Flying with car seats

Guest scmercer

Guest scmercer

Hi, I am emigrating to Adelaide in August and I want to take my son' s carseat with me to use in Oz. I dont want to use it on the plane but would like to try and use it as my free allowance for baby items with cathay pacific. Has anyone done this before. I am travelling with two babies and have two stops so I want it to be checked in with luggage rather than take it on the plane as I wouldnt be able to carry it.

Thanks

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya,

Unfortunately, your car seat will not be legal in Australia - we've got to get rid of ours before we get on the plane. It's OK to use on the flight (and we did this when we visited in September), but they have a requirement for a central fixing in order to be legal in cars out there. Which we didn't find out until we'd been driving around with it for three weeks. :confused:

Guest kellyp

Hi

Don't know about the car seats as my kids are much older. I travelled aborad with my three a couple of times a year when they were all under 3 and half (so quite close in age like yours) and have to say as long as you are well prepared with the usual bag of items (plus a few extras) it's all good. What fantastic ages for the kids to be coming out here, mine were older and took a bit more settling.

Good luck with the flight and all you have to look forward to here in Oz.

Kelly

Guest Carla

Hiya,

We flew over with Singapore Airlines in Sept '07 and brought our infant capsule (as part of our travel system pram) in the hold for use in Australia. I used the car seat in Oz for around 8 months with my daughter and am now using it for my son (who is 7 months). I had no idea the capsule was illegal in Oz, as it meets all the safety requirements for the UK (which I had always believed was more stringent on car travel).

Slightly concerned now after having read the earlier post and am going to go off and do some research!

:)

We just checked our baby seat as luggage no problems with singapore ( I didnt even think to ask if it would be).

Never heard that it is illegal in Aus, we are still using it and as it comes up to british standards and european standards I have no intention of changing it or to stop using it.

Hiya,

It's all on here:

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/road+safety/child+safety/child+restraints/the+law+and+standards+on+child+restraints/

without the Aussie sticker, I'm afraid it's not approved. Another expense, eh? :arghh:

Sharon.

You learn something new everyday, Oh well better get the wallet out again.

cheers

sion

• 3 weeks later...

Most people hire baby capsules from the Red cross or try 'hire for baby' . I have a 3 month old baby and didnt like the look of the standard capsule seats as they look like buckets. I hired a baby seat that looks more like the ones used in the Uk. It just has a base that is left in the car.

There are always sales on in one shop or another.. such as Target or Big W or Kmart for car seats, so look out for one when you arrive.

I bought 2 car seats with me when I travelled with singapore airlines.. it wasnt weighed as part of my luggage allowance, but check with the airline..

if you need any baby equipment when you arrive, you can hire most things from cots to high chairs from;

http://www.hireforbaby.com/about.html

good luck.