Pie recipes?

suzer

Anyone have some tried and tested pie recipes - sweet or savoury? I make a lot of fruit and custard pies, but would love some recipes for meat pies as well.

Here is a perfect every time, very easy and cheap, mix in the pan pie crust recipe:

Pie Crust

1 1/2 c Flour

1 1/2 tsp Sugar

1 tsp Salt

1/2 c canola oil

2 tbspn milk

Mix flour, salt, and sugar in pie pan. Slowly add milk and oil. Mix well with a fork and pat out to fit pan. Bake at 180 until brown, usually about ten minutes.

Guest katsmajic

I make pastry in bulk, you could half quantities etc if required.

Very short, short crust pastry =

600g plain flour

500g grated butter

375mls soda water

pinch of seasoning.

sift flour, gentley rub in butter - not into breadcrumb texture as thats overworked, stir in water and fold intogether.

Sift some excess flour onto the worktop, roll pastry mix around in a ball, then roll out to required thickness - i go quite thin, then cut out what you want - you can roll excess into a ball wrap it well in gladwrap and it'll keep in the fridge for a cple of days.

Pie - blowing my own trumpet but the Lord Daresbury loved this pie and insisted only i could ever make it for him....and its lush!

Brown your onions off with a little butter, throw in a little seasoning, throw in cubed beef, brown the beef up so it's all sealed and keep it sizzling for a couple of extra minutes.

Add stout/guinness, stir in well, i add a few splashes of worcester sauce and tomatoe paste now, keep mixing in well, add more pepper (no salt) if you want mushrooms or veggies/tinned tomatoes etc in throw them in now. I add mixed herbs, (thyme/dill etc - dried is ok) & add some stock aswell.

Either cook out on the hob for a good couple of hours on low heat or pour into an oven tray, cover with alfoil/tin foil, leave on very low in the oven for a few hours.

When the beef & gravy/sauce looks like and is rich/thick/brown/melts you can EITHER

let it cool - then portion into your pie dish at your convienience cover with the pastry lid, eggwash the pie lid and cook in the oven for about 25mins on quite high.

OR top with the pastry lid, egg wash it, turn the oven up higher 180/200' and cook it til the pastry is golden and its ready to serve.

Will edit later - as im being rushed right now,....

A fruit pie as well - Pineapple Buttermilk Meringue Pie (easy even though it looks like a lot of steps)

20-oz can crushed pineapple

1/2 cup pineapple juice (reserved from canned pineapple)

3/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp all purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk (or make your own with milk & vinegar)

3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Meringue

3 egg whites

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180. Drain can of crushed pineapple and reserve 1/2 cup of pineapple juice. In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Stir in pineapple, reserved pineapple juice, buttermilk, egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir well, then turn on the stove to medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture just comes to a boil and thickens. Be careful not to burn. It will have a lemon curd type of consistency with slow bubbles when it is done. Cover pan and cool to room temperature.

While filling cools, prepare the meringue. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat in vanilla extract.

Pour cooled pie filling into baked pie shell (see recipe earlier in thread). Top with meringue, spreading it to the edges of the pie crust to cover the filling completely. Smooth top with a spatula. Bake pie at 180 for 10-12 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned. Cool, then refrigerate before serving.