Rentals - decorating

Maggiemoo

Hi all,

We will be renting a property when we get there in June and wondered what are the rules about decorating and hanging pictures etc. Are you allowed to do any painting (some of the colours of the walls in the properties we have looked at online are quite bright and we like very plain!). We would also like to be able to hang some pictures/mirrors etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:unsure::unsure:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

i know of someone who have been able to do work on their rental, but I think they have met the landlord and asked him. Most rentals are throguh agents and in most cases you can not paint let alone put a hook in the wall. Some older rentals will probably have hooks ready etc.

Guest Wersal Gummage
i know of someone who have been able to do work on their rental, but I think they have met the landlord and asked him. Most rentals are throguh agents and in most cases you can not paint let alone put a hook in the wall. Some older rentals will probably have hooks ready etc.
I agree with sarahsmartiepants, we wasn't allowed to make any new holes in the walls. You could probably use them stick on hooks from 3M if the pictures arnt too heavy.

Not sure I would want to waste my time and money painting & decorating someones house for them.

I might at a push if I were to be staying there a few years but I doubt it.

Seen a thread about this once and remembered it saying you can't put picture's up on hooks unless they are already present, and definitely not repaint, saying that we have our rental on an 18 mth contract we have had permission the owners to put in foxtel and to put up smoke alarms, I made sure everything is in writing before we did anything just in case, but all in our landlord is very accomodating. The other thing is to be warned our first rental was organised through my hubby's work it was a furnished rental to help us settle after we left they sent an electric bill of $900 for a three month rental, it was a con, so when you get into your property whereever you go write down the water meter number and the numbers for your electric meter at the start of the occupancy and again when you leave.

Julie

Guest dunnarunna

julie i should have thought your landlord should be paying for the smoke alarms i thought a rental would have to have them nowadays, im just assuming mind but ask if i were you. on my inspections they always ask if the smoke alarms are working.

donna

julie i should have thought your landlord should be paying for the smoke alarms i thought a rental would have to have them nowadays, im just assuming mind but ask if i were you. on my inspections they always ask if the smoke alarms are working.

donna

Didn't think to ask about it when we first went to inspect the property, when we moved in we found they had only 1 which is outside the master bedroom, the house we are renting is a four-bedroom and I prefer to have plenty around so I have piece of mind, I didn't mind paying for them they are not expensive, and our letting agent didn't ask about them on their inspection.

Julie

Guest salisbury massive

i know someone who is in a rental they painted with the landlords consent, they have to put it back to the original colours when they leave. Not sure it would be worth the time and effort.

jo

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/tenancies/res/landlordobligations/smokealarms.html

The Development Act 1993 requires the owner of a residential property to install smoke alarms. The smoke alarm you need depends on when you first bought the property.

Tenants enquiring about non-installation of smoke alarms by landlords will be referred to the building inspector of their local council. The council will usually write to the landlord advising them of their obligations under the Development Act and the fines applicable ($750) for non compliance will be enforced in the Magistrates Court if necessary.