Hand luggage

Rich & Chit

Can't speak for Cathay but I do know that Qantas haven't weighed my cabin baggage in 5 flights this year. Keep it to within their allowed dimensions (should be advised on their website) and carry it as if it weighs nothing when you have to.

Good luck with your move!

I carried a coat(pockets stuffed with heavy stuff) Laptop in a bag of course, which also had scanner, camera and whatever else could fit in. Canvas style shoulder bag ( yes that's my handbag to carry my purse, passport in ...plus change of clothes etc ) and then my actual cabin bag. Saying that though my son's cabin bag got weighed at Manchester, they told him to stuff everything in his hold baggage and they wouldn't worry about the extra weight there but the 7 kg was an OH&S thing. When we came through 2 weeks later they didn't weigh anything.

My daughter, husband and baby left on 6th Aug flying Qantas to Uk. They were about 9kg over, between the three of them and had a moderate amount of hand luggage, as they were carrying baby stuff and food for the trip. Qantas kindly tried to charge them $85 a kg for 6 kg excess, so they emptied stuff into my bag and I had to send it via Aus Post. This was all done at the counter and their hand luggage was weighed as well. They were just under with that. It all took so long and I felt bad for the others behind in the queue. Maybe the Check-in people have been instructed not to be too generous, now, as it has never happened to me before. The plane was not full.

Guest countdown1975
Hi all

Just 5 days to go, flying on Sat. We're using BA from Manchester n Cathay Pacific onwards just wondered,how strict are they when it comes to hand luggage? Does it really have to be 7kg?

'Will appreciate any input-

Hey guys,

We did the same on 8th Aug - they didn't even look at our hand luggae. My dad had got one of those hand weight things - not worth a crap. According to that it said our bags were under the 20kg and when we weighed in they were both 25kg!!!! The guy was going to charge us but for some reason didn't but said we had to be 23kg on the way back to which our reply was we weren't coming back and then he softened. It all depends on who you get I think.

Hope you have a good flight - where are you going to be based when you arrive?

Vicki :-)

Guest caoimhe
Hi all

Just 5 days to go, flying on Sat. We're using BA from Manchester n Cathay Pacific onwards just wondered,how strict are they when it comes to hand luggage? Does it really have to be 7kg?

'Will appreciate any input-

Having worked for airlines for 15 years I know that it just depends who you get, they are supposed to weigh but most don't bother

Guest guest3462

We came with Malyasian airlines and we dinit have to weigh our bags. They all weighed at least 10kgs and the laptop bag was mopre like 15!!! It weighed a tonne!!! We also had a pram bag which was free carry on which was stuffed full woth clothes, coats toys etc.

Pack it all in and if all else fails, wear your coat, no matter how daft you look in August and stuff all your pockets full, then take them off and put it all in your hand luggage after check in!!!

Have a safe and magical journey

JC xxx