Finding rental with a dog - how easy?

Trevali

Hi all,

We are in a dilemma at the moment. We plan to bring our very large bullmastiff dog, who is a real gentle giant. Our children adore him and have said they will not be going to Oz if the dog doesn't.

Can anybody share their experiences who have brought a pet to Oz and how easy/difficult it was to find a suitable rental that would accept a dog. Are most of the rentals that take dogs a bit rundown?

I am aware it won't be easy, but will it be a real stumbling block?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alison x

Hi Alison,

I would say that renting could be an issue with your dog. The rental agreements have standard clauses concerning smoking in the houses and of course exclusions for pets. Having said that...you may be fortunate and get permission from your landlord. Australians are a nation of animal lovers and there are millions of dogs. We had to leave our Bulldog behind which was heart wrenching (but that was because of him not being up to the travel and separation). How long will your dog be in quarantine? Will the dog be in Melbourne? Perhaps you would have a few months here before your dog was with you and you could sort things out..it's not something that you can't work out.

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Alison.

We went through the same worrys as you.

We were contacting agents by phone from the UK (dont email - waste of time) and were told that a lot of landlords would not allow pets without a larger bond.

However we rented a very nice 4 bed house in Christies beach through Residential Lettings at Hallet Cove that will allow both our westies inside. On the contract it is written that they must be kept outside but we have a verbal agreement with the landlord who is brill and that both dogs can be indoors but we cover any damages caused.

So far the landlord has been round twice to fix a leeking tap and replace a light fitting (nothing to do with the dogs) and he always has a good play with them and can see that they do not cause any damage.

He now says that any other poms who want to rent this house with a dog after we have finished with it will ot be a problem.

Only Advice is bring a letter from a vet stating the dogs temperment and lots of photos of the dog and your own house so agencys can see if the dog is destructive or not.

We bought our dog over from the Uk and when we were looking for a rental it did narrow it down abit but we were still able to get a very nice rental. We just offered a higher bond ( which was not taken) and we had a clause put in our rental contract to pay for any damage he might have caused ( luckily he is very well behaved). He was also allowed to live in the house.

Guest nishman

A lot of agents will flatly refuse to accept pets, so it does reduce your choice a little, but not to the point that you'll be completely stuck!;)

We've had 3 rentals - all with pets. First two were private tennancies (on agents), so I think that was easier to negotiate. The last one was with an agent, and the dogs (cats were smuggled in) were supposed to be outside at all times... As long as they don't wreck the place, and are clearly outside when the rental inspections come up there's not an issue with blagging that...

I've had three rental properties and had my dog at them all. At the first house (L J Hooker agents) she was supposed to live outside at all times, and I was caught with her inside once but not too much drama there. The second was through Residential Letting at Hallett Cove, and again the dog was supposed to be kept outside. This was included on the lease agreement, but as the owner was a friend of mine he really didn't mind the dog being inside ....... having said that the lease agreement did state that there should be NO evidence of dog hair in the house at inspection! That agent is quite strict about pets. Our current house is rented through Ring Partners and we are allowed our dog inside, the landlady loves her and has no probs whatsoever. She also allows us to keep 8 birds in various aviaries. The dog is included on the lease, and we had to supply her council registration number on the lease application form, together with her breed, age and sex.

Our dog is a tiddler, smaller than yer average moggy (see my avatar), and I do think you might have more problens getting a rental with such a large dog, but give it a go. There's bound to be a landlord somewhere who loves mastiffs. My hubby's family used to own a bull mastiff and he was a gorgeous, gentle, soppy dog.