale is established very little new builds going on but not so old as to be run down, I would also put on your list Gulfview (fantastic views) Modbury Heights just across from Wynn vale (also estabished but not run down) Modbury Heights, Wynn Vale and Greenwith are slightly cheaper to rent or buy than Golden Grove itself...

At the end of the day I think like someone else said it depends on where you work and the sort of things you guys will want to do....

Sorry no nothing about Gawler haven't got around to going up that way yet...

Julie

Guest salisbury massive

f you are interested in staying in the north east of Adelaide, i would suggest you have a look at One Tree Hill, Gawler, Kersbrook, Hewitt and Roseworthy.

its a bit of a trek to the City and the beaches but the Barossa Valley is on your doorstep and its very beautiful. Have a look at Golden Grove and Banksia Park, they are suburbia but the fringes have some magnificent properties with plenty of land available.

found this in One Tree Hill

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1238645765

and this

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1238645765

this in roseworthy

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1238645856

and this

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1238645856

and this total gem in Kersbrook

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1238645962

Jo

We liked the look of Gawler when we first came over on a holiday /recce trip a few years and still like it now. The new northern expressway (2010) will help with time to drive to city but its still a fair way out. But even if we have to travel into the city for work for a while it will still be much better than the journey we used to have from Kent to London.

We've just paid the deposit on a 1200m plot at Wasleys, about 15 mins north of Gawler. We wanted semi rural and with Gawler nearby we still have all we want.

Sister in law lives in Greenwith and her 10 year old goes to Greenwith Primary, moving on to Golden Grove High School I think next year which she's been told is ok. Nice round there but buses can be a pain if u need them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest massive

We live in Gawler and are currently building in Hewett the small town has a very adequate high street with most thing you need but if you get stuck its only 10 mins to Elizabeth .

There are some fantastic schools and Trinity will take from reception it is very popular and although our little fella doesn't start school till next year he has no chance of getting in although our daughter has a space .

Gawler has a lovely community spirit and it is quiet it is also about 40 mins to the beach and this is the only negative for us however if it suits you for work location its a nice place to start you dream .

Come and try it all the other areas mentioned to are very nice but you have to see for yourself it is also very hard to get a rental in Gawler and we had to set our sights alot lower than we first thought the demand definatley outway the supply

Debbie

Guest 3 go mad in adelaide
We live in Gawler and are currently building in Hewett the small town has a very adequate high street with most thing you need but if you get stuck its only 10 mins to Elizabeth .

There are some fantastic schools and Trinity will take from reception it is very popular and although our little fella doesn't start school till next year he has no chance of getting in although our daughter has a space .

Gawler has a lovely community spirit and it is quiet it is also about 40 mins to the beach and this is the only negative for us however if it suits you for work location its a nice place to start you dream .

Come and try it all the other areas mentioned to are very nice but you have to see for yourself it is also very hard to get a rental in Gawler and we had to set our sights alot lower than we first thought the demand definatley outway the supply

Debbie

Ooh, Hewitt's lovely too!