Australian meals

flossybeth

It's 35 degrees outside and I've got cottage pie in the oven for tea because I'd already defrosted the mince.

What I need is to re-educate myself into meals for warm weather but am finding it hard to get out of a British mindset - when we had summer days it was easy enough to do green salad with cold meat or quiche because it wasn't too often but obvioulsy here it's just going to be hot for a long while. So what do you all eat? What are light but filling relatively meals that aren't lettuce???

Or is that what the barbecue is for - outdoor cooking so the kitchen doesn't get so hot?

Thanks, Floss

Try picking up some of the supermarket (some are free) magazines - they have lots of ideas for meals, lunch boxes, entertaining and great weekly menus for seasonal food

http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/website/woolworths/freshfoodideas/recipes/delicious+recipes

http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/website/woolworths/freshfoodideas/woolworths-magazines/our+magazines?year=2012

http://www.coles.com.au/Products/Coles-Products/Magazines.aspx

Edited by jtct

I do lots of more interesting type salads, things like couscous or quiona mixed with raw veggies (carrot, capsicum, zuccini or what ever you fancy) and nuts. Or rice stir fried with some lightly suateed veggies, cooked meat, nuts and pineapple. If making just a salad I'll use different things like mango, apple, coriander, mint, basil etc and I'll make my own dressings. There are some good recepies for some more substantial (and none lettuce based salads) in the River Cottage veg book. Stir fries are quite good for the heat, even though they are hot food. They take very little time to actually cook so not much time with the heat on inside - you could even do them on the BBQ outside if you wanted. Either make your own sauce/flavourings or buy a ready made one from the shop.

The other thing I do is check the weather forecast at the begining of the week and plan in my more cooking intensive meals for the days when it's cooler and I make extra and freeze the left overs for anothr day. I find that a hot meal isn't so bad if you are just warming it up and not spending hours with the oven on. Alternatively do a roast ona cooler day then use the leftovers in easier meals on the following (hotter) days.

I do lots of more interesting type salads, things like couscous or quiona mixed with raw veggies (carrot, capsicum, zuccini or what ever you fancy) and nuts. Or rice stir fried with some lightly suateed veggies, cooked meat, nuts and pineapple. If making just a salad I'll use different things like mango, apple, coriander, mint, basil etc and I'll make my own dressings. There are some good recepies for some more substantial (and none lettuce based salads) in the River Cottage veg book. Stir fries are quite good for the heat, even though they are hot food. They take very little time to actually cook so not much time with the heat on inside - you could even do them on the BBQ outside if you wanted. Either make your own sauce/flavourings or buy a ready made one from the shop.

I have a recipe you might like for chicken in a pesto creme fraiche (with grapes). Amazingly it works really well and is great with cold pasta or rice or with fresh bread and salad. Because the chicken is chopped in to pieces and the grapes usually cut in half a chicken breast or two can go a long way.

The other thing I do is check the weather forecast at the begining of the week and plan in my more cooking intensive meals for the days when it's cooler and I make extra and freeze the left overs for anothr day. I find that a hot meal isn't so bad if you are just warming it up and not spending hours with the oven on. Alternatively do a roast ona cooler day then use the leftovers in easier meals on the following (hotter) days.

Some great comments and ideas on here. We are in our 5th year now and this is what we find works best...

When it gets hot and we want to use the air conditioning it does seems silly to heat the house up with cooking too.

So we have salads ands cold food, also buying a cooked chicken like mentioned above but the do go quick from the shops.

We have a Webber kettle bbq to cook a roast outside and can also spit roast a chicken, that all works a treat.

Things that are cooked in the house if you really fancy something are ok if cooked really quick like stir fry.

When it has been very hot (i.e. 40) for most of the week you tend to yearn for a proper cooked meal, so we then go out to a nice air conditioned place and let someone else do the cooking.

Some places do half price meals at tea time, such as Mick Osheas down south, 5 to 6 pm weekdays and is a nice treat when its hot...

Still what we all need it lots and lots of water at that time, so dont forget guys keep drinking any chance you get.......enjoy the summer :)

Thank you, there are some really good ideas. Stir frys and mixing up different salads are a good idea - the fruit and veg here is so much tastier so it's good to have something new to do with them.

And Snifter please share your recipe, I'll try anything once and again and again if it goes down well.

I have a recipe you might like for chicken in a pesto creme fraiche (with grapes). Amazingly it works really well and is great with cold pasta or rice or with fresh bread and salad. Because the chicken is chopped in to pieces and the grapes usually cut in half a chicken breast or two can go a long way.

That sounds lovely. You should definitely share the recipe.