Australian Christmas Ham...

Sallyh

I have been here 4 Christmases (almost!) and I still don't quite "get" why ham seems to be different here. So please can I have a bit of help with understanding why when you buy ham here, it is always pre-cooked?

I have never bought it (though I've done ham in the UK different ways before coming here). However, have just been given a leg ham and now need to do something with it for Christmas. :)

So please can someone tell me a not too complicated (cos I don't have time!) way of cooking (re-cooking?!) this thing, and also because it is already cooked once, then you do it again yourself, whether it then has to remain cold or whether it can get heated up again if I cook with the leftovers. And how long you would reckon it is ok to keep it once I have "cooked" it. Do you have to keep it wrapped in cotton? It suggests that on the packaging.

So, I guess, a gentle idiot's guide that gives me credit for someone who can actually cook, but who doesn't understand Australian ham practices (!!!) would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Aussie ham étiquette 101...... Most of the ham is pre cooked due to the weather traditionally or at least cured etc to keep it from going off too quickly. Basically you just fancily the skin, scoring , glazing etc and then baking it. It can be served hot from the oven or sliced up when cold. Keep it in the Ham bag in the fridge to let it breathe and you usually need to use it up within 5 days or so. Use it like sliced ham from deli, so you can use it in cooking, sandwiches etc. If you have any left chop it up and make some pie or soup that you can freeze for later when the weather becomes cooler in a few months. Here is a recipe to give you an example... http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9034/step+by+step+glazed+ham

Yeah you should buy a ham bag from the supermarket to keep it in. They are usually a couple of bucks or so. You just soak the bag in a mixture of water and vinegar then wring it out, and the ham will keep for a week or so in the fridge, just rinse the bag in fresh vinegar/water every couple of days.

We've glazed ours with Buderim ginger marmalade, brown sugar, cloves and valencia orange slices this year.

Oh and I always remove the skin before glazing!

:)

Thanks.

I have not been able to get any cloves (vicariously, I sent DH). But in any event have ideas for a glaze, yes I looked and the things said remove the rind and score the fat...

I will use my endless supply of muslins rather than go and buy a bag, but will do the vinegar and water solution thanks again!

PIA saves the day again.

Stevo ......... not yet ..... but hubby had a nibble last nite! It looked fab. I will try some tomorrow but being careful at mo cos me and my gall bladder parted ways a week ago and that can do very strange things to your digestion :eek:

Yes, cook it so the glaze umm glazes :smile: or you can just use it straight away .... but keeping it is the same ... ham bag, or as Sally is doing - use muslin

We've tried various stuff to glaze over the years including mixes of bbq sauce, honey, mustard, plum sauce, brown sugar, orange marmalade, cloves, and anything else that's lurking in the pantry.

I love a couple of thick slices of ham chucked the bbq, with egg in bread, for brekkie mmmmmmm Just cut the middle out of a slice of bread with a scone cutter and break the egg into it.

We usually do ours until the house smells good!

The one I cooked on Thursday was about 4 kilos ish ...... and I had the oven on 180. It was in for about an hour and 15, and we basted a couple of times.

I'm still experimenting, but not had a distasteful one yet.

Sharon

BTW am also experimenting with drying out the skin in the sun, so I can chop it up for dog treats! It's hanging on my washing line atm :biglaugh:

Great posts everyone!!

BUt I am still annoyed we can't buy it uncooked!!!!!

I found a great recipe (not done it yet, doing it in the next week or so, maybe for New Year) where you do an apricot glaze, and you use cloves to secure the apricots all over the ham like tiny little skewers. Sounds fantastic, so will try it. Was an Allrecipes method, will try to find the details and post if its not too late for anyone.

Had ham today at inlaws, and they had a bought ham which they didn't "recook" they just sliced and served it.

THe one I have was one a relative's work was giving out to their employees, but they had a spare one hence they gave it to us. 2.7kg leg, Holco, looks good.