Yorkshire Puddings

Guest Jo&Phil

Guest Jo&Phil

If, like me, your attempt at yorkshire puddings result in a flattened, inedible mess ...... there is hope! The butcher at Flagstaff Hill has English ones ready made. Yippee! :)

I realise that, in this weather, this information may not be particularly useful but .... you never know when you'll get fed up with salad.

Sacrilege NO you can't buy them ready made!!!!

Saying that I don't think I have the heart to put the oven on in this heat - lol

There is a nack to making good ones, hot oil, hot oven and patience! love making them. I can't remember the mixture I make and the recipe has not arrived yet but I get great satisfaction form making fresh!

Michelle

x

Guest caoimhe

Saying that I don't think I have the heart to put the oven on in this heat - lol

There is a nack to making good ones, hot oil, hot oven and patience! love making them. I can't remember the mixture I make and the recipe has not arrived yet but I get great satisfaction form making fresh!

Michelle

x

Great ....were all coming to yours for dinner:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75

Michelle

x

There speaks a Yorkshire lass!!!

Mrs Tyke does brill puddings as well - one trick is to have the oven red hot + the trays and the fat/oil in them so the pudding mix sizzles as it's poured in.

Tell me again why we are discussing Yorkshires on a red hot day????:biglaugh::biglaugh:

The seel them in foodland, coles and woolworths around oaklands park!

Dan

they also sell them in Ritos in colonnades, Candy Magic in Beach Rd and Foodland in Seaford

Loveeeeeeeee roast dinners ! :)

Guest WoodMartin

For what it's worth/if anyone is interested:

My trusted easy peasy recipe is 1-3-5. 1 egg, 3 ounces of flour (plain). 5 fluid ounces of milk. (efm - alphabetical order if you forget which is which!)

3 ounces of flour is 3 heaped tablespoons/80g. 5 fluid ounces is a quarter of a pint/100ml ish. No idea how this translates to cups though, sorry. I've never worried too much on precise measurements and it's not failed me yet...

Method: chuck in a bowl, whisk lots, leave to rest for at least an hour.

Definitely agree red hot oven, red hot tray and fat. Take about 10 minutes for small ones.

LOVE the idea of doing these in the barbie... that's my next mission, having just mastered roasting a chook.

Ali

They work for me here. Roughly 4oz plain flour (I guess) 2 eggs and some milk with cold water. Mix and leave to stand for a few hrs. Then make sure oven is super hot - in tins use meat juices or lard and then cook on a highish temp to 20 mins - never open the door

Also a super secret tip - use some of the mixture for the gravy as well - thickens it up better than cornflour

However, I have also seen them in the freezer secion at coles!

Guest Guest75
Event with batter mix, if I make 'toad in the hole' it looks like 'toad run over by large truck'!

:biglaugh:

Let your mix sit in the fridge all day - that can often help.

Plus beating the mix well.

In a past life I had a fish & chip shop so batter was one thing close to my heart;)

• 7 months later...
Guest jo37463
In the continental section of coles they have yorkshire pudding batter mix, you just add egg and water, work everytime, you can also use it t make toad in the hole, yummy

Oh please no!

Yorkshire pudding batter: one, one, one.

ONE egg, ONE cup of flour (self raising or plain, depending on who you listen to), ONE cup of milk. A bit of salt and pepper won't go amiss here.

Mix. An electric beater helps, if you have one. Let the mix stand - if you feel like it - whilst you cook the rest of the dinner.

Now, the important part. Oven on maximum with your cooking dish in there.

When all is hot, add fat/oil (dripping is best - and only a bit - just enough to coat the cooking dish). Let the oil get really hot, perhaps it will even start to smoke! Now QUICKLY add the batter.

Cook. Enjoy.

So there you have it. A simple batter cooked in a really, really hot pan Get as fancy as you like, but at heart it's just batter in a bit of fat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...