Safety Standards? Broken window.....

jo_marnes

Hi all,

We are currently in OAA and earlier today my son broke a window. All he did was lean on it and it has cracked the entire width. Thankgod he didn't go through it because he's have been cut to shreds! He is only 5 - not a big weight and he didn't fall against it. I have reported it to maintenance and it's being fixed tomorrow - at our expense.

The more I think about it, the more I am not happy. Surely the glass should be safety glass? Or toughened glass or something? It is so dangerous. Is this allowed? Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Jo

Guest Libby1971

I don't know about safety glass to be honest. I would have thought that asking someone else to share your ideas on safety necessities is a bit dodgy.

But I am more sure that a place of residence has to be fit and safe for the purpose and use of by the occupiers of that property. In your position, I would ask the repairers to give me a report on the old window and hopefully it will say something in there about maintenance and that it hasn't been done. I would question whether the window had been checked to ensure that it was safe. I would also be an utter cow and demand that the whole property has another maintenance check to ensure that your family's safety is not at risk from any other poorly maintained part of the property.

Guest marty

Glass is glass it breaks, and if you do become an utter cow dont expect to renew your lease. If you think the house is unsafe thou you can contact the residential tribrunial and they will help because if the landlord is cutting corners he needs to be stopped.

Guest Libby1971

Methinks I detect a tad of criticism there Marty.

My comments were made in the context of ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the whole family. Should a glazier's report state that the window was in a poor state of repair, too old whatever and that there was a risk of injury to the occupants of that property, then the landlord is responsible for the mainteneance of the property and therefore also the wellbeing of any tenants. If there is sufficient doubt, as might be raised by the glazier's report, then I would say there are sufficient grounds to ask for a maintenance report on other areas of the property that might also pose a risk to the health and/ or wellbeing of the occupants. This would surely be a more cost effective solution than waiting until an injury and then making a claim.

Guest soggy
Glass is glass it breaks, and if you do become an utter cow dont expect to renew your lease. If you think the house is unsafe thou you can contact the residential tribrunial and they will help because if the landlord is cutting corners he needs to be stopped.

The landloard is housing SA as it's OAA, not a chance of extending beyond 12 weeks so not a problem.:)

Simon

Guest stmatt

Hi Jo,

I think the problem is just that you're used to UK safety standards. They don't really exist in Oz. I would probably raise it with the landlords but don't expect anything to be done in oyur favour.

Karen