The Gritters are Out!!!

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

Here in England the gritters are out tonight already :arghh::arghh:

I've heard that you get the occasional ground frost in the hills over winter....PERRRRRLEEEASE tell me that the gritters dont exist over there...fingers crossed

Guest Guest75

No ,we don't have gritters here:)

You can tell we don't get any snow or ice by the steepness of some of the house drives.

We occasionally see a few snowflakes in the middle of our winter in the hills but it does now lay.

36c here BTW:cool::cool::cool:

Guest angiestaff
No gritters because of the cold, but when it gets hot, the electricity grid overloads and they turn the power off so you can't use your air con! Grrrrrrrrr...... (sitting here in 36 deg heat with no power to cool us down!)

that would not be fun!!:mad:

how long do they turn the power off for? and does it start to affect the food in the fridge/freezer? don't fancy having to replace my bloody food each time they do that!! lol

ange

Guest Guest75
No gritters because of the cold, but when it gets hot, the electricity grid overloads and they turn the power off so you can't use your air con! Grrrrrrrrr...... (sitting here in 36 deg heat with no power to cool us down!)

This normally happens "Ooop Norf" ,rarely get power cuts here - another reason to live with us in the South ;);):P

Guest thekings

I'd rather cope with power cuts in the heat than gritters in the frost. When the air con goes off I will be heading for the pool, the beach, or my motorbike ;) But then we will be in the South so shouldn't matter :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
Our power went off yesterday from 3pm at work in Reynella so it does happen in the south off until 5pm,it got very hot in the office

Ssshhhhh!!! - Don't tell Diane that ;);):biglaugh:

I'd rather cope with power cuts in the heat than gritters in the frost. When the air con goes off I will be heading for the pool, the beach, or my motorbike ;) But then we will be in the South so shouldn't matter :biglaugh:

LMAO, i can bet you will go out on your bike once in that heat, and it won't happen very often after that!!!! When you realise that after you have spent an hour peeling off your leathers you have lost 5kg's in sweat!!!! Not nice mate

This normally happens "Ooop Norf" ,rarely get power cuts here - another reason to live with us in the South ;);):P

It's because you lot down south don't need air conditioning so you don't overload the Electricity Hamster - you're all spouting so much air all the time!

The power wasn't off very long - and it was very strange as some things still worked - the flat screen TV, the internet modem, some lights, but not the clock on the oven, some of the plug sockets, and some of the lights - just when it came back on fully again it blew some vital component in the air conditioning so that's the only thing not working now!! And guess what? No air conditioning engineers available for about three weeks!!!! Just waiting for the gully breezes to kick in for the evening now so my elderly parents don't expire!

If you're an air con engineer in Adelaide it must be a license to print money!!!!

Guest kangomik

theres load of em!!!!!!!!!!!! oopppssss thought you said critters not gritters.

Theres a few raods get black ice in winter i am told, but very few and far between.

You won't need leathers on the bike, there was a loon out this weekend out in just shorts and helmet, not even foot wear!

When the air con goes off I will be heading for the pool, the beach, or my motorbike ;)

Its no fun on a bike in this heat I can tell you. Spent 5 and a half hours doing just that today. Having to fill your skid lid up with cold water every 30 minutes to stop overheating. Riding over 60 kph is like standing in front of a giant's hair dryer. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest thekings
LMAO, i can bet you will go out on your bike once in that heat, and it won't happen very often after that!!!! When you realise that after you have spent an hour peeling off your leathers you have lost 5kg's in sweat!!!! Not nice mate

Shant be wearing leathers in that heat.....got meself a lovely Triumph summer jacket, its got all the armour and strength with the beauty of some serious ventilation. :cool: just need to get the matching trousers now. The guy in the shop even said "you'll need to wear a jumper under that" :biglaugh: I told him it wasn't for Britain........will still be too hot though I expect :arghh:

Guest thekings

Sounds like a gap in the market there for air conditioned leathers :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Solar panel on your back to power it.....you may laugh but watch this space......now where's that Dragons Den application :biglaugh:

• 1 month later...

Riding in the heat is fairly easy if you have the right gear. A mesh jacket is essential and you just pour cold water over it every hour, or so, to keep nice and cool.:cool:

http://www.bikebiz.com.au/enter.html?lang=en-us&target=p3584.html&lmd=39304.604826

You can get mesh pants too.

edit: Oh yeah remember, pommie helmets are illegal here. You'll need to get one with the proper protective sticker or it wont work in oz conditions.

Guest thekings

Got me matching mesh trousers just before crimbo :D

been looking at helmets on google aus, whats a good make?? dont rate Arai's personally, what are KBC like?? AGV look good too....My personal favourite is RST: cheap as chips, light as a feather, no wind noise and in the upper end of all the latest safety test ;)