First Car Wanted - Auto

Ashleigh

Hi Everyone,

So i'm a bit of late driver and finally passed my test this week! I am looking for my first car, I just want a cheap run around to begin with until i am a bit more experienced then i will invest in a more expensive long term car!

If anyone knows of anything available please let me know. I am South but willing to travel. As long as it runs that is the main thing :-)

Hi Everyone,

So i'm a bit of late driver and finally passed my test this week! I am looking for my first car, I just want a cheap run around to begin with until i am a bit more experienced then i will invest in a more expensive long term car!

If anyone knows of anything available please let me know. I am South but willing to travel. As long as it runs that is the main thing :-)

Hi Ashleigh,

Congratulations on passing your test. I too was a late driver...at 30!

What type of car are you after & what's your budget? We are looking at selling our 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander in the next week. Its been a great vehicle, were going overseas for a while so its no longer needed.

I will get some pics and put up a post shortly with all the details.

Nat & Gaz :-)

Trouble with enquiries like that is they offer a restricted choice and could result in something being bought that wouldn't have if the purchaser had more options open to them. Also there is the element of "hard sell" (whether actually present or not) that could sway the purchaser towards something they don't really want.

Just one tip, even if you're buying a small cheap runaround don't compromise on safety features. Was having a discussion with someone the other day who was saying lots of people buy cheap cars as their first main vehicle and that's often a false economy as it's new drivers that really need the safety features (ABS, airbags, etc). It's also well worth doing a day's defensive driving course, there is a company called Driver Dynamics I think that runs one from an Airfield in Adelaide somewhere. Bearing in mind that however good a driver you are, the roads are filled with those who are not!!

Sorry,. bit off topic and can't help with the car - we went through a similar search a couple of years ago for our daughter and ended up with a Mazda 2 which was a good compromise between cost, size and safety.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! Managed to get a little snazzy Holden Astra (2006) from a really great place in Glenelg with full service history, decided safety had to come first and worth spending the extra, we have a little one too so not worth taking the risk x