Cost involved in buying a car?

Guest Carolandcraig

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi, Well seeing as we fly just after christmas im trying to find out the actual costs of buying a car.

I understand that the "rego" is a sort of tax and covers third party to person involved but not damage done to veichles, is there any other cost involved?

Did i read somewhere that you have to pay some sort of tax/duty to the government or did i imagine that bit?

Hi

There's a thread here http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13407

We are looking for a car at the moment. Stamp duty is roughly about 4% of the car price - it applies to used cars as well,

Car Values Stamp Duty:

$1,000 or less 1% (eg, $1 for every $100 or part thereof), with a minimum of $5

$1,001 to $2,000 $10 + 2% on the amount over $1,000

$2,001 to $3,000 $30 + 3% on the amount over $2,000

$3,001 or more $60 + 4% on the amount over $3,000

and Rego is about A$600 for a year.

Just like the UK there are some dodgy cars & dodgy dealers, but some good ones too. Prices for used hold quite well here. Do some homework before you come if you can to narrow down what you are after, and the prices of the cars. The links below will help

http://www.carsguide.com.au/

http://www.carsales.com.au/

Phil

We have just brought a car from Hyundi Reynella, Rob Semolla (I think its spelt) He couldnt do enough for us. He sorted out the rego etc and broke it all down for us and them told us the price to pay. We have brought an Ford Falcon estate four years old to get the kids and beach stuff in. We are pleased. They have about 4/5 car yards as they call them and he brought cars from their other yards for us to see.

Hope this helps. But yes there is loads and loads of second hand and new car sales places.

Regards Janine

Guest Carolandcraig

Thanks for that, dont know how i missed that thread, looked for ages. already done a bit of reasearch and probably looking at at ford falcon or holden commador, but the fords are cheaper so possilbly that

We just bought a Kia carnival on Tuesday. We originally looked at Falcon estates but with 3 kids decided a 7 seater was more suitable. Having family here, they have all bought cars from Pickles auctions and you can get some good deals on falcon or holden estates there. They auction on Mondays but you can look at the cars all week and see their service history. We paid $13000 for a 2004 low mileage carnival from a private seller. £381 for Rego for 6 months and $480 on stamp duty. It costs $47 to change your driving license for a year, $150 for 5 years and $285 for 10. We opted for 5. It is quite imperative to buy separate comprehensive insurance (which my sister in law found out to their peril) as the 3rd party included in Rego doesn't cover damage to the other person's car but personal injury to them. A recent accident without comprehensive insurance set them back $12,000. When I was looking at cars I budgeted an extra $1500 to cover rego (and that was only 6 months), comprehensive insurance ($476 with a $300 excess) and stamp duty plus driving license. I wasn't far off my estimate.

Liz

Liz

Guest Carolandcraig
We just bought a Kia carnival on Tuesday. We originally looked at Falcon estates but with 3 kids decided a 7 seater was more suitable. Having family here, they have all bought cars from Pickles auctions and you can get some good deals on falcon or holden estates there. They auction on Mondays but you can look at the cars all week and see their service history. We paid $13000 for a 2004 low mileage carnival from a private seller. £381 for Rego for 6 months and $480 on stamp duty. It costs $47 to change your driving license for a year, $150 for 5 years and $285 for 10. We opted for 5. It is quite imperative to buy separate comprehensive insurance (which my sister in law found out to their peril) as the 3rd party included in Rego doesn't cover damage to the other person's car but personal injury to them. A recent accident without comprehensive insurance set them back $12,000. When I was looking at cars I budgeted an extra $1500 to cover rego (and that was only 6 months), comprehensive insurance ($476 with a $300 excess) and stamp duty plus driving license. I wasn't far off my estimate.

Liz

Liz

Many thanks Liz for the above info, i love the auctions so i will be checking that out for sure.

• 2 weeks later...