20kg baggage allowance...what to take and what to leave??

Guest allie

Guest allie

Hi all :)

We are trying to gt our flights booked but cant find an airline that will let us prebook excess luggage. They all want to charge $50 per extra kilo!! It would work out really expensive so it really isnt an option to pay that! BA will let us prebook but cant guarantee that the connecting carrier will allow it and may charge us anyway:arghh:

We were thinking of bringing things like the ipod docking station, dvd player and dvds and some personal items to make the shoprt term rental a bit more homey...but not sure if we can now. We can get another 7kg each in hand luggage (plus the laptop and my handbag for free) but with the restrictions on carry on items im not sure how much we can do with this?? Any tips or ideas on how to make our allowance work for us?

Advice gratefully received as always!:notworthy:

We opened an account with hifx to transfer money over and they were offering one way flights with Quantas 40kg allowance, well we snapped their hands off!!!this was in March/April though so it may not still be on, go to their website, there's a number on there and you can ask them, it's also free to open the account, they dont charge when they transfer either.

Or as already mentioned, you can get a removal company to do you a box with excess luggage to send with you, someone suggested this on here before, I wish I'd thought of it when we came over!!!

Guest the4hopes

Make sure your hand luggage bags are lightweight when empty, we made the mistake of taking wheelie cases and they weighed 3kgs empty!! 4kgs isnt alot to go in a case! We brought loads of cds and dvds (out of the cases) and put them in the travel holders. Get a big hand bag and stuff it full.You can both have one. You just aren't allowed sharp objects, even tweezers, and liquids over a certain amount.

Laura

Depending on the visa type you may be able to access the double baggage allowance offered by some Airlines. We travelled on a PR Visa & had the double baggage allowance with Qantas, the only thing was that you have to fly all legs on the journey with the same airline. When we booked our tickets we had to send copies of our PR to the Airline for the increased baggage allowance to be granted.

Good luck!

Guest Fly Away

We only had 20kgs limit too.

We bought the largest size hand luggage allowed, filled it until it weighed 7Kg. We wore clothes with lots of pockets, our heaviest shoes, our jumpers and our coats. We then filled all our pockets - even the kids - with small heavy items.

After check in but before security we removed our coats and jumpers and put all the heavy items into the hand luggage.

We also packed anything electrical looking in our laptop cases. That stuff can be very heavy.

Ironically we flew with Cathay and they told us that they unofficially allow 25kgs before charging excess baggage.

As our container had already left we did have some extra stuff and we sent that by seamail - cost us £60 for a case of clothes.

We also air freighted our business papers, the wii, my jewellery.... so we only had to do without it for a couple of days. You could air freight your stuff as it is cheaper than excess baggage. If anyone is interested we can recommend a good air freight company.

Guest guest3462

Hi, we had a similar problem. We had 25kg allowance each for the 4 of us on the long haul flight, but then to save money, we didn't book a seat for our youngest from perth to Adelaide as she was just under 2years old, but we forgot that we would lose the luggage allowance!!!! We were a total of 44kg over!!! We gave big dough eyes and luckily the kids were tired and screaming so they just let us go through with no excess!

However, Singapore airlines do offer baggage allowance of 40kg if you prebook. Wish we'd have known.........

You can also get single boxes of belongings air freighted out which costs about £150. Google it though, cos loads of firms do it and you'd obviously have to shop around for the cheapest option! The only thing with that is getting it flown at the same time as you, otherwise its a return trip to the airport to collect it!

Good luck xxx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mrs DizzyRascal

Hi All

We had the same problem we flew with Cathy Pacific and they were really strict, we brought through in our hand luggage,3 laptops and my sons x-box and our hand-luggage was 7kg but laptops free, and 20kg for our luggage, dont forget to pk tin-opener and corkscrew essentialxx

Guest Allie Bloss

we fly out on 4nd oct with singapore airlines, and have it in writeing from them (email) that as long as we show we are emigrating then we will qualify for double allowance, e.g. from 20kg pp to 40kg. ring up the airline your dealing with or email, and get something in writeing so its not your word against theres on the day. good luck!

Guest Hatters04

Emirates now allow 30kgs as standard when you travel economy class. It may be worth checking with them for a higher baggage limit if you're emigrating.

Good Luck

When we flew last year with singapore I just called to confirm the 40kg allowance as I was told it was some sort of an agreement with the pr visa. I did request an email to confirm what they said on the phone just for my piece of mind really but I cant remeber if they sent me one.? no problems and had lots of heavy cases though lolx

kathx

• 10 months later...

When we came 5 years ago on PR visa the travel agent photocopied our visas when booking the flights for us with Singapore Airlines and the tickets came with 40kg each on them - and we needed it!

We are now returning to the UK and when I booked the one way flights with Singapore Airlines I asked them if there was any way they could give us any extra allowance. They have agreed to give us 28kg each free of charge.

Guest tinkham_lee

Hi

I came over alone and only had 20kg too, I filled my suitcase to the limit. filled my hand luggage to 10kg, had my food in a carrier bag, (if they ask tell them it will be gone before you board) put one coat inside another and carried it on. laptop with all the paperwork, cd's etc 10kg. wear 2-3 pairs of trousers, 2-3 tops, heaviest shoes/boots (I wore my walking boots), and fill your pockets (even the pockets in your coats if your carrying them on) it may be uncomfortable but you can take it all off once you are checked in. I did all this and didn't pay a penny in excess charges.

Also a little tip, I know a lot of people don't want family going to the airport but, they do come in handy at the airport. check in online, and leave most of your hand luggage with your family out of sight from the bag drop desk, that way they don't see you have got lots of hand luggage.

Its very unlikely they will ask to weigh the hand luggage when you board as they presume it was weighed (and any fees paid) at check in or bag drop.

I know Singapore do 40kg for PR but this in on your first entry to oz on PR visa, so if you have already flown to validate your visa they wont give it you when you migrate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Broadheads

I have been checking this out recently, as we are coming out shortly, and thought it may be usefull for people to know what Singapore Airlines told me today about the additional baggage allowance:

If you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely, and then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger). This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia and the double baggage will be granted after, the visa has been verified by our staff at the check-in counter on the day of your departure.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

the total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

no single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

I hope that clears things up a little!

So we do not qualify for the additional amnount as we validated our PR visa some time ago during our reccie - shucks!

We are flying with Etihad and despite phoning and emailing them i cant get anywhere with them even though im a guest member. My tickets say 20kg each but they have told me by phone i can have 23kg and 30kg but they dont seem very confident. My internal flights are with Quantas and they offer extra pre-booked baggage at a really good rate but Etihads rates are £30 per kg!

When i ask about migrants allowances they just act dumb.

Guess il just have to wear 20 layers of clothes!

Guest clubatlantis

We are flying our with Air Asia from Stansted, you can pre-book extra weight and pay for it whilst booking with a 5kgs hand luggage restriction, but they only fly to Brisbane, Perth & Melbourne. The problem we had is the onward flight from Perth to Adelaide, we are flying on Virgin Blue and their restriction for normal fare is 23.0 kgs with 7.0 kgs hand luggage. You can have extra weight, but you have to buy a different ticket which was 6 times the price each !! We are going to take essentials and have the rest sent by SEA. You can also use a courier company for airfreighting essentials. Remember to have them insured in case of loss.