• Moneycorp currency Transfers
  • Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Like Tree242Likes

Thread: Has anyone returned back to the UK and realised it was a mistake??

1 times
      Hi, my family and I (husband and two kids 6 and 4) are thinking of returning to Adelaide after living there for 18 months (2007-2008) and then returning for a short two months in 2010. In 2010 it was all guns blazing, we were coming for good and that was that (we had the usual last minute doubts as I think most people do). It turned out to be a catalogue of disasters. My husband immediately reacted negatively the night we arrived said he thought it was mistake, I tried to talk him out of it. A week later after much talking I got chicken pox and was bed bound for a week. It was cold and wet, we found out our boxes had not even left the depot in the UK......etc etc. After much soul searching we decided to book flights home, told everyone we were coming back. Then....after spending time in Adelaide in the few weeks before we flew home, my husband thought we should stay. I put my foot down and said we had to go back. Needless to say we arrived back in the UK and had very mixed feelings about our decision. Cut to present day, we have bought a house, kids are settled but we still think about Adelaide all the time and feel we made a big mistake and with hindsight should have stayed. Easy to say that now. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this position, we are very seriously thinking of returning...could it be third time lucky?

Here, not there.
      4892 times
      I've not done the ping pong thing but plenty have. A few on here and plenty on our sister site Poms in Oz.

It does sound to me you acted in haste the last time in 2010 and that perhaps had things been a little smoother you may have given yourselves the time needed to find your feet and settle.

I think if you do it again, be prepared for the stress of those early weeks and months and all that it can throw at you and be sure you are both totally on the same page with wanting to return. It'd be a disaster if you move all the way over and one of you turns rounds and admits they were not really sure about the move.

If you both feel you made a mistake and want to give it a go, nothing wrong with doing so. Financially you'll take another hit but if you are prepared for that then go for it.

Good luck with whatever you do. Hopefully you'll find this forum helpful should you decide to return :)

54 times
      Consider writing a list of what reasons both times you left - and try and work round them and talk through them.
      Ie family. Get Skype.etc.. There are lots of differences when living out here that you don't see when your back in the uk. It's not the same - as you have probably realise. Jus think - can you see yourselves settling here again and for the next 10 Years.. Or so...
      big decisions and costly too. Good luck

6 times
      I haven't been on here for ages.....but I've been in Adelaide for 4 years now and don't think I'll ever go back to the UK unless I really have to...I have a few friends who have been back for holidays and couldn't wait to get back to Adelaide!!
      Paula H likes this.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112