Vegtarian in OZ - possible?

Guest beth

there are actually loads of veggie things you can get here, even linda mcartney sausages I gather! you can get allsorts in the supermarket from veggie bacon to veggie quiches, pies, pastries etc and in the summer there are some fab salad options available. Some places have lots of veggie options although some have nothing so you might need to check before eating out. Most places are very accomodating though.

Hi Beth

Like Rachel31 says, it is possible! I'm not veggie, but don't eat much meat. Coles (Aussie version of Asda) do a lot of Quorn products, although they are expensive. They are occasionally on offer though, so I stock up when they are. There are a few other brands of veggie things but I don't recognise them.

Oh yeah, and there's an organic vegan cafe in Adelaide CBD......their falafel wraps are fab! (google 'organic garden cafe' and it should come up).

Generally though, restaurants etc do veggie options and I'm pretty fussy so often ask for variations and so far evberyone's been accommodating.

HTH

Guest HeatherandPip

I have to differ - although I am relatively new here so may be still finding out for myself. I have been veggie for 25 yrs and find it quite difficult here. The supermarkets I visit have some quorn products but limited and you cant rely on being able to get the product you want in every supermarket - they all have something but it is a case of take what is available. I have found that a lot of foods have meat in them somewhere! (eg. veg quiche or pizzas often have ham/bacon too). Dont know how strict you are but I have to check everything like cheeses butters yoghurts for animal fats/gelatin/rennet etc.

Havent seen any Linda Mccartney stuff - be interested to know where anyone has found that pls?

Eating out - limited choices on the menu but generally something available (usually pizza, pasta, same old thing) - have never asked for alternatives in restaurants but sure they would be accommodating, so maybe I should start!

I suppose it came as a shock to me because a veggie diet in England is so easy these days (was verging on veganism before I left)

Its def not so easy here but is certainly feasible - just have to get to know the shops well and be prepared to do a bit of legwork to get exactly what you want. And think ahead - cant really just stop off at the garage to pick up something for dinner (unless you want beans on toast!)

Oh there are a lot of carvery type places here which are fab for veggies - normally have a set price but if say you are just going for the veggie/salad bar, they should give you a discount.

There are quite a few veggie restuarants in the city - Rundle Street, Central Market, Gouger Street, and one in Semaphore as well. Plenty of meat substitutes in the supermarkets, and of course if you cook a lot, ezpz. There are usually some veggie options on most restaurant menus as well.

HeatherandPip - good point about the cheeses etc, I don't like the idea of rennet or gelatine so avoid as much as poss, but find loads of stuff does have something in. I compulsively read packets!

I find the Anzac Highway Coles (Kurralta Park) has the best range of Quorn products, although I've only really been in there and the Central Market one. Woolies is pretty poor for them all round!

Guest marco

There is a shop/cafe called 'Vego To Go' just off the parade in Norwood (opposite Coles), who sell a good selection of shop made food. I believe they are in the process of opening another one in the city. Also try stall 42 at the Central Markets, for a similar range.

Guest the4hopes

Linda Mc Cartney- Foodland -Fairview, Pasadena, Mitcham, Foodworks-Glenelg

Frys - Woolies-Glenelg,Blackwood,Harbor Town (probably more) Foodworks- Glenelg

Redwood- Foodworks-Glenelg, Foodland(some)

Sanitarium foods in fridge in most supermarkets

Eating out- Vegetarian Delight-Port Road, Vego n loving it-Rundle Street, Joy Discovery-Bent St, Zenhouse-Bent St, Bliss cafe-Compton St, Pure Vegetarian- food hall Central Market, Meesu-Pultney St, Theas tea shop-Gawler Place, Vegetarian Garden-Renaissance Arcade(Rundle Mall), Veggie Village-Waymouth St, Eggless dessert cafe-Goodwood Rd. I may think of more!! Wok in a box- make your own box choice.

Guest domjcw

I have been vegan in both the UK and Australia.

The UK is easier in some ways, partly because the labelling of foods is much more specific. There is less labelling of foods in Australia as 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' friendly - partly I suspect because the market is smaller.

There are some products that are hard to find in Australia - there are no good soy creams for example (and no Cauldron marinated tofu!), but generally you can find similar or equivalent things here to those that you can find in the UK.

Bliss organic cafe near the Central market in town has a great store out the front with a large range of specialty products.

Restaurants in large urban centres will usually have at least some vegetarian options, and Adelaide has a fairly good selection of vegetarian specific places to eat out. For fine dining a number of the fancy places will even do vegetarian degustation menus. Assagio in Hyde Park is a particularly good Italian restaurant with a separate vegetarian menu.

cheers

Dom

The supermarkets I visit have some quorn products but limited and you cant rely on being able to get the product you want in every supermarket - they all have something but it is a case of take what is available.Eating out - limited choices on the menu but generally something available (usually pizza, pasta, same old thing) - have never asked for alternatives in restaurants but sure they would be accommodating, so maybe I should start! I suppose it came as a shock to me because a veggie diet in England is so easy these days (was verging on veganism).

We've just returned from a visit to England and I could not believe the amount of options available! I was soooooo envious!I was pretty excited when Quorn came to town, although I know know how limited our varieties are :(

I think it's more acceptable to be vegetarian now - although our son and many of our friends were extremely scathing when my husband decided to go vegetarian last year - so I am hoping that this acceptance might mean all those lovely things will get here soon.

As I am old (ha ha...but I am!) I don't really use looky-likey vegetarian alternatives because there weren't many good ones about back in the day but my OH and daughter like all the pre-made burgers, minces etc. IMO it is becoming ever easier to be a vegetarian here but you still need to be prepared and ready to cook from scratch, which I imagine most of us would be.

I now use soy milk and try to use vegan alternatives wherever possible so if anyone knows of any palatable parmesan alternative, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks, LC