I arrived in Adelaide last Tuesday and have spent the time trying to sort out minor issues so I start job hunting.
I will list the various things I have found useful and may be of use to others.
- The Tax office is located on Weymouth St in the city. You can apply online at the office as long as you have an address. This costs nothing and will be sent in the post in a couple of weeks (yet to recieve mine). Ask staff directions for the medicare building for the next street along.
- Take your passport to sign up for medicare which you can do while you wait and costs nothing. You are given a temp number with the card posted to you in a couple of weeks. The building is the next street along from the tax office. Ask staff where the driving licence office is located.
-The drivers licence office is the next street along from the medicare office called Service SA. Take you drivers licence and this will cost you money. I paid $91.00 for a 2 year licence which will be sent by post.
- Shop around for payg sim cards. Telstra, vodaphone, optus and virgin seem to be the big players. I settled for the virgin simple plan which lets me phone the uk and domestic 15c per min.
- Ask about internet coverage for mobile broadband. Went with Telstra as I'm in the hills. Make sure the shop acivated the usb dongle otherwise a 20d phonecall to a tech number to activate.
- multi use bus tickets, 10 trips for $30.90. very good value and can be bought from newsagents.
- Oz equivalent of A to Z is called a street directory which can be bought from newsagents.
Hope this is of help, as I have not been able to contribute much in the past but have benefited from the posts on this site.