Selling household items

suzer

Just wanted to say I'm disappointed to see that threads with people selling household items are being deleted. We've bought quite a few, very useful items from people on this site, as extremely reasonable prices, so I hope we are not now going to have that option banned.

Suzer

Guest the4hopes

The forum is all about helping members in many ways, so when we do have an odd item to sell that can be helpful for both parties, but we cannot have too many people on here just to sell items mainly for their benefit to get rid of things. This would just turn into a free advertising "for sale" forum for many people, we have to keep up with things, before it gets out of hand. Please understand this!!!

So what are the qualification rules for being allowed to submit a "for sale" post?

Is there a minimum time period that you have to be member for or perhaps a minimum number of posts you have made, or perhaps a minimum number of posts that you have viewed or some other ludicrous rule.

Are there any other types of posts that new members can't submit?

If there is a "for sale" forum then allow it to be used.

Cheers

Chris

Guest the4hopes

For selling items there is Gumtree http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/

Too many people are just using this forum to just sell.

This forum is to help those making the move to South Australia. -Plus related subjects.

Tell us about yourselves - share some local info - help out!!!............PLEASE!

If ya' don't put in - ya don't get out!!!!!!!

TYKE

This is from the thread concerned.

Guest The Pickles

I don't like Gumtree... at least buying things on here you sort of know the type of people you are buying from. People in the same boat who have just arrived in Adelaide, families on a low budget, waiting for shipment delivery etc etc

Guest the4hopes
I don't like Gumtree... at least buying things on here you sort of know the type of people you are buying from. People in the same boat who have just arrived in Adelaide, families on a low budget, waiting for shipment delivery etc etc

Anyone can join this forum you still have no idea who you are dealing with unless they have posted on here for a while!

Guest Guest75
Just wanted to say I'm disappointed to see that threads with people selling household items are being deleted. We've bought quite a few, very useful items from people on this site, as extremely reasonable prices, so I hope we are not now going to have that option banned.

Suzer

Not at all Suzer.

It's a great section and I've bought from it myself.

There just seem to be a lot of people just in this forum to sell things at the moment - or just joining to sell things.

I do recognise the fact that there are those of us who have products and services but most do put in a lot to this forum :notworthy::notworthy:

I think my original post explains.

I am in the process of working out how to sort out the for sale section and delete old threads - lots of old and unnecessary posts in the now.

Perhaps a time limit on of 2 weeks and folk kindly informing when items sold?

I'm quite happy for input on tidying up the section:)

Anyone can join this forum you still have no idea who you are dealing with unless they have posted on here for a while!

I think even though people may have posted on here a while, we still don't know who we are dealing with, unless you really know someone in person :err:

Guest nishman
So what are the qualification rules for being allowed to submit a "for sale" post?

Is there a minimum time period that you have to be member for or perhaps a minimum number of posts you have made, or perhaps a minimum number of posts that you have viewed or some other ludicrous rule.

Are there any other types of posts that new members can't submit?

If there is a "for sale" forum then allow it to be used.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris - now you've just moved house, are you planning a bit of a clear out then (and worried you won't be able to post them on here)? You're missus was allowed, but maybe you're not going to be...:biglaugh:

Sorry - couldn't resist mate ;)

Chris

Guest Rob and Clare

There just seem to be a lot of people just in this forum to sell things at the moment - or just joining to sell things.

I do recognise the fact that there are those of us who have products and services but most do put in a lot to this forum :notworthy::notworthy:

I think my original post explains.

I am in the process of working out how to sort out the for sale section and delete old threads - lots of old and unnecessary posts in the now.

Perhaps a time limit on of 2 weeks and folk kindly informing when items sold?

I'm quite happy for input on tidying up the section:)

I agree with the morality of what your suggesting, but there is nothing in the rules of the forum that I've read that stops you from joining to sell some stuff. So Shanners1 comment is right, how long is a while ? If you don't stipulate how many posts or how long you need to be a member then as a moderator you alone are making a decision which can be biased towards people you like or don't like. I think you need to be completely transparent otherwise you are open to criticism, and you guys already get enough of that.

Guest Guest75
I agree with the morality of what your suggesting, but there is nothing in the rules of the forum that I've read that stops you from joining to sell some stuff. So Shanners1 comment is right, how long is a while ? If you don't stipulate how many posts or how long you need to be a member then as a moderator you alone are making a decision which can be biased towards people you like or don't like. I think you need to be completely transparent otherwise you are open to criticism, and you guys already get enough of that.

I'm fine about it.

It has been noticed recently by the Mod team that this has gone on.

There are no clear guide lines so I hope that people will just be reasonable about it.

Perhaps introduce themselves and put a bit in.

Think of this forum as a cooperative.

The For Sale section is one of the sub forums that I'm asked to look after and I've been looking at tidying it up and running it fairly.

I really don't want to cause controversy or be seen as Draconian - but my back is broad:p

There is always the concern that the flood gates will be opened and it would be very hard to get back to the way this lovely forum runs now.:)

I agree if the poster has only joined so that they can sell items, it should be deleted. But if the member has been on the forum for a long time then it should stay. Just my opinion.

I agree Moosh, I am a little tired of people who on there first post have a house listing, short term rental or stuff for sale. I too think its great that we can help each other out by selling unwanted items or promoting businesses, but I also think its out of order to come on here purely to sell things. I agree with Tyke! I dont think that there is any right or wrong as regards how many posts a person has to put on here before they can sell but I would suggest that they should have contributed to or started discussion prior to selling things - Just my opinion!

Damn,and just when I was going to advertise my son's outgrown cricket bat up for sale!!

Quite agree with Tyke and the others though - it's a community rather than a market place, so if you come along, join the community, and contribute something - even if it's just an introduction and a hello - then fine, but don't just sneak in, sell you stuff then run off never to be seen again....bit like Delboy and Rodney!!

Diane

But on the other hand if you can get something you need at a reasonable price ....

I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the reaction of the mods.

There are some posters on here who just come on to get advice and never contribute anything else.

I have to admit I quite like the for sale section.. times are tough.

Guest allyk2000

As a person that has only ever posted items for sale, I thought I'd chip in my two cents....

I have been browsing these forums for a while but never felt the need to contribute, and i am sure there are others like me.

I decided to post items for sale before I return to the UK as I have experienced first hand moving to Australia and appreciate how difficult it can be. Had I been aware of a resource such as this website things would have been much easier!!

But my point is that I would rather have the opportunity to help out someone out who is in a similar position that I was in.

There may well be people posting things to clear clutter but if it helps people then is it really such a bad thing??

A way of deleting threads when the items are sold would be really useful though.

ALLY

Guest mayjess

I dont see why there cannot be a separate section made for people selling there unwanted items, we all know how expensive it is moving to Adelaide & then all the other costs involved, when we come back over, we will be needing a car etc so it would have been useful to just come onto PIA and see who was selling what I am looking for. Just my opinion:err:

Mayjess