Maxing your baggage allowance

Guest Pies

Guest Pies

Hi all,

This morning I booked flights to Adelaide - BA via Melbourne, inc 46 kgs of luggage plus an additional sports bag (diver!) plus as much hand baggage as I can carry (normal on most airlines is 7kg).

How? BA charge £72 if you book in advance for an extra bag, no weight restrictions on carry-on luggage as long as you can lift it onto the hat rack unassisted. I was charged £540 for flight, £72 for the extra bag, all in economy.

How did you max your baggage allowance?

Pies

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tess4

Hi pies i tried to do the same and was told i might be charged again with qantas as the first half was with BA,the flight was glasgow to heathrow ba1489 then heathrow to singapour ba0011 then the last singapour to adelaide ba7382 but operated by qantas. Can you tell me if your last part is with qantas and have you herd this.

looking to book for the 30th june.

tess

tracey,steven,stephanie,ewan

from sunny clydebank

Guest ReadyPenny

Yes you need to be careful with that guys - if your flights are not with the same carrier all the way through the journey, you could come unstuck. Double check to make sure

mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you need to be careful with that guys - if your flights are not with the same carrier all the way through the journey, you could come unstuck. Double check to make sure

mandy

Ok, I am now in Oz with my 80kgs of luggage and 20kgs hand luggage - it cost me an excess of £90. But it was a close run thing!!

If I had turned up at the airport with all the luggage, BA would give me an extra sports bags worth, BUT charged me at £25 per kg for all other excess.

BUT, because I had contacted the call centre a few days and asked them what the script was about excess luggage, explained to them that I had booked through BA in order to take advantage of their excess baggage policy and tried to book excess bagggage online but system had failed, they put a note on the system saying I was entitled to sports bag and one excess bag at £90. (normally it should be £72 if checked in online 24 hours ahead of the flight)

So they had to honour it at the airport................................nor did I get charged the £25 excess they normally charge for bags in excess of 23kgs, so result all round.

Moral of the story: check, get confirmation and stick to your guns (I should add that on both calls to the call centre and discussion with the ground staff at Glasgow they all had to defer to more senior colleagues).

OK, then it took 3.5 days to get here and 4.5 days for the luggage to arrive, but I'm here now...........:jiggy:

Hi pies i tried to do the same and was told i might be charged again with qantas as the first half was with BA,the flight was glasgow to heathrow ba1489 then heathrow to singapour ba0011 then the last singapour to adelaide ba7382 but operated by qantas. Can you tell me if your last part is with qantas and have you herd this.

looking to book for the 30th june.

tess

tracey,steven,stephanie,ewan

from sunny clydebank

Helloooo sunny Clydebank! I went with the immortal line "the flight I have booked has a BA flight number - therefore I assume you will be honouring the BA booking terms and conditions" which then sent the call centre person to discuss with manager who said that would be fine.

In fact I went via Melbourne and flew with Quantas from London with my luggage checked through from Glasgow to Adelaide, although I was told that I would have to pick up the luggage at Melbourne and transit to domestic. No mention was made to the amount of luggage I had at any time and I didn't have to show my excess luggage payment etc.

This didnt happen as my luggage didn't make it past Heathrow T5 on Monday night....surprise, surprise! :skeptical::arghh:

The key thing is check and get a note added to the booking - bringing excess baggage at a fixed rate for the flight. At the very least under BA terms you should get a sports bag (see their website for details). No proof of your sportsmanship is required.....

Best of luck and I hope you don't have the mad flights I had - 2 nights in Heathrow, every flight delayed (for the record 3 hours, 24 hours, 12 hours and 3 hours......).

Quantas are very good if there are issues though. BA were just not in the same league.....

PS if you are on a BA flight, then none of these problems exist - BA booking conditions apply throughout. Only when another codeshare partner is involved may there be an issue

• 2 weeks later...