Discovered why Car Insurance is cheaper!

jo_marnes

Just a quick warning that full comp insurance here doesn't cover personal injury. I know this is all detailed in your policy etc but when we did ours we didn't think about this.

I've since had an accident in the car, I was the one at fault and have now been stung with excesses on the cover. First off was the $300 basic excess followed by a $400 excess as we have only had our Aussie licenses for a couple of months. Now today I get a call from the compulsory 3rd party insurance (that comes with the Rego) stating that the other party is claiming personal injury and I am liable for the costs with that too - excess of another $300. I wasn't even aware I'd have to do anything with the 3rd party insurance seeing as we have fully comp.

Just thought I'd let you know - just in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation :sad:

Jo xx

If you have fully comp it should cover the other person. You just have to give the details to the insurance company and they will send both of you forms and stuff. The 3rd party which is compulsory has an excess limit that you have to pay if they make a personal injury claim. You will not be up for their whole claim because you have full insurance.