Free logs

Northy

Guest Guest5035

if you didn't live out in the sticks i'd be there right now..might pay to put up a piccie or two, do you realise that the logs might earn you a few $$$ on Gumtree

stevo

Just P M you details, sorry for delay, hope to see you soon & thanks...

pepper tree smokey? Not sure? We had open fire @ last address & we burnt red gum- nightmare, filled the house with smoke - thats when it would stay lit.....was a right pain...give me coal any day, lol

Interesting. I'm learning stuff about pepper trees :)

If its the non native Brazilian pepper tree its considered invasive it seems. And some Gov blurb tells you about it http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/hort/flor/flodpw/harmfulplants.pdf?noicon

Seems the other types, Californian and Japanese are not great either.

Am doing some reading on pepper tree wood being burnt atm.

OK, I've done some reading and some websites and reports point to burning Brazilian pepper wood as dodgy because of toxins released. It seems to advise to not burn because of this.

ETA - My reading indicates that the Californian pepper tree might be ok to burn but am doing some more reading.

ETA again, found this online - Californa Pepper (schinus molle), is a soft, fast burning wood. Seasoned, with average or dry moisture content it is a "smokey" wood not suited for burning in a fireplace or wood stove. It is however a fantastic wood for barbeque or smoking.

Brazilian pepper still seems to be coming up as a don't burn at all wood. I found this article on it. Sounds like a real pest http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090201/ARTICLE/902010339

and this one

http://www.keepbrevardbeautiful.org/education_pepperbusting.html

I've learnt something new anyways :)

Edited by snifter
Added more + link

OK, I've done some reading and some websites and reports point to burning Brazilian pepper wood as dodgy because of toxins released. It seems to advise to not burn because of this.

ETA - My reading indicates that the Californian pepper tree might be ok to burn but am doing some more reading.

ETA again, found this online - Californa Pepper (schinus molle), is a soft, fast burning wood. Seasoned, with average or dry moisture content it is a "smokey" wood not suited for burning in a fireplace or wood stove. It is however a fantastic wood for barbeque or smoking.

Brazilian pepper still seems to be coming up as a don't burn at all wood. I found this article on it. Sounds like a real pest http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090201/ARTICLE/902010339

and this one

http://www.keepbrevardbeautiful.org/education_pepperbusting.html

I've learnt something new anyways :)

Hi,

Thanks snifter, i've too learnt something now you've mentioned all if that, but am a little confused now. Arborist who cut the tree down, recommended selling on @ $350.00 a tonne or $50 a trailer load.... said it was ok to burn....

Guest Guest5035
Hi,

Thanks snifter, i've too learnt something now you've mentioned all if that, but am a little confused now. Arborist who cut the tree down, recommended selling on @ $350.00 a tonne or $50 a trailer load.... said it was ok to burn....

hence my posts earlier..

stevo

Hi,

Do you know what type of pepper tree it is? It may well be ok to burn, everything I read listed specific types were ok, others not. If it were me buying it I'd be wary if I knew it was Brazilian pepper having read about them being toxic when burnt. The side effects may turn out to be mild (or strong) but I am asthmatic and if it affects airways I'd defo not want to risk burning it inside. And I'd not want a smokey wood to burn indoors (done that before here and it was awful, house stank). Great for smoking meats though.

I know in the UK when I've had a woodburner or fire they are specific as to what woods you should burn as some are not suitable and can leave lots of tar behind and clog up the chimney etc as well as being smokey or some such. I know Yew is a no no over here along with things like evergreens like leylandii as they spit really badly and burn almost too well and leave an awful amount of tar behind. I'd not risk using that even in a woodburner in case a spark gets out and lights.

I did find one link about 'Australia pepper tree' and it lists as being the Californian pepper, in which case it would appear to be fine to use on BBQ or outside but people should be wary using inside due to it smoking badly. If that is your tree then :)

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&ibra=all&card=E37

Wouldn't have a clue what sort of pepper tree but am presuming it's the one thats ok to burn....otherwise the arborist wouldn't have recommended selling? But hey, what do i know, i've only been here since Jan, lol. wasn't trying to get rid cos it's dodgy...just far to busy at mo to split into logs for re-sale so thought i'd offer other poms before sticking it on gumtree.

Stevo, are you from notts or nottinghamshire? We are from n'shire...

Wouldn't have a clue what sort of pepper tree but am presuming it's the one thats ok to burn....otherwise the arborist wouldn't have recommended selling? But hey, what do i know, i've only been here since Jan, lol. wasn't trying to get rid cos it's dodgy...just far to busy at mo to split into logs for re-sale so thought i'd offer other poms before sticking it on gumtree.

Stevo, are you from notts or nottinghamshire? We are from n'shire...

Don't worry, didn't think you were trying to shift it because its dodgy :cute: I only read up on it because I read someone else saying about the wood smoked a lot so chucked into google the name of the tree and got all the info back. Found it interesting reading (I did the same on spiders the other week and was much amused at what I learnt).