used cars - where to get one?

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

We are looking at Used cars to buy when we arrive. I cant beleive how much they are or how bland they look!!! Anyway, we want a hatchback type with 5 doors. Any suggestions where to look? Have been looking at adeladiegumtree and ebay but wouldnt mind going through a dealer for a bit more reassurance. We know nothing about or have much interest in cars!!

Thanks

Hi guys expect to pay alot more than you would back in the UK for a used of the same age....they certainly hold their value here.

And the Aussies run them, and run them, and run them until they run no more.

They dnt have MOTs here, so there are some right wrecks out here....

You might get lucky and catch someone on here that may selling a car.....

HG

Good luck

Guest allie

hi :)

we were amazed how much the cars cost too! For our budget we will need to buy a car that is 8-10 years old, which is practically unheard of here now! I didnt know abt the MOT so i suppose that is def something to watch out for! If we find somwhere then il lt you know :)

Allie

Hiya,yes old cars here are megabucks for their age, but the car scene here is anything but bland.The Aussies love their motors ,beyond anything i ever saw in the UK,and there are thousands of old pristine and cherished cars about,alongside ultra modern sleek machines that put the average ford or vauxhall back home to shame.Dont worry,you will find something to suit you here,there are thousands to choose from . Car sales here is big business,Auctions,private and dealers.

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi guys,

"Finding" a car will be the least of your problems. Just take a trip up and down Main North Road, South Road or Port Road for starters - car yard heaven.

Second hand cars hold there value very well over here, but suprisingly most brand new cars are cheaper. The Aussies say things like "my car is ONLY 6 years old" but i guess with the climate they last, and last , and last ......... The lack of annual testing means you can run them for ever but also means you could buy a lemon, if you're not careful. You should check the history of any second hand car, particularly where it was originally registered and avoid any that have come from interstate. Sydney, in particular have annual testing and when their cars start to fail, they get sent across to places like Adelaide, Perth, Tassie coz they know they can sell them. Brisbane and Sydney also send a lot of fixed-up storm damaged cars over. If you stick with a dealer you can't go far wrong.

The other thing about paying a lot is that when you re-sell, you will probably still get a lot back for it. The best site for checking car values is www.redbook.com.au

Good luck, Kazza

Just be careful when you are buying, like you would be in the UK. We looked at a second hand car once which was being sold privately in the paper. It seemed too good to be true and it was. I asked the man selling it to write down the licence plate number, noticed he'd written it down wrongly but luckily remembered the right number. We checked it out and it turned out to be have been involved in a serious accident in Mount Gambier and written off - but the guy selling it was a kindly old retired gentleman. So have your wits about you!!

Guest Guest75

You would not go wrong calling in to see Big Al Renfrey at Peter James Motors.

Al is a top bloke and looked after a LOT of people I know.

He gives good and honest advice.:):)

The yard does not have that many small hatchbacks come through but definitely worth a call in to see him.

His no is 0411 642807

http://www.peterjamesmotors.com.au/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mrs DizzyRascal

Hi Emma we were supposed too meet you in the house of marbles before we flew out in June,we'

re from Bovey Tracey. Theres loads of used cars places on South Road we are now looking for our2nd car,as the surf boards were too big, let me know when you arrive,or if theres anything we can help you with. The weathers getting warmer now and we seem too do is surf(even my yougest whos 5). What area you in- we're in Coromandel Valley renting but like Flagstaff Hill too buy, al the bestxxx

Sarah 37

Nick 38

Harry 13

Mariah 12

Shea 5