Licence needed for scooter??

Guest fuji70

Hiya

I want to get a scooter as I had one in the UK and it was cheap and handy. Can anyone advise me of the laws regarding licences etc?? Is it similar to the UK in terms of riding below a 50cc until you've taken a test.

I've looked at a few web sites, but I'm getting differing advice.

Thanks in hope

:huh:

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi

Do you have a uk motorbike licence? Hubby has full uk motorbike licence and it was added to Oz driving licence no probs and now has 1100cc bike. We bought our son a 170cc scooter for his 18th. He had to apply for a provisional and then had to do a compulsary 2 day rider safe course ($340 approx). He can now ride up to 650cc on L plates. He has 2 years to pass test. Try www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycle+licences

for more information. I hope this helps.

Thanks Linda

I don't have a UK motorbike licence. I stuck to 50cc which meant as a long term driving licence holder, I didn't have to take any expensive tests. I'll have a look at that site. Money is tight at the moment to say the least, so the fewer tests etc I need to do, the better!

Thanks again

Jo

Guest LOOBYLOO

Hi Jo

We spent ages looking into this and as far as I can tell you can't ride any motorbike (even 50cc) unless you do 2 day rider safe course. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Hi

Do you have a uk motorbike licence? Hubby has full uk motorbike licence and it was added to Oz driving licence no probs and now has 1100cc bike. We bought our son a 170cc scooter for his 18th. He had to apply for a provisional and then had to do a compulsary 2 day rider safe course ($340 approx). He can now ride up to 650cc on L plates. He has 2 years to pass test. Try www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycle+licences

for more information. I hope this helps.

Can ride up to 650cc on L plates as long as it's on the LAMS list which looks at power to weight ratio as oppossed to engine size. Not being picky, but just clarifying. He would not be allowed to ride say a 600cc sports bike due to the power to weight ratio associated with these bikes. So he can ride any bike as long as it is on the LAMS (learner legal approved) list.

Guest kangomik

i think things like RGV 250 and Aprillia RS 250 are off the list, as Shaun says it's power to weight ratio.

Someone did post somewhere that they got a full licence by holding a UK provisional for a bike, i think they skipped the course this way.

It looks like you will need to do the 2 day course Fuji, which is never a bad thing (apart from the cost) bikes don't use the road here like they do in the UK, filtering is very rare for example.

i think things like RGV 250 and Aprillia RS 250 are off the list, as Shaun says it's power to weight ratio.

Someone did post somewhere that they got a full licence by holding a UK provisional for a bike, i think they skipped the course this way.

It looks like you will need to do the 2 day course Fuji, which is never a bad thing (apart from the cost) bikes don't use the road here like they do in the UK, filtering is very rare for example.

If you have done the CBT course in the UK, then you don't NEED to do ridersafe here but i would still advise it, again though, this is for when you are riding something bigger than 49cc scooter, but you must have done the CBT in UK, not just a provisional licence. And yes it is power/weight ratio. There is a list of bikes on the LAMS list on the sa transport website. And as for filtering, depends on the rider. Some Aussies wont do it, but everyone i know from UK on a bike still does it, i know i do, else it's pointless using it to avoid traffic jams.

Sheesh it's confusing!

I didn't need to do the CBT in the UK. If you passed your driving test at least 11 years ago, you can ride up to 50cc with no L plates and no test.

If and when I get a job, I'll look into doing that rider aware test. If I get a job that demands a car I'll have to go down that route anyway. Would rather not tho.

Great drivers over here aren't they? :huh: