driving licence

Guest Eddie Sankey

Guest Eddie Sankey

Can anyone tell me how to transfer a uk driving licence to an australian one, also can you change a motorcycle one at the same time

Guest Wersal Gummage

Its all very easy.

Just go into your local licensing office with plenty of ID pay your money and swap your UK one for a Ozzie one.

Motorcycle can be changed at the same time, no problem, or if they're combined, your Driving license will have the letters added as they do in the UK.

I think the Motorcycle letter is R.

Guest the4hopes

We went to the office at Marion, not sure where others are. Took about 20 mins for both of us, just a word of warning, you have your photo taken then aswell!!

Laura

Yup about 20 mins or so, but they will ask to see your passport with the visa stamp in it. And both parts of your driving licence from UK if you have the new style photocard. My bike one was done at the same time, they give you a wee scrap of paper to keep until they post out your photocard South Aussie one.

Guest ben&sharon
How much does it cost?

We did ours on Monday and paid $150 each for five years - you can choose how many years to buy on a sliding scale. That was just car for me but the same price for car and bike for my husband.

Guest Willowmead2

I have been led to believe that you have to take a theory test before you can convert your UK driving Licence to an Australian one. Is this still the case ?? as it sounds from the thread that you just go into a Licencing office and pay to have it converted. We have our 176 Visas and are making the move on 4th September. If there is no theory test, that's one less hoop to jump through !!!!

Guest simon from spain

Sorry to stick nose into this thread but I also have a question about changing our driving license. We moved to Spain 5 years ago but still have our address from UK.

My question is did you have to show any ID with UK address to match address on the license?? or is it just proof of person ie Passport?

Cheers

Guest ben&sharon

We had no re-test of any description. They just needed our passports with visa, UK driving licenses (we took both parts but she wan't very interested in the paper bit), evidence of our address in Aus (we took printed statements from the bank - and this is actually quite an important point, 'cause if you haven't had any bills addressed to you here, you'll need the bank paperwork). They also needed to see another proof of signature - we just used our credit cards. Then you pay the bill, have your photo taken and they give you a temporary license until yours turns up in the post.

Guest Willowmead2

That sounds excellent, thanks. We will be in SA so hopefully with completely clean UK licences, we shouldn't have to take a theory test.

Guest Eddie Sankey

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I don't actually have a bike licence yet but was hoping to do it before i leave, i don't think that will happen now. Does anyone know where to take motor bike training in the Seaford area as thats where we will be arriving in October.

Eddie (me) 37, Lorna(better half) 39, Kerry 13 and David 9.

Seriously, if you can, do you class A bike licence in UK befor eyou come over. It is a 4 day intensice course and gives you your full un-restrcited licence. Over here there is a lot of messing about, and very restrictive in time frames etc before you can get on a bigger bike. You have to do a two days course to get your learners licence, which will then give you the right to ride a smaller restrited bike, then you have to go to do your advanced R-date course, and depending on timing, you then have to still be restrcited on power to weight ratio for a certain time frame. It is also somewhat more expensive. However the training centre closest to seaford is the one at Oaklands Park, opposite the outdoor swimming pool. But try to get it done before you come over if you can, makes it so much easier. Only my advice on it. If you have any queries, log onto to a bike forum i started, and ask some questions, people there will be able to give you all the advice you need. www.realriding,org

Shaun