Calling all geordies,,,,

Guest carl

Hi everyone,

Been in Adelaide for 8 months now and starting to get a bit sick of continually repeating my self to Aussies and thats with trying to speak clearly.

I was brought up in Bedlington so any body that has any knowledge of the north east will say that I speak like a PIT YAKKA.

I work with a Cockney Geeza,,,ha ha,,,,and a Scouser and they dont seem to have any problems.

Any advice would be appreciated and please neeeee suggestions about Elecution lessons.

Have a good day,,, Carl.:arghh:

Hi Carl.

I am from Benwell in the West end of Newcastle and I work with all proper northern Aussie's...it makes me laugh every time I talk as they really struggle to understand me. Also one of the lads where I work is off the lands and mainly talks language, so he has absolutely nee friggin chance atall...I am looking for a place like Waterstones in the Metty to get a "wor Geordie lingo" bible.

Sorry there is one lad who is a true blue Aussie that understands me but he has travelled the world and even understands Mackems...just...lol.

My advice is just blind them with the lingo and let them work it oot them sells...lol...good luck and HOWAY THE LADS. ;-)

Guest K.gordon

Ha, just reading the above and I'm laughing my socks off. I'm a 'Sand Dancer' by birth (South Shields to the rest of you), dad's from Cramlington and mum's a Londoner - lost my accent donkey's years ago but Dad's is still strong. My hubby is a Scot and when we go 'home' I still have to translate so to speak!! Howay the Lads :)

Guest Guest75

Some Aussies think I am Scottish???????????????? !!!!!!! When I have had a drink.:wacko:

Nowt wrong with my Yorkshire accent.:cute:

Ya just have to slow down for the Aussies!!!!!:wink:

Those imported from southern climes of the UK fare easier as a lot of the original migrant population was from the southern UK.