Driving License

Guest jimdundee

Guest jimdundee

Hi

Both Me and My Wife have full UK driving license. We hope to arrive in Adelaide in October. What we would like to know is do we have to retake our theory/driving test or will we just have to have our license exchanged for a Australian license. We have searched the web but different sites are saying different things.:confused:

Hope someone can clear this matter up for us.

Thanks

Jason & Caroline

Guest katsmajic

We went along to our local license centre, at Christies Beach, applied and paid for a new license - straight swop for a full oz license - you just pay per year here.

You'll need evidence of address here etc - you have 3mths grace where you can drive on your uk license.

Guest Trakki

No test required you just go to the registration place (sorry can't remember what it is called) fill in a form, have your photo taken, pay a fee (can't remember what it is) you can pay yearly, 5 yearly or 10 yearly and you have your licence, well it gets posted to you, you get a cover note thingy in the mean time, ours took about a week. As easy as that.

You guys are so lucky! Back in 1994 I had to take the theory test and a full driving test to get my Aussie licence. I paid to keep it going even when living in the UK as there was no way I wanted to have to take the test again, only to find I could've saved my money as you don't need to take a test or anything these days!!:arghh:

The transport website does have info that's incorrect. You will be given your Uk licence back and issued an Australian one if you have the card licence (which most people have). My husband still had the paper licence and they kept that.

Depending upon where you are, Christies Beach is the best bet...takes about 15 minutes, you get a temporary licence and the card arrives in the mail in a week or so...but, you need proof of your residential address first so get a bank statement with your address on or you will waste your time going there.

Tamara.

The other thing that I should have mentioned is the medical declaration on the form. If you wear glasses or have diabetes (or other medical condition) they will call for an eye test or medical before issueing the licence. A friend of ours has diabetes and he had to have a medical...lots of expense which you don't incur if you put "no" to everything!

Guest DianeJ
The transport website does have info that's incorrect. You will be given your Uk licence back and issued an Australian one if you have the card licence (which most people have). My husband still had the paper licence and they kept that.

Depending upon where you are, Christies Beach is the best bet...takes about 15 minutes, you get a temporary licence and the card arrives in the mail in a week or so...but, you need proof of your residential address first so get a bank statement with your address on or you will waste your time going there.

Tamara.

Hi,

I went to Christies Beach Service Centre with my UK paper licence and was given it back! Maybe it just depends on who you get.

Diane

Guest kangomik

You can transfer a motorcycle licence to, but not so lucky with any HGV stuff.

The one in Modbury took about 20 mins to process, and it was packed i was very impressed.

• 1 month later...