Should I take Christmas Decorations??

Guest allie

Guest allie

I know this sounds like a silly question but will the customs people let my christmas decorations through? I remember reading that they are vey picky about them as they gather a lot of dust. I really love them and have been collecting them for years (and iv spent a fortune on them!!) so i would like to take my tree and decs over in the container. If they are washd thoroughly and bagged up tightly (and obviously dust free!) will they be ok?

Im dreading getting fined for stuff that needs cleaning! Sorry if this seems like a daft question but im packing up the house at the mo and it just occurred to me!

Oh yeah, also do soft furnishing need to be steam cleaned and do the soles of shos have to be scrubbd clean? Questions, qustions......:arghh:

Thanx in advance!:cute:

Guest alibongo

Hi

we took some Xmas decs over with us.They wouldnt allow anything with pine cones etc in and our nativity set got confiscated as it had ferny type roof. But your packers should go through these things for you especially if you ask them. - Not sure why they allowed our through but still. As far as shoes etc go - yes they will have to be scrubbed to remove all mud etc and that goes for bike tyres and golf clubs if you have them - and we had to clean all these things with jeyes fluid.

Good luck with it all

Guest Guest75

No nuts /seed or untreated wood.

Apart from that you are OK.

Unless you have some really special deccies it's not worth it unless you do really have space in your container.:)

No to steam cleaning soft furnishings - but deffo clean any mud from shoes or anything!:)

We took our tree and deorations, never even got mentioned in the customs report we had. The only problem we did have was when the got to my kilt etc. Lots of stupid questions regarding my sporran, and they just dumped my kilt back in the bottom of the hanging wardrobe. Cost me $80 to get it steamed enough to get all the creases out. that along with all the smudged fingerprints ALL over my skean dhu, which took ages to get cleaned properley too!!

Hi - we've just sent our decs - just went through them and discarded the tree /pine cone decs/ nativity crib / 'robin' decs which looked like real feathers but weren't... anything that might draw too much attention really. Our shippers told us that the rest of the stuff should be ok, although customs are always interested in opening up Christmas dec boxes!

Guest allie
Hi

we took some Xmas decs over with us.They wouldnt allow anything with pine cones etc in and our nativity set got confiscated as it had ferny type roof. But your packers should go through these things for you especially if you ask them. - Not sure why they allowed our through but still. As far as shoes etc go - yes they will have to be scrubbed to remove all mud etc and that goes for bike tyres and golf clubs if you have them - and we had to clean all these things with jeyes fluid.

Good luck with it all

Thanks :) Im pretty sure that both the tree and the decs dont have anything that look like wood or pinecones but will def double check! Not looking forward to scrubbing all my shoes now....!!

Guest allie
We took our tree and deorations, never even got mentioned in the customs report we had. The only problem we did have was when the got to my kilt etc. Lots of stupid questions regarding my sporran, and they just dumped my kilt back in the bottom of the hanging wardrobe. Cost me $80 to get it steamed enough to get all the creases out. that along with all the smudged fingerprints ALL over my skean dhu, which took ages to get cleaned properley too!!

I would never have thought of the sporran problem! We will def have to watch out for that one as my hubby will def be taking his over. I cant blieve that they didnt hang it back up tho - that's just bad manners!

Guest UzinOz

Our deccie and tree were fine, as said previously no pine cones etc!!

Seemed like a good idea having lots of shoes until I had to scrub them all, not much fun :mad:

Good luck

Jackie

Can't say we did much with shoes other than a quick wipe down (actually, didn't do much more than this with garden tools because the shippers arrived a day early and we were caught unprepared). All passed through customs okay. We thought we'd removed the Christmas decorations that had pine cones etc but inadvertently packed a wreath and some table decorations - sure enough customs headed straight for the box with the decorations and removed these. We didn't have to pay anything, though.

Jim

Guest redfoxy

I had lots of nice quality expensive decos and gave them away. After we got here last christmas I had to re buy and it cost me a fortune and they are not as nice, it depends what you have in volume and quality and also it is always nice to have your own familiar stuff around.

I always maintain to bring as much of everythign as you can because its is usually cheaper than replacing, not to mention time spent shopping ! when its a job you want.

Yes there are rules about wood, cones and stuff.

Personally I dont think it feels like Christmas at Christmas !! LOL if that makes any sense. and tinsel and sparkly stuff looks a bit naff in the sun shine LOL.

Good luck anyway ? what part of Oldham are you from ?

Do you know Foxdenton Lane Chadderton ? and Blue Coat school ??

Lyn

[what part of Oldham are you from ?

Do you know Foxdenton Lane Chadderton ? and Blue Coat school ??

Lyn

HI there - don't know if this is asked to me ?? But even if it isn't i'll answer;)!!

My hubby actually went to Blue coat school! I've only been here 6 yrs - since we got married [lived and worked in L'pool prior to that] ... it's enough to make me emigrate LOL!! [only joking.. it's not THAT grim..:unsure:... well it is really!] x