Flying via Singapore with Singapore Airlines

mathijohn

yep, straight from singapore to adelaide - about another 7 more hours!

and we did stick to the 20kg each!

but dh and i had a laptop bag each (filled with anything electrical: chargers, harddrives, disks), all 4 of us had backpacks filled to the rim (shoes, swimsuits [don't forget them for singapore airport!!], and i had a huge hand bag on top lol

...Also on the bagging allowance, is it a strict 20kg (BA give 23kg for our internal flight to Heathrow)...

Yes it is strict, they will weight it and charge you if you are over - weigh your bags before you go to the airport otherwise it will get expensive. We went with Singapore Airlines, had a 130 kg limit and ended up with 160 kg - we knew we were over but decided to try it on anyway as we needed all the stuff - they only charged us for an extra 5kg (we checked in very early), but it still cost an extra £200. For Singapore Airlines it was £38/kg all the way to Adelaide.

If you are emmigrating, you can get an increased baggage allowance with some Airlines, Singapore Airlines gave us a 40kg allowance.

Phil

We used BA for our internal flight and used the full 23kg. When you check in the bags ask for them to be checked right through to Adelaide and then you can just forget about them until you arrive over here. We had no probs with the extra weight. We also filled our hand luggage with as much as we could and none of that was weighed either.

Hope you have a great trip and it's nice to see that you are finally on your way.

Guest the terry's
Hi, Flying on 30 November. I was wondering is the flight from Singapore to Adelaide direct.

Also on the bagging allowance, is it a strict 20kg (BA give 23kg for our internal flight to Heathrow).

Many thanks for your help.

Moira

Hi guys, I'll be watching this post with interest as I've been looking at Singapore Airlines as well, today (19th Nov) in fact and yes it is direct. Let us know how you get on and what they're like, been on Qantas but not Singapore.

Helenx

P.s It's a lucky day as well, as it's my birthday on the 30th !!

Hi there,

We travelled with Singapore Airlines. Couldn't fault them. excellent with the children so that made my life easier.

We must have got lucky as although our cases were within the 20KG limit we had packed loads in our hand luggage and was a bit concerned how we were going to carry it (too heavy for the children to carry), along with the childrens wuite large cuddly toys/pillows - anyway when we checked the guy asked if we wanted to check any extra bags? we looked puzzled and said that we thought we could only have 20Kg each and he said don't worry, if you want to check some of the hand luggage we could, Free of Charge. It was great, checked in extra 2 bags and just kept the two with things that we would need. We did check in very early mind so don't know if that helped.

Julie

Guest MarkIngram

Hi there

We also flew with Singapore Airlines...fantastic flights....were great with the kids. We stressed a bit about our baggage limit as we were told it was 20kg and were told of the overweight charge (38quid per kg)...we left a few bits out of our case to get them under...when it came to checking in they didn't even notice our bags were slightly over (only a kg or 2)...but another guy was asked if that was all he had when they saw his visa.....he said 'I thought I was only allowed 20kg...and she said.....it would have been fine for him to have had more....we had our backpacks filled to the brim and they weighed at least 10kg (limit is 7kg) these were never questioned at all...but then with all the other stuff we had plus the two wee ones...couldn't have carried much more.

You just need to practise looking like what you are carrying doesn't weigh anything at all....and if you have small children with you they are a great distraction ;)

Guest steph&neil
We used BA for our internal flight and used the full 23kg. When you check in the bags ask for them to be checked right through to Adelaide and then you can just forget about them until you arrive over here. We had no probs with the extra weight. We also filled our hand luggage with as much as we could and none of that was weighed either.

Hope you have a great trip and it's nice to see that you are finally on your way.

Hi we checked from Aberdeen straight through so went the full 23kg no problems! depending on your visa you can ask for then for 40kg each but get an email confirming this - we couldn't get it as we came on a temp visa. Singapore airlines were fantastic! we felt that Singapore were better than Qantas, after flying with qantas for a return trip to the UK in July this year!

I would give Singapore 10/10 & qantas 6/10, hope this helps & you have good journey x

We fly with Singapore on the 23rd March 2010, From Heathrow to Melbourne with a 2 hour stop in Singapore. The plane will be a A380 all the way (which is what we wanted).

Our problems start there!!!!

We ideally wanted to have a couple of nights in Melbourne then Drive the Great ocean road. trouble is now the expence of it all.

We are now looking at an internal flight from Melbourne to Adelaide around $375 for family of 3, the only problem is the excess baggage. we can travel 10,000 miles around the world with the 40kg limit but going 500 miles might cost us $500.

this is because Singapore don't do internal flights.

If we had booked with Quantas we could have added this internal flight to the international one and 40kg would have stuck all the way.

Any ideas please!!!!!

Guest steph&neil
We fly with Singapore on the 23rd March 2010, From Heathrow to Melbourne with a 2 hour stop in Singapore. The plane will be a A380 all the way (which is what we wanted).

We ideally wanted to have a couple of nights in Melbourne then Drive the Great ocean road. trouble is now the expence of it all.

We are now looking at an internal flight from Melbourne to Adelaide around $375 for family of 3, the only problem is the excess baggage. we can travel 10,000 miles around the world with the 40kg limit but going 500 miles might cost us $500.

If we had booked with Quantas we could have added this internal flight to the international one and 40kg would have stuck all the way.

Any ideas please!!!!!

Hiya have you tried to call the qantas office in London? maybe worth a try explain the situ if they agree to let you have the excess baggage (or a discount for paying it now), make sure you have it in writing (email confirming), another idea would be to look at pre booking the excess baggage as it always costs more when you check in rather than pre booked, let us know how you get on! steph x

Any ideas please!!!!!

Or you could hire a car at Melbourne, drive the quick route (takes about 8/9 hours) and return the car in Adelaide. Some car hire companies let you do this - I think my parents used Europcar which you can book online.

We have spoken to Quantas/ singapore airlines and basicly we will have to stand the excess baggage for the flight to Adelaide, I think it would be $10/kg or about $7/kg if we pre-book. Worst case 50Kg

Singapore are getting us a price for swapping flights but we really want to travel all the way on a A380, we used seat guru and we are happy with the seats at the 2nd time if moving about the plane.

As far as Driving we would still need a hotel for when we land in Melbourne, don't really fancy a 8/9 hour drive on top of a 24 hour flight.

Hotels seem to be very expensive and there arn't many family rooms.

Not sure whether to ship my work tools (which would be part of our baggage) or just sell them after i've finished with them. majority have already been put in storage , its just hand tools and battery drill etc.. still worth more than what the excess baggage could be!

The train is certainly 1 idea.

If we were to hire a campervan would we need medicare straight away or could it wait untill we arrive in Adelaide.

Thanks to all that gave their ideas.:notworthy:

Hi there,

The link for the train is http://ausrailways.com/theoverland.html

The shuttle from Melbourne airport will drop you at Southern Cross bus depot but smaller buses will drop you at your accomodation as part of the service.

If you do decide to travel by train it might be a good idea to get some accomodation near Flinders Street railway station. We stayed in a Unilodge right accross the road and it made exploring and travelling real easy.

You should be ok with medical cover as there's a reciprocal agreement between Oz and some countries for medical care and your British passports will be enough.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi there,

The link for the train is http://ausrailways.com/theoverland.html

The shuttle from Melbourne airport will drop you at Southern Cross bus depot but smaller buses will drop you at your accomodation as part of the service.

If you do decide to travel by train it might be a good idea to get some accomodation near Flinders Street railway station. We stayed in a Unilodge right accross the road and it made exploring and travelling real easy.

You should be ok with medical cover as there's a reciprocal agreement between Oz and some countries for medical care and your British passports will be enough.

Enjoy your trip!

I think the train to Ad from Mel would have left before we land on the 25th March, so this might not be an option as i don't now when the next one would depart ??? (Train website page not displaying the Mel - Ad journey)

Thanks for the accomodation idea, they seem to be booked but the following might have avaliability.

These properties have availability for 25/3/2010 - 26/3/2010<LI class=yelsq> Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens Melbourne from £221.24 per night <LI class=yelsq> Rydges on Swanston - Melbourne from £164.48 per night <LI class=yelsq> Medina Executive Flinders St from £277.24 per night <LI class=yelsq> Rydges North Melbourne from £127.53 per night <LI class=yelsq> Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne from £115.89 per night

the price of one of these would be the equivalent to our excess baggage.

We have also payed for our holiday rental so it would be silly to pay for a hotel when we have a bed waiting in Adelaide.

I'm just going to have to get over it and pay the excess (whinging pom already LOL)

I'm still very happy that I have booked with Singapore, its just a shame they don't do internal flights that can be cross booked.

Thank you so much for all your help.