Anyone flown from Mcr with Cathay Pacific with excess luggage weight?

Guest GIPSY

Guest GIPSY

Hi

We are flying one way on 3rd June with Cathay Pacific from Manchester and only have 20kg each for our luggage (don't ask!). We are more than likely going to be over by about 10kg in total and wondered if anyone else had gone through with Cathay with excess weight without the extortionate charges?

We have flown with other companies from Manchester with much more weight and always been fine,no extra charges, but never flown with Cathay.

Cheers

Hayley

Guest jorose

Hi there Are you starting off with Cathay or going to Heathrow then taking a Cathay flight? The reason I ask was that this is what we did. Took BA down to Heathrow then Cathay. We were over probably by the same amount as you and it cost 25GBP, I expected hundreds. It was one inclusive charge right the way through. This was only in January so the info isn't too out of date. HTH :-)

Guest GIPSY

Thanks Jorose

We are Cathay all the way, but £25 sounds great, I too am expecting hundreds, lets hope they charge us the same as BA!

Cheers

Hayley

Guest stufi1997

Hi Hayley,

You should be ok with the advice since Cathay doesn't seem to fly from Manchester they must sub contract the flight with BA.

Good luck with the flight,

Fiona

Guest Andrew&Ren

hi

we flew with S'pore airlines but were over the weight limit!:embarrassed:(think it was my make up and shoes that did it! lol)

Anyway we sent the excess over with Excess baggage and it arrived fine. They take all your details and get in touch once its here ours took about 10 days, u have to pay fees over this side (about £100) but then they deliver the baggage free to your address.

Hope this helps!

Hi

We flew with Cathy Pacific and we had 24kg each. We checked in at Heathrow and Hong Kong really early and we had no problems and were not charged. Good job that they didn't weigh my hand luggage as I took the maximum size and it was packed with heavy stuff.

Guest countdown1975

Hi,

My hubby and I are flying from Manchester to Adelaide one way on 8th August. I saw on our opodo booking form it says 20kg but when you look at the booking on BA and Cathay Pacific it says the weight is 23kg. I did see that they charge £25.00 for anything over the checked in luggage flat fee and no bag can weigh over 32kg

We are going to be taking an extra bag - I don't care if we have to pay extra - we need more than 1 case each. Let us know how you get on

Safe journey

Vicki :-)

Guest chris hughes

Yeah we came out with cathay pacific weighed cases at Manchester no worries got to Honk Kong to board flight to Oz they weighed them again,said we were over weight and wanted 5oo quid for baggage .had a right do with them why didnt they tell us this at Manchester .Instead they waited till we got to Honk Kong .I think there just a load of robbin b--------.We had to leave 2 suitcases of clothes at HK to be disposed of .I would never fly with them again .my advice to you is be very careful and check your baggage weight hope it goes ok chris

Guest countdown1975

Didn't get that option when we booked ours - do you think it would be worth contacting them to find out if we can get get extra baggage - just read the post from wizzywozza and nearly had a fit!

Hi,

My hubby and I are flying from Manchester to Adelaide one way on 8th August. I saw on our opodo booking form it says 20kg but when you look at the booking on BA and Cathay Pacific it says the weight is 23kg. I did see that they charge £25.00 for anything over the checked in luggage flat fee and no bag can weigh over 32kg

We are going to be taking an extra bag - I don't care if we have to pay extra - we need more than 1 case each. Let us know how you get on

Safe journey

Vicki :-)

Hi

Just been on their website and I can't find reference to the £25 flat fee anywhere. Where did you see this? As we are going on a 475 and can only get the minimum allowance and so wouldn't mind splashing out an extra £25 for some extra allowance.

Cheers

Howard.

Guest countdown1975

Hi,

I'm sure I had seen it - had another look on their website and it looks like the charge for an extra bag is £90. I am panicking over baggage now - don't mind paying a bit extra if I have to but not hundreds. I know you get more baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines but they were way more expensive and the way things are going - every penny helps. Have written to them to see if they will give me more - will let you know if I hear anything. When are you flying over?

Guest ninaperks

We flew with Cathay from Heathrow to Hong Kong then onto Adelaide in March. We couldnt believe how crap the baggage allowance was considering we were emigrating! And we didnt get an option of having extra allowance. We were over on most of the bags but they didnt charge us, either at Heathrow or HK. The plane was nice from H to HK but not so good from HK to Adelaide. I would use them again all in all!

Guest sandar1

When packing look at the things that are really heavy ie; shoes, handbags, toiletries makeup. Decant the last two into small portions, you can buy the rest of the stuff when you get here. You can cut back on undies etcetera, I know it sounds crazy but they all add up you can wash as you go and your shipment will arrive not long after you and they are all things that you will have to replace eventually anyway. When packing your jumpers etcetera, bring the ones that are lighter even if they are bulkier, buy the shrink bags to put them into. I travel all around the world quite often and carry hardly anything, you can manage. Its hard enough travelling without having to lug around a bunch of stuff. My son on the other hand takes everything he has ever owned with him including his pillow and his blanket he has had since he was 3 (he is now 27 and way to old to have a blanky), it is such a damn pain travelling with him. All the best.

Sandra

How bizzarre, we are going to Heathrow then Via Hong Kong with Cathay and have been told we can have 23K each? Its all so different.

We are so overweight but are just sending a box by sea, cheap as chips and just some clothes we won't need (and lots of kids toys) until we've been there a while.

Guest countdown1975

Hi,

For the people that flew from Manchester to Adelaide - can I just ask if you had to physically check in again at Hong Kong (retrieving your luggage again) - did you not get a boarding pass for the whole journey?

Thanks Vicki :-)

Guest jorose
Hi,

For the people that flew from Manchester to Adelaide - can I just ask if you had to physically check in again at Hong Kong (retrieving your luggage again) - did you not get a boarding pass for the whole journey?

Thanks Vicki :-)

You get all your boarding passes at Manchester. No need to queue. We know that because we did :arghh: Ha ha, only to be told we didn't have to. So you check your luggage in at Manchester, get your boarding cards and that is it. Next time you see your luggage is in Aus.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob&SamThomas

We flew Cathay Pacific from Heathrow on 4 June this year and were probably about 5kg over and nothing was said to us and we didn't incur any excess baggage. It's probably the luck of the day and who is on the desk and how nice you are to then. Good luck.

• 2 months later...