Part Exchange Prices

Guest markbevjake

Guest markbevjake

Hi all

I initially feel of my chair when I looked at the price of second hand cars in SA.:shocked:

The OH has made do with bangers for the last few years, bless, so if it's going to cost us a fortune for a car I started looking at new car prices which seemed more attractive by comparison.

My query is this, we won't be able to afford too much for a motor to start with, but when we get jobs we might look to upgrade to a new / nearly new car. Given that second hand cars hold their price, are there generally good deals available for part exchanging at the dealers. Obviously the answer will require a degree of generalising due to supply and demand etc. but looking for some guidance from people on the ground.

I know it sounds like a daft question but apparently there is no only a such thing as a daft question, only a daft person who doesn't ask it.

Regards

Mark in the snow and cold, how's the heat?:P

Guest cornish Busdriver

Yeah you seem to get a pretty good trade in price.

We traded a excel in against a fairmont for the missus and got 2K for the excel even though the fairmont was only up for 5k cause of its high milage 245k but thats nothing to worry about if its been serviced regulary and the excel was a total dog.

Most second hand cars are in great condition and automaticly comes with 3 months warrenty but its easy to extend it.

I brought a 2002 holden belina 3.8 v6 in brilliant condition for 9k and only 148k on the clock from beach road auto center at christies beach. Great guys down there and acutally quiet honest as well.

Guest Richard&Judy

Good day Mark.

This web site is an must for any one looking to buy or part exing a car, don't pay more than this site recommends. http://www.redbook.com.au/ ;)

BTW if there's not such thing as a daft question what sort of question do daft people ask ? or do they become intelligent just before they ask :err:

Guest cafehag

Bear in mind that used cars look expensive compared to the UK because cars typically last twice a long here, probably averaging 25 years compared to about 12 in the UK.

Therefore, a ten year old car in the UK is viewed as an old banger (being only a couple years from being scrapped) whilst, here, the same car is considered to still have most of its useful life remaining, and is priced accordingly.