Car purchase versus Leasing

Guest blindwatchertrev

Guest blindwatchertrev

Anyone got any thoughts on the following.My wife and I, both in our late fifties, will be resident in Adelaide throughout 2010. Clearly access to transport will be essential but we are unsure whether to purchase a second hand car (newish, reliable,perhaps something like a Focus or an Astra) which can easily be flogged at the end of the year or lease for the period.Has anyone else had any experience of this type of thing? I would be very grateful for anyones views.

Also, would anyone like to comment on the quality of public transport facilities in the Adelaide area. We shall be resient in the Goodwood area. Thanks for your help. Regards to all.

Goodwood is not far from the city and you also have good access to the trams and buses. However, it is difficult if you want to go to other areas, like the South or Northeast as you almost always have to go into the centre. Would you be working? and in what area?

There are always good secondhand cars available, but whether you would be better leasing depends on the deal you can get. Does it include licencing and registration costs?

I have only come across leasing for a four year term, used frequently by businesses.

We are hiring a car shortly for only a week, and I would not like to have to to do that for a year, by the time we pay all the fees and charges. It will cost us about $80 a day.

Guest WoodMartin

We have been here just over a month and travelled everywhere by public transport apart from a few days when we moved into our new home when we hired. Had no problems, have been able to get everywhere we needed, eg job interviews, shopping either by bus, train, tram or on foot.

We always said we'd buy a car if we needed one (never had one in the UK for the last 18 months either) but so far have not felt we'd need one. Maybe once we are working and/or the temperature goes higher we'll feel differently but at the moment I don't think one is necessary. Agree with cliffy tho' - most journeys N to S or E to W involve going via the centre which could add time to a journey, depends where you want to go I suppose!

Used cars seem to hold their values well here, and I think it would probably be best to think about buying, and selling again when you leave.

I am over 60 and the costs to be aware of include insurance )my Camry is about A$350 year, Car registration about A$350 and driving licence at A$42 a year each, if you get a modern car from a reputable source then it hopefully will not need much spent on repairs etc.

Bus and public transport is quite cheap, and we have some friends in North Adelaide who live here now who have decided to do without a car altogether, but this would not suit us.

Best wishes

Guest blindwatchertrev

Thanks for the replies people. Seems that leasing in Oz is quite complicated and not that viable. Shall be looking to purchase then and hope that when its time to say goodbye, that the second hand market is bouyant. Again...cheers for your help.