Rental availability?

Guest Teresa01

Guest Teresa01

Advice needed please regarding rental availability around the southern beach suburbs at the moment? Its just that we are due to arrive in July and we have a place to stay for a few weeks, but following that we need a rental.

There do seem to be quite a few advertised on realestate.au, but I know that at times people have posted on here, that they have had difficulties securing something!

Any advice would be most welcome!

Teresa

Guest Libby1971

To be honest, there is little point trying to obtain a long term rental while in the UK. I know some people have managed to do it but they are few adn far between.

You would be best off hiring a caar, driving round the suburbs and finding some areas that you like in order to concentrate your search. After that, go to as many opens as you can and also visit the real estate agents. Some will let you know if they have properties coming up, others might say they have an open on in a couple of days but they'll let you have a look and others won't be very helpful at all.

If you have any references, great I think it comes down to what you look like on the day and how you and your family conduct yourselves.

I would also like to point out that you really really really need to see the property yourself. We went to one which we found on real estate which didn't look too bad form the pics. We got there and the owner was still painting the house. The house we saw bore very little similarity to the one advertised. Another one we saw did not have a picture of the ex-tattoo parlour in the shed, or the ex-chicken runs all around the garden which smelt of them, or the in-built fish tank in the living room wall (access was through the bedroom wardrobe on the other side).

Realestate is a good idea and you could see if there are a number of properties that you could visit in the first few days of arriving if that would help. Contact one or two agents and see what they can do.

Guest Teresa01
To be honest, there is little point trying to obtain a long term rental while in the UK. I know some people have managed to do it but they are few adn far between.

You would be best off hiring a caar, driving round the suburbs and finding some areas that you like in order to concentrate your search. After that, go to as many opens as you can and also visit the real estate agents. Some will let you know if they have properties coming up, others might say they have an open on in a couple of days but they'll let you have a look and others won't be very helpful at all.

If you have any references, great I think it comes down to what you look like on the day and how you and your family conduct yourselves.

I would also like to point out that you really really really need to see the property yourself. We went to one which we found on real estate which didn't look too bad form the pics. We got there and the owner was still painting the house. The house we saw bore very little similarity to the one advertised. Another one we saw did not have a picture of the ex-tattoo parlour in the shed, or the ex-chicken runs all around the garden which smelt of them, or the in-built fish tank in the living room wall (access was through the bedroom wardrobe on the other side).

Realestate is a good idea and you could see if there are a number of properties that you could visit in the first few days of arriving if that would help. Contact one or two agents and see what they can do.

LOL!!!! I was slightly worried that they might only show you the bits of the properties that they want you to see and to be honest I have been slightly shocked by the state of some of the ones they do advertise, they remind me of watching the Sullivans on tv!!!

Guest ggolden
Advice needed please regarding rental availability around the southern beach suburbs at the moment? Its just that we are due to arrive in July and we have a place to stay for a few weeks, but following that we need a rental.

There do seem to be quite a few advertised on realestate.au, but I know that at times people have posted on here, that they have had difficulties securing something!

Any advice would be most welcome!

Teresa

It is not easy arranging rentals in aus without being in the country, you will need proof of earnings from your employer and you would definately need to check out the suburbs before committing yourself and don't forget,, the cheaper the rental, the rougher the area (and i mean rough), good luck

Hi Theresa,

Just to add to the other comments.

The rental market is often not that easy to get into. Do you have a job already lined up in Australia? Open days for rental homes may have large numbers of prospective renters viewing the houses. You will be competing against "locals" and the choice of who gets the home often comes down to a points system...you get points for identification (SA drivers licence, Medicare card, bank cards etc). You really need to get contactable references from your present landlord (if you have one). Perhaps your short term rental in Adelaide can also provide you with a reference?

Beware of renting unseen! There are a lot of run down properties and there are some not so nice locations that you may end up in. It may take some time before you know where the dodgy areas are!