Sausages

Dawn

Sorry this is a pet hate subject of mine. There are plenty plenty of decent sausages around. I have spent 3 months listening to an aunt of mine moaning that the sausages "taste funny" and "aren't like English ones" erm well thats cos we are in Australia and even the ones that say English sausages are made here.

Its a case of trying different kinds until you find the ones you like

As in Oz eat and do what Australians do

Guest guest569

I believe you can still get your Lincolnshire bangers in good old lincoln UK.;)

failing that, most pork sausages here are ok. Its the beef ones that just take abit of getting used to.

Guest kangomik

Foodland slape and sons usually do the trick.

Also have a look at the ingredients, most things with beef in tend to taste "funny"

I do agree though, when in Oz eat like an Ozzy

Guest guest3462

The best sausages by far in south Australia are to be found in the butchers at new southgate plaza at reynella where target is! There are lincolnshires, cumberland, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, kangaroo you name it and They never fail to please!!! They are a bit more pricey but with everything you pay for what you get and the qualty is brilliant! And they're only $12 a kilo. Give it a try and you'll be converted forever- he also does uk pub style gammon steaks whch are AMAZING!!!!!! :-)

Guest guest3462

The best sausages by far in south Australia are to be found in the butchers at new southgate plaza at reynella where target is! There are lincolnshires, cumberland, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, kangaroo you name it and They never fail to please!!! They are a bit more pricey but with everything you pay for what you get and the qualty is brilliant! And they're only $12 a kilo. Give it a try and you'll be converted forever- he also does uk pub style gammon steaks whch are AMAZING!!!!!! :-)

Guest kerfumph
Does anybody know where to buy decent bangers ?? I'm fedup of the "Barrage balloons" you appear to get most places - what happened to Licolnshires ??

Yep, and being a yellow-belly, I know my snags.

Kanmantoo Bacon and Quality meats.

Pork and sage thick (of thin errgh) sausages, only made on a thursday and with no preservative need to be eaten or frozen by the weekend.

Thanks everybody - I only want choice & hope that some enterprising expat butcher would like to earn a few extra bob - by providing the goods .......... failing that, I will buy the necessary equipment & make my own !!!

I'm with your Aunty "Lisado" - they do taste "funny" - think it's mace they add that does it ????

Oh & congrats to Julia & Richard on the early arrival of "little bump"

I don't think I ever recovered from biting into a lamb sausage 10 years ago on my first weekend in Australia, meeting potential inlaws for first time and country BBQ out woop woop. Actually I can palette them now but the surprise not what I was expecting taste took a long time to get over!

Don't think you are weird looking for sausages you like, I have found some really good ones over time!

Coles pork and apple cider are good, bit like the tesco finest range.

foodland snape and sons are good.

There's a butcher at tea tree plaza does good pork sausages, but recently I have also discovered the Italian place on Lower North East Rd just opposite the private hospital on the other side of the road. Can't remember its name but their "continental" pork sausages are really great. Not english tasting, just really good.

Guest moonraker1959

Can't help you to find good sausages,but my Mum still whinges about the "snags"and she's lived in SA for 40 years!:biglaugh:I usually say to her "Get over it"lol.

I've tried a lot, some are totally unpalatable and I just don't eat them, some are OK (the Foodland english style pork and the Coles Apple and cider previously mentioned) but none of them are really deliciously good, like the sausages from our local butchers in England (Braughing and Broad Oak Farm). We had some quite nice ones from the butchers shop in Barmera, but that's a long way to go!

Sausages here are an acquired taste that's probably not worth the effort in acquiring - I'd rather eat something else.

A decent sausage is something to look forward to when I next go back to England (whenever that may be).

I've tried a lot, some are totally unpalatable and I just don't eat them, some are OK (the Foodland english style pork and the Coles Apple and cider previously mentioned) but none of them are really deliciously good, like the sausages from our local butchers in England (Braughing and Broad Oak Farm). We had some quite nice ones from the butchers shop in Barmera, but that's a long way to go!

Sausages here are an acquired taste that's probably not worth the effort in acquiring - I'd rather eat something else.

A decent sausage is something to look forward to when I next go back to England (whenever that may be).

Well said Anne,

Iv'e tried loads here,and not one brand has me enthusing,in fact i don't even eat them anymore,in case i feel ill afterwards.!

I was thinking about this issue again the other day (too much thinking time without internet which is playing up nicely since moving) and I realised that there is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking most of the sausages on offer and looking around for a family favourite till you find one! Because although we've moved "to Rome" so has everyone else, and that's why Australian food is a mix of many different cuisines, you can get just about any nationality's food that you desire, you can go to an Italian deli and buy italian pasta and lots of different "real" Italian foods, you can do the same with German food, Asian food etcetcetc... so I don't mind admitting I prefer English sausages and although I will put up with the Aussie ones, I will look around for different "European" pork sausages and decide on and buy the ones we like the most.

I also don't think it makes anyone any less 'settled' for having culinary preferences and trying to do the best they can to satisfy their family's taste. :)

I used to make my own. But then I used to rear my own pigs (and chickens) for meat. We'd have a few pigs, rear them, have them slaughtered and portioned up and we'd use certain cuts and have it minced. The first few off the production line were always a bit of a funny shape but once you got into it, was pretty simple.

I usually had a bottle of wine to hand, lots of fresh herbs, spices and some grated apple/pear and other fruits to throw into batches of mince and so get loads of variety flavour wise. I think the cider and apple ones were the best. Sometimes a friend would help and we'd have a bit of a giggle making masses of bangers of an autumn evening. Best to make in bulk and freeze simply because of the effort involved in setting it all up. Bit of a waste of time for just a dozen.

The financial layout of the machine to churn out the meat is the biggest cost and that isn't so bad so long as you ensure you use it to get your monies worth out of it. The skins are cheap and my advice would be to not bulk out the bangers with biscuit/crumb but to have as much meat content as possible. Bit more expensive then but certainly really tasty.

O I liked the camel sausages from the central market. Quite tasty :D

I really am not smitten with the standard Aussie banger bought in most supermarkets but for a barbie covered in sauce and onions they were fine. We tend to not eat that many sausages anyways but for a meal with a jacket spud or some such, good bangers are great.

Hehe :) I do like making my own food that's for sure. And rearing it. Depending on what you feed livestock the meat has very different flavours. Our pigs used to get loads of veggies and stuff, plus root around in a large enclosure and the last few weeks would have grains and beer/ale in with their food. Gives a real flavour to the meat.

I think a lot of the difference in Aussie meat, at least the 4 legged kind is the feed they get and the outdoor time to help the meat improve in flavour.